Chelseaflies

What's your personal wind limit?

I jumped the other day, the wind on ground had been a very stable 9 knots when we took off and by the time I opened, it has risen to 20 knots. I had a bit of trouble manoeuvring but managed to land exactly on target. After I landed, I decided that I was no where near comfy in 20 knots and I would avoid it till my skills are better.

It got me wondering: What's your personal wind limit?
"My time is limited, what I can do with that time is not" - Jeb Corliss

Depends on the dropzone.

One of my dropzones has a relatively narrow runway surrounded by 50 foot trees. If the wind isn't coming down the runway, I stand on vultures row when the wind is 15mph or above.

Another dropzone is wide open (i.e., no trees or structures). There, if the plane is flying I'll get on.

Know your limits, that's what is important. Sounds like you're doing that.
We are all engines of karma

Like somebody else said it depends on the DZ. Also on how steady the wind is and what kind of turbulence we are getting. One of the worst mistakes I ever did was jump in wind gusts that were up to 36mph when I had about 50 jumps. I didn't get hurt but I landed off going backwards and got to take home a whole lot of Eloy dust as a souvenir. Most the people on the plane didn't make it and one of the guys I was jumping with had over 14,000 skydives at the time. I think everybody stopped jumping after that. Where I jump now I would do 25+ without thinking about it to much. When it gets much more then that most people stop jumping and they call it for everybody anyway. Know your limits and don't try to push yourself. If everybody that has about the same number of jumps as you is not jumping you should really think about it. If the guys that always jump and would jump into a hurricane start taking themselves off loads it might be a good idea to follow them.

22 knots is my limit when doing tandems in the Southern California desert. Faster than 22 knots and the vertical gusts get nasty.
Another factor is the "spread" between the fastest and slowest gusts. When the spread gets more than 5 knots, you start getting canopies collapsing at low altitudes.
A third factor is comparing the wind speed with your canopy speed. Any time you are going backwards - during final approach - should be your last jump of the day.
Consider that all respectable schools stop dropping solo students when the Mantas start backing up.
Just ask any old paratrooper, and he will tell you that his worst landings were backwards rolls: "heels, ass. head" ... also known as "ringing the bell" ...
... that made more sense when helmets were made of steel ...
... am I dating myself? ...
... no, that would be mono-sexuality ...
... have I banged my head too many times? ...
Yes!

If it is windy and I wonder if I should jump or not, one thing I like to do is to get outside, away from the building, and stand in the wind. I will stand there for 5 minutes or so. While standing there feeling the wind, when it is strongest I think, "Would I want to be landing right now"? Very often the answer is No.

Also I watch others with many years of experience. When they start standing down, even if I think it is okay, I will follow their lead.

If you are jumping for fun you might ask yourself is it critical to have fun now, or can the fun wait until later. As you increase the risk of getting hurt today, you increase the risk of not having fun tomorrow, maybe for a long time, not being able to jump. Continued jumping is very high on my list so waiting for a better day is attractive.

All that said, I often drive 4 hours to the DZ to jump for 1 day and 4 hours back, that same day. A few months ago I got one jump in the morning and then it was windy all day. The wind started coming down a bit about the time I was thinking I need to head home. I carefully considered all factors and decided I would jump with some increased risk. I feel like it is important to step back and be honest with yourself. I am doing this for these reasons with these gains and these costs as possible outcomes. Most of the time I just say to myself, "If you want to keep jumping, be super careful".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

It depends.

Is the wind smooth and steady or gusty and shifty?

Is the landing area big and open or small and tight?

Is the space upwind of the landing area open and free of burble creating obstacles or are there trees, buildings and other stuff upwind? At some DZs, one direction is fine while others are not. At some DZs, the main landing area has obstacles upwind while the alternates do not, depending on wind direction.

Are other people landing easily or are their canopies bouncing and "breathing" on final?

Am I reasonably current or has it been a while since my last jump?

The more times I answer the first part of each question "Yes", the higher the wind I will jump in. The more that it's the second part, the lower the wind limit. And some of those aren't necessarily a "Yes" or "No" but a somewhat "sliding scale."

The idea of watching a few loads land and asking myself - "Do I want to be up in that?" is a very good one. It usually gives me my answer.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have about 300 jumps, load at about 1.1, and my home DZ has a HUGE landing area.

At home, if it is out of any direction but the East and steady, I am comfy up to about 20-22mph. If it is gusting at all I don't like to jump.

If the tandems are struggling/coming STRAIGHT down, I don't jump. If the TI's/Vidiots look at me and shake their head, I don't jump. If people I look up to and have a lot more experience than me aren't jumping, I wander over and ask why, and then don't jump.

I am a self proclaimed wind wuss though and I am 100% ok with that. I'm comfortable with higher uppers, but the ground winds are what I am really a stickler for. I'd rather miss out on an iffy day of jumping where I would 'most likely be fine' then have it cost me in the long run. But that is just me...

Reminds me of a conversation I once had. 3 of us, all I's/TI's were debating whether the winds were too high. The senior Instructor says "The fact that we are standing here debating it means the winds are too high!" And we stood down. Always consider the worst case scenario and your own comfort and skill level.

I'm a wind wuss, so usually if I have to think about it, then I won't jump in it. But, everybody seems to have hit on the main points-- depends on the dz, set up, canopy you're flying, etc.

I'm pretty conservative, but one of the things I always tell pilots when I give weather presentations for work is you'd rather be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than up in the air wishing you were on the ground. I always think the same for skydiving too. It's just not worth it. There is always another beautiful day to skydive in the future!

I had a pilot once tell me that if the windsock looks like it has a hard on, then somebody is going to get f$cked. Make sure it's not you.

Best advice ever :)

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

With the standard "it depends". But in general ~30mph is when I call it. the older I get, the more that creeps down a few mph... but in general 30 is the number.

Most of the people I jump with are in the mid 20's...so it's rare that I see 30 anymore.

I am inexperienced and jumped once in pretty gusty winds (they got worse coming down). Landing was concerning because final was pretty much straight down. I decided that day that at least for now I'll hang out on the ground and see what experienced people are doing.

Obviously the concern is injury. But I am curious (sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a newb), have you guys seen more injuries and problems in windy or no wind conditions?

I've only heard/seen two both of which were on beautiful days with light winds and both due to pilot mid judgements.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

jimjumper

Reminds me of a conversation I once had. 3 of us, all I's/TI's were debating whether the winds were too high. The senior Instructor says "The fact that we are standing here debating it means the winds are too high!" And we stood down. Always consider the worst case scenario and your own comfort and skill level.

...................................................................................

Similarly, one day the DZO and another TI and I watched an experienced solo jumper break his heal, landing on asphalt, a short distance down-wind of a row of hangars. We debated the winds for a few minutes. I eventually said: "I don't have medical insurance that covers broken bones."

Umm although I am not an old paratrooper, I am an old skydiver and regarding the backwards landings, I submit that when I learned in "61" I was advised to land backwards as opposed to forwards as forwards caused one to land feet, knees, elbows & chin, which I submit is worse than heels, ass, head.

Chelseaflies

Assuming smooth, stable conditions and no weird object turbulence to worry about, I used to jump up to about 30mph before I lost a bunch of weight.

Now I'll do about 20-23 until I downsize to get my wingloading back :ph34r:
cavete terrae.

grue

Assuming smooth, stable conditions and no weird object turbulence to worry about, I used to jump up to about 30mph before I lost a bunch of weight.

Now I'll do about 20-23 until I downsize to get my wingloading back :ph34r:

Myself in this region of 30mph. 1.5 wl on 150 fast-ish wing. If it pushes a little bit more than at takeoff, just a bit of front riser and I am fine. BUT, stay away from the back of buildings/trees. I would rather do a bit of an out landing and get clean air.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

What's your personal wind limit?

The key to your question is the word 'personal'. The correct answer to the question is a personal choice, and dependent on factors like the gear, the nature of the wind itself (smooth, turbulent, gusty) and the overall skill/experience of the jumper.

All you really need to know is that two people have to be confident in your abilities when considering the go/no-go decision on a windy day -

1. The first is you. Unless you get in the plane feeling 100% like you can handle the winds and land safely, do not get in the plane. Don't let anyone talk you into it, go with your first instinct and don't go up on the load. If the winds are marginal, there is a very real chance that your skills will be pushed to their limit, and if you're not confident it can effect your performance, and the last thing you need on a challenging wind day is for your performance to take a hit due to lack of confidence.

2. Any (or all) of the older, more experienced jumpers on the DZ. If one (or any, or all) seem to feel that it might not be a good idea for you to jump in certain conditions, then don't jump. Referring to #1 from above, you might feel fine about your skills, but you also have a limited scope of experience to draw from. If you've never been in tough wind conditions, you might not know what it takes to fly in them, and maybe that's why you feel like you'll be OK. The older, more experienced jumpers have flown I those winds, and know what it takes.

So unless you have a consensus of people on the DZ who support you jumping on a given day, don't jump. There will be days that you will get in the plane when the winds are higher, but still OK, and then they will kick up between the plane taking off and you landing your canopy (like you had), and that's how you can unwillingly build your experience such that you can make your own calls as far as go/no-go in the future.

The idea is to limit your exposure to those situations to 'accidentally' jumping in high winds, as opposed to willingly going up in those conditions. Until you have enough of those 'accidents' use the criteria I listed above to help you make the right choice.

It's an old saying, but I'll repeat it just in case you don't know - "I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was up in the air, then up in the air wishing I was on the ground". The idea is that if you make the wrong call, make it being too conservative, and standing down watching everyone else make a safe landing in 'ok' winds, as opposed to going up and finding out you're in over your head once you get under canopy because now you're forced to land in those terrible conditions.

I don't really use specific numbers, there seems to never be an accurate number anyway and there are tons of other factors. Sometimes I only jump if students are jumping. Other times I just use my gut feelings. There was a time I was willing to jump, but I saw someone with more experience than me debating, so I decided to stay grounded so I wouldn't influence them to go. I think confidence plays a huge part in canopy flight, if I really think I'll be okay, I'll jump, and maybe gain some experience in doing so.