CSpenceFLY

Rumor of someone throwing a record attempt. (Intentional screwing up to keep an existing record in tact)

How did "throw the jump"? If he was on the jump, why would he screw it up for personal gain? He's still have a record, just a bigger one.

Simon's always been a pretty stand-up guy in my experience. I don't get it.

- Dan G

it's no joke. from my understanding he was not flying safe on purpose to sabotage the record and almost got his ass kicked for his actions and after getting up from the fetal position, he was "asked to leave" and then posted to facebook the message in the pic in the op.

edit: the B-Team, if you know them, had nothing to do with this it's just where he posted.

Arvoitus

What record was it?

The Texas headdown record. It wasn't a planned record event until right before the jump, it was the Live Bigz event but that doesn't change anything. Also they went back up without him and set the record at 34.

Its funny, he said "these Cali fucks stealing our record" when he's on the list for the upcoming Cali record. Also a Cali jumper came to texas to help organize the last texas record. :D:D:D:D:D

dqpacker

it's no joke. from my understanding he was not flying safe on purpose to sabotage the record and almost got his ass kicked for his actions and after getting up from the fetal position, he was "asked to leave" and then posted to facebook the message in the pic in the op.

edit: the B-Team, if you know them, had nothing to do with this it's just where he posted.

From a friend that was there, he threw the record and then shot off about it in the landing area. Apparently they were having to pull people off of him.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

In what way was his flying unsafe? First hand accounts I've heard say that all he did was fly his slot head up instead of head down. For a guy with Simon's abilities, that seems perfectly safe to me.
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about

nutellaontoast

In what way was his flying unsafe? First hand accounts I've heard say that all he did was fly his slot head up instead of head down. For a guy with Simon's abilities, that seems perfectly safe to me.

I was on that jump. Here's a few things about large formation head down skydives:

1. Very high speed - this isn't like flying head down on a two way next to some jackass flying head up. Speed is your friend, especially on big ways. Simon's head up flying was topped out to keep up and he was running into people. That's not safe.

2. Stick to the plan - His flying was unsafe because he was head-up on a head down skydive. If you think that's not unsafe, you're not ready to fly big way skydives. If you happen to cork and hit people, people can get hurt or killed. If you think head up speeds are the same as head down speeds, you're an idiot. Simon was exhibiting almost no control trying to keep up with everyone else. He was not in his slot and busy trying to dock. And the chance of corking topped out head up is way higher than head down when you're busy trying to dock while running into people.

3. Simon's abilities are not impressive - I watched him bounce off the formation like a moronic retard on his feet. It seemed perfectly dangerous to me.

What Simon chose to do was throw a record attempt at the risk of the lives of the other skydivers on the jump. It was a callous and heartless thing to do, and I'm shocked there's skydivers with as much blatant disregard for other's safety. If you think that his abilities mean he's perfectly safe, by all means go make a 2-way mixed record with him in Wyoming or something.

Flying mixed creates different flight requirements also. The head down flyer and head up flyer must fly in a manner so as not to be disturbed by the burble of the head up guy. When doing mixed dives, that is taken into consideration.

Mr Toast, It's a lot more challenging to fly head up than head down especially at high speeds with precision. Next time you're in the tunnel, top it out and see how stable you feel just by yourself. It will give you an idea how sketchy it is when flying with others.

Most people that take head up grips, take them head down and transition. It's quite the art to fly head up and take grips smoothly.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

ryansass

...Simon's abilities are not impressive - I watched him bounce off the formation like a moronic retard on his feet. It seemed perfectly dangerous to me....

More or less dangerous than the day he intentionally flew a tube through - yes, through - 2 sit-flyers in the middle of a jump? Smacked 'em pretty good with it too. And yes, he bragged about it during the video debrief.

Impressive abilities necessarily include impressive judgment. Without it you are sport death.

Makes me wonder what goes through that boy's head - if anything.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Re: "So I threw the jump and now I've got a $1,000 debt on my account"

So what is that $1,000 debt he's talking about? Did someone charge his credit card $1,000 in retaliation for him sabotaging the record jump?

Re: "Maybe I went about it the wrong way, but when I threw the jump..."

And it sounds like he confessed to intentional sabotage, not once, but twice.

Re: "We can beat 34 easily on the next one though."

And THAT is the proper way to respond to someone beating your record - to go back out and do it again, even better. Not to try and retain a record by destroying attempts by others. This reminds me of when Tanya Harding had her henchman take out her ice-skating competition, Nancy Kerrigan. Shameful unsportsmanlike conduct!

nutellaontoast

When we jump from a plane with others, we need to "TRUST" each other! We need to know that others are capable AND WILLING to do everything in thier ability to be safe. We gain that trust thru experience.

Anyone that jumps with this person (and I don't think I know him) ever again is a fool. IMHO [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Boogers

Re: "So I threw the jump and now I've got a $1,000 debt on my account"

So what is that $1,000 debt he's talking about? Did someone charge his credit card $1,000 in retaliation for him sabotaging the record jump?

I paid $121 for the 5 jumps I did that day, and they were charging just around $25 for each jump throughout the weekend (cost varied between solo or formation loads). I don't believe Simon paid shit for what he did.