CSpenceFLY

Rumor of someone throwing a record attempt. (Intentional screwing up to keep an existing record in tact)

Squeak

I truely hope Simon gets through this. Just, not at any DZ I frequent. Sorry. [:/]

So not really "TRULEY":S

Spot on Squeak.

9 pages of pretty much the same people saying the exact same thing over and over and over .... it's like a conversation with the wife.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

9 pages of pretty much the same people saying the exact same thing over and over and over .... it's like a conversation with the wife.

I'm guessing the wife doesn't read dropzone.com.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I'm guessing the wife doesn't read dropzone.com.:D

B|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

I truely hope Simon gets through this. Just, not at any DZ I frequent. Sorry. [:/]

So not really "TRULEY":S

Spot on Squeak.

Hey, I don't know the guy. I don't free fly so I'd probably never have to jump with him. Right now, I'd choose to pass on any opportunity to jump with him.

In time, depending on how he handles this, my opinion (and that's all it is) may change. God knows I’ve made plenty of my own mistakes that I’ve had to live with. [:/] I hope he does something to sway my opinion of him. So, YES, I truly hope he gets through this. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I would like to point out:

Yes this is now 9 pages of bashing from people who are not familiar enough with bones or the event to be qualified to voice their opinion of him. Which is pretty much way forums are popular in the first place. None one lessons to me in person.

This thread would have never made it to 9 pages, if bones would have made public statement. Said his side of the story.

I believe the flame burns on because it is personal to everyone . I don't think there is one person who reads this forums that would not kill be talented enough to make head down record, and would love the opportunity. So basically bones disrespected everyone, but disrespecting such an honored opportunity.

CarlosDanger

I would like to point out:

Yes this is now 9 pages of bashing from people who are not familiar enough with bones or the event to be qualified to voice their opinion of him.

I would like to point out that you don't need to be personally familiar with the situation or the person to be qualified to form an opinion with the evidence shown.

That said, only idiots would try and defend his actions, and only small people would keep bringing it back up. People need to move on.

The guy can either suck it up, and try to regain some of the trust he's lost over time, or quit.
If people choose not to jump with him, or have him at their events, well, that's the consequence of his actions.

Boy, nothing like a nice juicy rumor to get things going. This is at least as gossipy as the worst of the threads in Incidents. Only in this case, the lesson is "don't fuck over your friends," rather than "don't do something that might hurt or kill you or a friend"

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

dzswoop717

In the good old days, he would have got his ass beat and thrown off the DZ. Now thanks to the internet he can be beaten up by hundreds of people who had nothing to do with the situation. I miss the good old days.

The 'Good Ole Days' of B.A.S.E. when you would ACTUALLY get tarred & feathered for blowing a site...yeah the simpler times! :D;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In reply to those suggesting a change to state record rules:

Those of you who live in states the size of Europe may forget there's an area of the country which contains the majority of the US population yet has much smaller states.

Many jumpers east of the Mississippi have to leave their state just to visit their home dropzone. I traverse four states in the two hour drive to my DZ which is situated on the border of two states. On any given jump we probably have almost as many states represented as we do jumpers.

At the very least he bought the load.
That's something.

While that doesn't by any means make the sin forgivable it does say he knows or accepts that he fucked up. OTOH if he gets home and cancels the payment.... all bets are off.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

normiss

I wasn't under the impression that he chose to pay for the load.

The way I read it was that they've debited his account into the negatives to pay for the load, so if he wants to jump there again he has to pay that out.

Could be wrong, btu that's how I interpreted it.
cavete terrae.

normiss

At the very least he bought the load.
That's something.

I saw a post on FB that he did not pay for anyone else's jump...from a Spaceland staff member wanting facts to be known vs. hearsay.

But then again...things may have happened since that post. Also, that group page has been taken down along with that post and all of the following posts.
Chad B Hall
Woo hoo!
My goal is to make every jump a fun and safe one. Blue skies!
Some of my videos...

skydiving was such plastic sport to a lot of you... until now.
She said, he said.
STOP! Think. This is a real sport.
It's a game and a joke to many of you. Even those of you with thousands of jumps.

That saddens me a great deal.

I care about skydiving and the skydiving community with every ounce of my life. It's clear that many of you do not.

Yes... it's difficult, to see someone that you want to respect and learn from, do an absurd action.

But the event did occur.

Ask yourself:

Do I want to love skydiving?
or
Do I want skydiving to love me?
I don't have a license for this.

Makes me sad. I am actually shocked that he did that. He preached safety prior to that jump. I think he is beating himself up, just like the comment said in the video. He was kicking himself on the drive home, sorry he did it, was not thinking of the potential consequences, etc... Yes he did post that comment after that in that forum claiming to be pissed at them for breaking the record, but maybe he was struggling with what to do about his PUBLIC image and again, made a terrible choice. I do not know him as well as some of you, but have been around him at Spaceland and boogies.. I think that the people on the jump are the ones that should talk about the dangers on that jump, which some did. I did see comments from some world known bigway organizers that I hold in the highest regard, saying they lost ALL respect for Simon for the danger he caused.. I used to jump with someone that (we believe falsely) got a tandem rating and put peoples lives and regular up jumpers lives in danger every weekend. INTENTIONALLY! Several intentional low to the ground attempted (some successful) canopy collisions. Crazy Crazy unsafe exits and flying with tandem students despite repeated warnings from the S&TA.. Finally enough jumpers reported him AND 2 wrote up the intentional canopy collisions on or near the ground and the USPA pulled his rating.. From what I hear he has been trying to get hired as of late so maybe he got a rating again? But anytime a DZ calls, his name is out there and he does not get hired... So, that guy did things every weekend. Simon did this once. I know it must have been bad based on people I know's comments. I just do not know if I think he deserves to be banned for life. I am torn here. Can jumpers list more times? I do agree that the unsportsmanlike conduct which led to his dangerous decision was the original problem and THAT is something that may be a part of him.. If so, then maybe that conduct could cause another dangerous decision.. Banned from jumping for life? I dunno.... No record jumps? Ok, no bigways? Ok Could he apologize, earn back trust, find a DZ to give him a chance and let him start back small again?? I think so. He was very highly respected before this. I have seen him in the tunnel and many videos of jumps and DAMN.. I think it is possible to make one conscious decision but not actually being in a sane state of mind that day, to know the chain reaction you set off, could end or ruin lives. You learn probably the biggest and most costly lesson of your life. I believe in second chances if you go about it the right way. The other jumper I mentioned, he deserves being banned for life!!! That is my input and I never comment in here. I rarely visit here but had so many ask me about Simon, I wanted to see what the community vibe was.... :( I personally would do one on one sit fly coaching with him. I do not think he had conscious intent to harm or kill anyone. I think it hit him very shortly after, how badly that could have gone. I have never gotten a vibe of him being a harmful evil person. I think his own personal HELL from this experience will be the worst he has to endure. When you realize how costly that stupid mistake was and you would give ANYTHING to undo it... Had he injured someone, he likely would have quit on his own, I think anyway... Please do not bash me. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it. I respect everyone else's here and some valid points were made. Thanks

This is sort of para related...

par·a·graph (pr-grf)
n.
1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.
2. A mark ( ¶ ) used to indicate where a new paragraph should begin or to serve as a reference mark.
3. A brief article, notice, or announcement, as in a newspaper
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Opendore

skydiving was such plastic sport to a lot of you... until now.
She said, he said.
STOP! Think. This is a real sport.
It's a game and a joke to many of you. Even those of you with thousands of jumps.

That saddens me a great deal.

I care about skydiving and the skydiving community with every ounce of my life. It's clear that many of you do not.

Yes... it's difficult, to see someone that you want to respect and learn from, do an absurd action.

But the event did occur.

Ask yourself:

Do I want to love skydiving?
or
Do I want skydiving to love me?

I have to admit that I've totally missed the point of your post. Can you make that a bit clearer?