flygirl1220

OH WINTER

So I live in the lovely state of Michigan where we are blessed with four full seasons including the cold and snow of winter.

So my mind is wondering what to do while the DZ's start closing for the season here.

Being a student still with only 15 jumps to my credit I am not sure if I would be able to go on a mid winter vacation to someplace warmer with jumping year round. I don't know if they will let me work on my student program.

Also there is not a wind tunnel in Michigan, I think the closest one is maybe NH or VA? I could be wrong on that one though. That is my other thought is to go to a wind tunnel camp as a vacation.

Not sure if there are any other options for the winter months for a student in Michigan. Or if I just have to work on packing, hanging out on DZ.com and watching youtube videos until spring when jumping starts back up here.

go to FL, CA, or AZ... board airplane... make jumps... B|

take your A license progression card, log, etc with you and stay current if you can

a lot of people change dropzones during student status... talk to the school at wherever you end up

tunnel is also nice in winter

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

You can go to other DZs, just be sure to take your A card that you're working on and your log book with you. Other DZs may want you to do a check dive with an more highly rated instructor, but once they're sure you know what you're doing, you should still be able to do some coach/supervised jumps if they offer those. Call in advance and talk to them about it.

Maybe go visit somewhere in Florida or Arizona. I'm pretty sure Deland and the one in Phoenix both have wind tunnels nearby, too. My home DZ in Colorado is open all winter too, but only 3 days a week for winter hours. Some days it gets pretty miserable, too. Last Friday was cold as hell, for example, but Saturday and Sunday were nice (Before the winds kicked up.) I plan on doing more hop and pops this winter, and spending more time in the tunnel.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I did my first jump in Novembe in Missouri...jumping in the cold sucks, but if you're on a budget (like I was in college), suck it up and make a few jumps in the winter..if your DZ goes year round..stay current, get a few jumps in each month, get ready for spring to hit and start jumpin like a madman...woman? I forgot

You should check with your instructors who are going South this winter. Maybe you could continue your progression up there with them. In Quebec, we have the same climate than Michigan and it is common to have beginners continuing their progression with their own instructors in Florida, mainly at ZephyrHills. The DZ operator is aware of that and seems to be very pleased. You can check with Quebec DZ. Some of the instructors are USPA rated.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I've not only got a case of winter (several inches of snow forecast for tonight) but also a wicked pneumonia...and I "expire" on 11/13 (my 30 days out of currency....bye, bye). Not exactly what I was envisioning as the end of my season...

Part of me wants to chase to warmer climates (after finding a whole lot of quarters in the couch cushions...), but part of me is thinking this winter of a.) getting over the stinkin' pneumonia b.) catching up on the busload of work growing as my doc keeps me stuck on this couch yet another week... c.) doing some yoga and strength training d.) cuddling up with the SIM and my student manual and good YouTube videos and reading here so that e.) I arrive at my home DZ next spring stronger and a more aware student, ready to finalize my "A" and go forward into a happy jumping season.... Thinking positively here...thinking positively here....especially about component a.) Sigh...

erdnarob

You should check with your instructors who are going South this winter. Maybe you could continue your progression up there with them. In Quebec, we have the same climate than Michigan and it is common to have beginners continuing their progression with their own instructors in Florida, mainly at ZephyrHills. The DZ operator is aware of that and seems to be very pleased. You can check with Quebec DZ. Some of the instructors are USPA rated.

I went to Zhills during the winter with just a few jumps, and went right to jumping. If you are not current you will need some refresher training.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

frogerina

I've not only got a case of winter (several inches of snow forecast for tonight) but also a wicked pneumonia...and I "expire" on 11/13 (my 30 days out of currency....bye, bye). Not exactly what I was envisioning as the end of my season...

I feel your pain. I've had trouble staying current myself because of work/health issues. I've been chasing that A for almost 2 years and I'm closer than ever. Never give up!!!