CSpenceFLY

Rumor of someone throwing a record attempt. (Intentional screwing up to keep an existing record in tact)

skyjumpenfool

USPA doesn't have the backbone to do something like that anymore.

Maybe, maybe not. We are the USPA, remember. Members need to complain. An S&TA needs to talk to an RD. The RD can petition the USPA. If there are enough complaints, then maybe.

But it stops with us, the membership. We have to act. Stop passing the buck off on the "USPA". Get off your ass (not aimed at Spence) and become a squeeky gear. IMHO as always. B|

OK, What do you want to do?
If anything at all should be done, I think censure is enough.
(Not that I'm going to get off my ass to tell the USPA that, I don't care one way or the other.)
Even if they do nothing, I'm pretty sure Simon will be regretting his actions for a good long time, should he continue with skydiving at all. I don't need to stick in another knife.
What do you want to do to him? Tar and feathers?
I guess I'm kind of soft on mistake makers, having made one or two myself.
But what do I know?

chemist

what does censure mean in relation to the skydiving world?

That was an option for a USPA response to this incident. In relation to the skydiving world, probably not much. People will react as they will, regardless of what the USPA does. For me, no USPA action is necessary at all.
But what do I know?

fasted3

***what does censure mean in relation to the skydiving world?

That was an option for a USPA response to this incident. In relation to the skydiving world, probably not much. People will react as they will, regardless of what the USPA does. For me, no USPA action is necessary at all.

Well, that was a big polysyllabic nullity.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

fasted3

Simon will be regretting his actions for a good long time, should he continue with skydiving at all. I don't need to stick in another knife.

I hope he does continue jumping, im visiting San Marcos soon and wanted to jump eith him:)He's a good skydiver and I reckon I could learn a thing or 3.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

They may be 'discussing' but I also suspect no one on the Board of Directors has the balls to do it.
They have had two fatalities where similar actions came into play, one of them where several emails were sent about a fatality waiting to happen before it did. Then when it did occur, they didn't do squat.

Then there was the event where the Comp Committee received evidence that a record event had been altered in Photoshop. They rescinded the record, no action taken against the organizer that allegedly Photoshopped the record.

Then there was a student injured in high winds/violation of BSR. No action taken against the AFFI or the DZ.

This is a new board, but it's a board mostly comprised of non-skydivers, and those that do skydive represent their own dropzones vs representing skydivers.

USPA themselves cannot take any action. Only the BOD can do so, and direct the USPA to act accordingly.

Squeak

*** Simon will be regretting his actions for a good long time, should he continue with skydiving at all. I don't need to stick in another knife.

I hope he does continue jumping, im visiting San Marcos soon and wanted to jump eith him:)He's a good skydiver and I reckon I could learn a thing or 3.

Well maybe you'll get the opportunity for lots of 1 on 1 coaching:D:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

****** Simon will be regretting his actions for a good long time, should he continue with skydiving at all. I don't need to stick in another knife.

Well maybe you'll get the opportunity for lots of 1 on 1 coaching:D:Pin spite of your sarcasm, I hope I do. His actions at this event in no way diminishes his ability or talent.
And I reserve personal judgments on people I dont know.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's sad how much hate in one thread! Sure he fucked up, I think everyone got it by now but come on, leave the guy alone! What he did was stupid, but seriously, right now all that is happening is people that probably never met him just following the crowd and coming up with more drastic ways to teach him a lesson. What do you people want to do before you are happy? Cut his hands off? Bury him allive? WTF, this thread is even more silly than what he did on the record attempt. Everyone who was on that jump and was affected by his actions can complain as much as they want but people that never met him should think twice before they write something...no matter how much someone fucks up it is not ok to ruin their life because of one mistake.

NO, I don't know him, never met him, never heard of him before this incident.

Squeak

********* Simon will be regretting his actions for a good long time, should he continue with skydiving at all. I don't need to stick in another knife.

Well maybe you'll get the opportunity for lots of 1 on 1 coaching:D:Pin spite of your sarcasm, I hope I do. His actions at this event in no way diminishes his ability or talent.
And I reserve personal judgments on people I dont know.

Twas tongue in cheek. I really do hope you get good coaching.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

crashtested

The amount of hypocrites on these forums is quite incredible.

Every single one of you has made a bad judgement call in one shape or form in your skydiving life, yet your trying to hang someone for their fuck up, are your lives that dull??

Its pathetic.... move on!!

As someone already said, there is a difference between making a "bad judgment call" and doing what this guy did.

Have I made split second decisions while skydiving, that in retrospect, weren't the safest thing to do? Yes.

Have I ever joined a group for the purpose of throwing the jump, while putting everyone else at risk? No.

This wasn't a split second "judgment call" by this guy. He had plenty of time to think about it... while dirt diving, while gearing up, and while flying to altitude. He decided to do what he did... so let him face the consequences of his actions.

crashtested

The amount of hypocrites on these forums is quite incredible.

Every single one of you has made a bad judgement call in one shape or form in your skydiving life, yet your trying to hang someone for their fuck up, are your lives that dull??

Its pathetic.... move on!!

Every highly experienced skydiver has made a screwup at some point in time. I once called a spot against high uppers over a mountainous region, and it was only because I knew of an off-landing location that we got everyone to a safe place. I fucked up in the airplane. It could have been much worse, and every person received a direct
The scenario displayed in this thread and relevant videos is different. It was pre-meditated, and although the skill displayed demonstrates that Bones was capable, the reactions and skills of others cannot possibly have been anticipated.
I have had limited interaction with Simon, and have had a very high respect for him. But the two videos make it pretty clear as to the intent. Simply not taking a grip would have been enough, without affecting the safety of those around, for example. Not participating in the jump would have been a passive protest. There are options that would not have put others in harms way.

dzswoop717

In the good old days, he would have got his ass beat and thrown off the DZ. Now thanks to the internet he can be beaten up by hundreds of people who had nothing to do with the situation. I miss the good old days.

In the good ol days, we had to be warry of every asshat that showed up at a DZ wanting to jump. We had no way of knowing what stupididty they were capable of. Those days are gone... deal with it.

Today, if you do something stupid, it WILL show up on youtube. You will be held accountable. As it should be?

I truely hope Simon gets through this. Just, not at any DZ I frequent. Sorry. [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

My humble skydiving experience and my even more humble opinion are as follows.
Bones made a mistake, very obviously he put everyone on that jump at risk. I can comprehend the reasoning behind him trying to preserve a Texas held record (admittedly us Texans are a proud bunch). I would like to see the rules changed on local and regional records to include only people in the vicinity of the DZ, but that is another matter altogether.
Personally I cannot state anything negative (or positive) about Mr. Bones, having never met the man. I will say that he did endanger his fellow skydivers on this particular jump, and in this community it has been made clear to me that being dangerous is one of the most avoided and negative characteristics of any skydiver. (There are old skydivers and bold skydivers, but not old, bold skydivers, is a saying for a reason).
However, as a new skydiver, I would like to think that this family is understanding and mature enough to forgive anyone for any mistake. The amount to time required to forgive someone may vary, but the forgiveness shouldn't. Bones made a mistake and put others at risk, that is no question, but also there is no doubt in my mind that he is a talented skydiver and hopefully he can show this community that he is as safe as he is skilled following this lapse in judgement.

Bones, get out there bite the bullet and admit your fault. Apologize to those who deserve an apology and start working to rebuild your image as a safe and skilled skydiver.

Nothing will be had by dwelling on the past, lets acknowledge our mistakes, learn from our shortcomings and move on as a family and as a community.

Agreed. Where the good old days? Take him behind the hanger, teach him "safety first", ban him from the club for 6months, and a round of beers. Done, move on.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

dzswoop717

In the good old days, he would have got his ass beat and thrown off the DZ. Now thanks to the internet he can be beaten up by hundreds of people who had nothing to do with the situation. I miss the good old days.

Yes, because physical assault is so much more better then few nasty words on a website nobody has to read.

Lukasz_Se

...no matter how much someone fucks up it is not ok to ruin their life because of one mistake.

Really? His life is ruined because people disagree with his actions in one thread on one website on the Internet? Really?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

potatoman

Agreed. Where the good old days? Take him behind the hanger, teach him "safety first", ban him from the club for 6months, and a round of beers. Done, move on.

I think there is a big difference between talent and sportsmanship. I disagree with all the ass whooping statements and general malice shown. I don't know the guy and know nothing about the circumstances that led to this. He is clearly a talented jumper and I really hope that he continues to jump.

As an observer the problem is that he showed a lack of sportsmanship and I don't know how and if you earn that trust once it is lost. Maybe it is the end of his record attempts, I don't know and if the facts are as presented I would not blame people for being hesitant to include him.

I can comprehend the reasoning behind him trying to preserve a Texas held record (admittedly us Texans are a proud bunch).

There was no reasoning behind his actions…..I think that is what everyone is upset about.

I am from CA and for 3 or 4 years running I was invited to participate in the Texas state record and the Texas POP’s record. When we succeeded it wasn’t my record or and other individuals record. They were Texas state records.

Hell a few years ago the Brazilian national record of 82 was set at Eloy.

Sparky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK1C6RGsJq4
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

potatoman

I think the perfect punishment would be to hold a new texas state record event. Make him be there for the event, but be grounded. Once the record is broken he gets to pack all ~40 rigs while the new record holders celebrate :P
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)