CSpenceFLY

Rumor of someone throwing a record attempt. (Intentional screwing up to keep an existing record in tact)

yoink

WHY did he torch the record? I still don't understand.

I'm guessing because of some idea that state records "belong" to the locals.

But, until and unless USPA requires that X% of state record participants are residents of that state, they're fair game for anyone, regardless of where they live. From the SCM, right now, the only restrictions on state records are that 51+% must be USPA members "For state competition and performance records, individual claiming records and at least 51% of group participants must be USPA members; the remaining participants must either be USPA members or hold the foreign equivalent."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

hookitt

I believe that in his mind, it was his duty to keep it all texans. Not a mix of texans, cali pricks, and whoever other non-texans were on it.

this is the funny part to me. all "texans" which i'm pretty sure simon is not from texas originally. also the last texas record had folks from out of state, including Cali pricks:D:P. Also that he "was" on the list for the Cali HD record in a week from now.
i like that he stood up for something but he went about it all wrong.

I can't remember the last time I even met someone at a Cali DZ that actually was from California originally.

Far more people are mid-west transplants or from overseas...

I'll be willing to grandfather in anyone that has either experienced a riot, an earthquake 6.0 or greater in magnitude, or been trapped in a "lockdown" during an active shooter situation.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

These days they've loosened citizenships requirements considerably. Now-a-days you must just have one of either of the following:

a) A yoga practice
b) Some strange food restriction
c) A job at google
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about

mattjw916

I can't remember the last time I even met someone at a Cali DZ that actually was from California originally.

Far more people are mid-west transplants or from overseas...

I'll be willing to grandfather in anyone that has either experienced a riot, an earthquake 6.0 or greater in magnitude, or been trapped in a "lockdown" during an active shooter situation.

My passport says "california" for my place of birth B|
cavete terrae.

waay back a long time ago.. I used to tell my jumping buddies who were big time INTO freefly.
" Stay Heads Up .....On that Heads Down"!!!....;)

Never figured that ON a BIGway Dive.....Someone would actually DO It....:S[:/]

a lot of skydiving REQUIRES cooperation........
It simply Isn't THAT difficult for everyone to "get On board " with THAT sort of game plan...:|.
IS it???

chuckakers

Love the reserve pillow grope at :19. That would have been one sporting deployment!

So dramatic...

That was the cutaway handle, not the reserve :P

Would've made a low main deployment more interesting though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm not saying what he did was safe- even he admitted that.

BUT. I can give a clue as to why. This year a lot of people spent a lot of money to go to camps and make the TX hd record. Yes, out of staters were invited, but a lot of emphasis was also put on preparing TEXAS jumpers for this. My boyfriend was one of those people. This record had been planned for a year and was successful. It was TWO MONTHS ago. I do find that quite disrespectful to go to Texas and do an unplanned attempt when most of the September jumpers were not there. Had they known another record would be attempted, I'm sure most would have showed up.

I know- all everyone is going to do is say what they didn't wasn't wrong. I strongly disagree. A lot of hard work and preparation was totally pissed on. Not cool. But yes. He handled it wrong. But that's not up for debate. He admitted that.
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

theonlyski

Love the reserve pillow grope at :19. That would have been one sporting deployment!

So dramatic...

That was the cutaway handle, not the reserve :P

Would've made a low main deployment more interesting though.

Ah, right you are, Ski.

Either way, this was a most f*cked up thing to do. In my 28 years of skydiving I can't remember ever hearing of someone sabotaging a jump or a record, let alone doing potentially deadly crap in the process.

I've known Bones for a long time. I am very disappointed. Not surprised, just disappointed.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Cheach

BUT. I can give a clue as to why. This year a lot of people spent a lot of money to go to camps and make the TX hd record. Yes, out of staters were invited, but a lot of emphasis was also put on preparing TEXAS jumpers for this. My boyfriend was one of those people. This record had been planned for a year and was successful. It was TWO MONTHS ago. I do find that quite disrespectful to go to Texas and do an unplanned attempt when most of the September jumpers were not there. Had they known another record would be attempted, I'm sure most would have showed up.

I know- all everyone is going to do is say what they didn't wasn't wrong. I strongly disagree. A lot of hard work and preparation was totally pissed on. Not cool. But yes. He handled it wrong. But that's not up for debate. He admitted that.

I'm sure they would have shown up too but you know what... plan another one and kill it. They beat it by 3 and it would have been 4 or 5 if Simon wouldn't have thrown an intentional fuck you mid skydive. I don't actually know Simon, but I sure wish he'd had better sense than to do that.

I was supposed to be at this event as were other friends of mine so it would have been even bigger had I been able to. Oh well, That's how it goes. I'm missing the Cali record too.

Did Simon say anything prior or did he just choose to fly like that instead?

I will admit this. I do feel bad for him. His lapse of reason has probably banned him from participation in many events for a long time, and some events for life.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Cheach

I know- all everyone is going to do is say what they didn't wasn't wrong. I strongly disagree. A lot of hard work and preparation was totally pissed on. Not cool.

If you get a record it can be broken the next jump or the next day, and if you think that effort and expense entitles your boyfriend to a certain period of grace then you're living in a fantasy world.

There's NO excuse for flying like that and putting 33 of your supposed mates at risk. None.

Cheach

I can give a clue as to why. This year a lot of people spent a lot of money to go to camps and make the TX hd record. Yes, out of staters were invited, but a lot of emphasis was also put on preparing TEXAS jumpers for this. My boyfriend was one of those people. This record had been planned for a year and was successful. It was TWO MONTHS ago. I do find that quite disrespectful to go to Texas and do an unplanned attempt when most of the September jumpers were not there. Had they known another record would be attempted, I'm sure most would have showed up.

You know, I've trained all season for a comp and had another team beat me. Was that disrespectful? No. It's the rules of the game.

You have no 'right' to a record.

Cheach

I'm sorry but that's horseshit and pretty childish.

It's a record, your BF has no right to it, no one does. Disrespectful? That's ridiculous. What's so ridiculous about attempting to break a record? In Texas or not, it's stupid to sabotage a record attempt because of jealousy or whatever.

It's great that they all trained and worked hard to get the record and then accomplished it! Nothing takes away from that. They still have their place when they were Texas state record holders. Hopefully, now that there's a new record, this will give them motivation to train more and break it.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

>I do find that quite disrespectful to go to Texas and do an unplanned attempt when
>most of the September jumpers were not there. Had they known another record would
>be attempted, I'm sure most would have showed up.

People with egos that fragile should not be doing record attempts. Records get broken all the time, and it is a near-certainty that anyone who gets a record will soon have it broken. If another skydiver's success will lead to someone feeling like they are being "pissed on" - better to not put oneself in a position to be upset in the first place.