ItsThatGuy

I'm 14. Would you let me pack for you???

Season is over here in Michigan, but next year I hope to be packing at a DZ. My dad who is an FAA senior rigger has been teaching me about packing and rigging for a few months now and iby next summer I hope to be packing at his friends DZ. Would this be possible for me to do or would there be some kind of limitation (Aside from skill)?

My 13 year old did a little bit of packing this past summer under my supervision (and with assistance). There were jumpers willing to have her pack for them. Part of the reason they were willing to do that is that I was closely supervising her. Will your dad be closely supervising you? At least to start? Will he jump your pack jobs?

If he will supervise you and jump your pack jobs than I would bet there will be a few jumpers who will let you pack for them. If you do a good job with those then other jumpers will start letting you pack for them, etc.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

ItsThatGuy

Season is over here in Michigan, but next year I hope to be packing at a DZ. My dad who is an FAA senior rigger has been teaching me about packing and rigging for a few months now and iby next summer I hope to be packing at his friends DZ. Would this be possible for me to do or would there be some kind of limitation (Aside from skill)?

My son started packing for me at age nine, my team at age 10 and any and all at age 11. He had over 3,000 pack jobs by the time he started jumping at age 17.

Offer to pack for a few people just to show your skill sets. Once they realize you have skills, you can charge them the going rate.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I let just about anyone pack for me :S and have had a number of reserve rides as a result :S but that's on me :P
Have also jumped a borrowed stiletto which turned out to have been packed by the jumper's son - hey it opened, if a little iffy. HIS next jump on that same rig did not, as said son had packed it again and had flipped the bag through a riser, said son was fired as packer after that :D

Nah, if I think you pay attention to detail and are a responsible person, you can pack for me anytime. Secret tip: don't flip the bag through the lines/risers B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Definitely! I started on round canopies at 6 years old for $.50 and moved onto the delta's and squares as they progressed. By the time I was 16 I probably had over 3000 pack jobs. As a result, the last time I packed was about 1500 jumps ago, and still no chops!
I always joked that the only reason my parents had kids is so they would have packers!:P
You can pack for me anytime!

It is ENTIRELY about performance. If you can pack well, and keep me on schedule, I would be willing to have you pack for me. If you screw things up, make me late, wander off when I need you, make excuses, and other such noise... my business will go elsewhere.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

In a heartbeat - provided your dad lets you pack for him. :)One year younger than the protagonist of 'Catcher in the Rye' - what could possibly go wrong? :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

snowcrash75

At least once :P
Seriously, I'm more concerned with your attention to detail than your age. If your known around the DZ for being reliable and on time, and doing what you say you will, I think that goes a lot further than just how old you are.

^^^ this

I think the girl that was packing my mains as a student couldn't have been old enough to jump, but she obviously took a lot of pride in what she did. When I went on jump one I was trying to find a 260 and she handed me the one she just packed saying "I just packed this one with a lot of love and care, it will open, I stand by that". I like when people take pride in their work.

So, If you pay attention, know how to do it right, and strive to take care so that every slider is up, everything folded and stowed properly, and will open to the best of its ability every time. Sure.

Just please don't be the reason a student has to do his/her first cutaway ;)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

ItsThatGuy

It's not up to me. As I understand it, you have to be packing under the direct supervision of a qualified rigger. (too lazy to look it up in the SIM)

If you met that standard and have a rigger that ok's it, I'd be ok with it if I wasn't planning on packing for myself.
Which, I usually do.B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I despise packing. I'd beg you to pack for me. I also support creating jobs for teens.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth