corpkid

So Excited!

My best bud will be here in 2 weeks and we are basically going to plow through AFF and hopefully get to A license in two weeks of intensive effort. We'll be bunking in Deland some nights. He just got out of his first tunnel experience in NH (an hour, over two days, with an awesome coach) and he's a natural from the videos I saw.... I've got like 5 hours with the pros like Ari, etc here in the Orlando tunnel. We have both also done a tandem together in Deland some time back. We are just stoked for this. Everyone laughs when I say this, but is it normal to be worried about canopy skills? That's the missing part. I'm sure I have freefall, etc down as I'm super stable and doing all kinds of nice turns, grips, etc. It's the last 100 feet that will kill ya!

Given that your more likely to get injured under canopy (or trying to get a canopy out), yeah, those nerves are justified. It's not the freefall or even the last 100 feet that will get you. It's the sudden stop at the end. You'll be fine though. Listen to your instructors and have fun.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

With hours of tunnel time, keeping track of your altitude and flying your canopy is really the only part that should prove troublesome. Even if you're not reasonably altitude-aware on your first jump (And I think you will be,) I don't think you'll miss the "pull" hand signal from your instructor. Flying the canopy really isn't that hard. I was lucky enough to have someone on radio talking me down the first couple of times and they told me when to flare. You can't really rely on the radio, though, and should always be prepared to fly a predictable pattern and land it on your own.

Flying the canopy isn't that hard. It's not a huge effort to steer it, especially for the gentle maneuvers AFF students will be doing. Just don't ride the brakes the last 200 feet (That was always my problem up until my canopy course,) look out toward the horizon like you would when you drive your car, and flare when you're at about the altitude where you could kick the guy who's talking you down in the face. And always be ready to PLF. They'll go over all that with you, and I think you'll find that it's reasonably comfortable to fly the canopy. They always have AFF students pull higher, so you should have less canopy traffic to deal with than the fun jumpers typically do.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

corpkid

My best bud will be here in 2 weeks and we are basically going to plow through AFF and hopefully get to A license in two weeks of intensive effort. We'll be bunking in Deland some nights. He just got out of his first tunnel experience in NH (an hour, over two days, with an awesome coach) and he's a natural from the videos I saw.... I've got like 5 hours with the pros like Ari, etc here in the Orlando tunnel. We have both also done a tandem together in Deland some time back. We are just stoked for this. Everyone laughs when I say this, but is it normal to be worried about canopy skills? That's the missing part. I'm sure I have freefall, etc down as I'm super stable and doing all kinds of nice turns, grips, etc. It's the last 100 feet that will kill ya!

You might consider reading,
http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/482.html
It gives a good understanding of how the canopy flies, among other things.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Ok to be nervous but you'll be "driving the bus" under a big canopy. Its hard to mess it up unless you REALLY try. When youre way up just do some turns and flares to get used to it. If you get too far out usually they will have you on radio. Keep relaxed, and you'll be just fine :)

Enjoy AFF, its exciting to say the least!
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Thanks all. Here's last week's HOUR (split) in the tunnel. Until I get student, they really don't want me on my back, though I've been begging to back fly.... Patience!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qus1ckggs58

corpkid

Thanks all. Here's last week's HOUR (split) in the tunnel. Until I get student, they really don't want me on my back, though I've been begging to back fly.... Patience!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qus1ckggs58

Hmm, in the first like 15 seconds you're already more relaxed than every AFF student EVER! Just keep that in the sky.

You could totally fly on your back now. It takes a while to get used to because all your controls are reversed. It's probably a good idea to wait and focus on good belly technique, though. There's still a lot to learn there which you'd miss if you just went stampeding on to freeflying. Get them to show you mantis style or something heh heh heh.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Keep in mind that the 'A' license isn't a finish line. It's a starting gate that opens up a whole new world of learning and skydiving, and it's not a race. Lots of guys tend to get into this with a final goal in mind, pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, because they saw it on the Youtubez. Freeflying, Swooping, Wingsuit Base.

What they don't see is the hundreds or thousands of jumps, and years of training it takes to get there. You wouldn't expect to win the Indy 500 after 7 times in a race car, or hours of playing racing games in front of a tv.

This sport can and will kill you if you let it, no matter how good people told you you are.

Learning on the ground is just as important as jumps, and tunnel flying is NOT skydiving. There is SO much more to a skydive than just flying your body.

With that in mind, enjoy the jumps, learn as much as you can, and don't ever forget, this is supposed to be FUN.

Blue Skies!! :)

PULL!! or DIE!!

corpkid

Everyone laughs when I say this, but is it normal to be worried about canopy skills?

Naw, that ain't normal . . . but it's smart! ;)B|

Everyone worries about the damn chute opening, but they are pretty damn reliable. If you've followed any of the stats you've realized many, if not most, fatalities now occur under fully open parachutes.

Now, the good news is you'll be under large, low performance, very forgiving student chutes when you start. Become a student of canopy flight, keep your head straight and follow the guidelines for learning advanced canopy control. There is a middle path in our sport that is well thought out and not too risky. Stay on that path and you're in for a lifetime of adventure and fun. Welcome to our sport. :)

It's called USPA, not USFFA for a reason. Deploying, flying and landing a parachute is the essence of skydiving. You should be as concerned as any other student, no more and no less. It already sounds like you mostly understand that and have a good attitude toward learning. Attitude is probably the most important part of your current skill set. Good luck and have fun.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The last 100Ft...You will still live.

Just watch out for the big rock. That bad boy always wins a game of chicken.

Have fun!!!
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Thanks all. That was the one fear I had was landing. I am not afraid of jumping and pulling. I am pretty sure I have that. It's landing. But, under that mega canopy it should be pretty easy as you all say. I guess I was just second guessing this. And fairly so - I've practiced in the tunnel for hours, but this - you can't really practice in a tunnel. :)

Here we GO!!!! Thanks!

Recommendation: Learn to PLF before you need it. I flared a bit high and stalled at about 10 feet leaving me a bit of a drop to the ground. PLF and was like "that was soft". Level 6 I came in and flared late, right into a mud puddle... and another PLF saved the day. Get a box about 2-3 feet high and just practice practice practice. My experience is limited but as a student I've found it an ESSENTIAL skill to prevent my ankles from exploding or hurting my back...

corpkid

Noted. I fu'd my back and have an L5 Herination . Getting epidural steroid shots = HUGE relief. The procedure sucks balls however. AGAIN here we go!!! LOL

Did this happen BECAUSE of skydiving?

LOL - you guys (and gals) are a trip. NO it was mogul run. Didn't even realize till a few months later. Either way it is better (thank you epidural steroids - not fun under the BIG SCARY needle stuff BTW). Just did some barrel rolls and back stuff in the tunnel and stoked for the next 30 next week to do some back "alignment" I'm all over the place and I've seen more of my coach's crotch than I want to (great guy though). I hear we will be pulling at 5k. So either way - that f'n chute is coming out before the hard deck. Thanks all! Buddy made me reschedule AFF till DEC1 (work). That's cool because now I can practice, practice and then ummm practice. The goal = don't die and pass, in that order. Fair enough? LOL