SPAWNmaster

Most effective way to make 200-300 jumps in short time

I think this could fall under several categories so apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

I'd like to make 200-300 jumps over the winter in less than a one month period to focus on canopy skills and work towards a tandem rating. I'm wondering where and how is the most effective way to do that?

Do I go out to Lodi and pre-purchase bulk tickets?

Z hills?

Should I have two rigs and a packer?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Your profile says you've been in the sport a year.
You need to be "in sport" for three years to get the TI rating.
The reason for that is that it's not just about jumping; but about seasoning.
Hanging around the loft, learning from the experienced TI's around the bonfire, observing, etc.
There's no rush...
20 good quality jumps a month over the next year is going to put you in the same place for the rating course.

ETA: In that time, you may want to jump a variety of different sized canopies, learn how to really spot, take an advanced canopy course, watch all the tandem videos you can, etc.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You'd definitely need to be at a 7 day a week Dropzone with at least 2 rigs. Tell a packed your plans so they can try to make you priority to get you on the next load. Don't only do hop n pops because you need 6hours of freefall time. You also need 3 years in sport to get a tandem rating so someone with only a year in the sport can't go and make a bunch of jumps real quick and get the rating

ridebmxbikes

. Don't only do hop n pops because you need 6hours of freefall time.

I believe this is a requirement for an AFFI rating but not a tandem rating. You only need 3 hours of freefall for a D license and I can't find anything else on the proficiency card.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

none the less don't do only hop n pops because you will want freefall skills to help you fly that 200lb weight on your front that has no real idea about skydiving, especially on the exit, where tunnel may not help either...

mx19

none the less don't do only hop n pops because you will want freefall skills to help you fly that 200lb weight on your front that has no real idea about skydiving, especially on the exit, where tunnel may not help either...

There is no freefall time requirement for the TI rating. Yes you do need 3 years of sport parachuting experience. This guy makes a very valid point.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Two or three rigs, nice weather and a lot of money. One of the best things you could do is start doing video for tandems. It will give you a lot of experience jumping with tandems and give you a fair amount of jumps in a short time. I have 400 jumps in 9 1/2 months, be prepared to make skydiving a big part of your life if you want to do that many jumps in a short amount of time. Lodi will be your cheapest way out but the weather can be a little iffy this time a year in that part of Cali. Like somebody else said Eloy might be your best bet right now.

tfg30

Question from a newbie:
What sort of experience is required to be the camera guy/girl?
Thanks

There are rules set forth by USPA and some manufacturers. I was doing tandem videos with 250ish jumps and a coach rating.

I've seen people with far more jumps that I wouldn't let video me doing a tandem. It's not ALL about the jump numbers... If the TI says no, then you don't get to jump with them. Once they see if you are capable of doing it safely and word gets around, you'll have more TI's that will let you come with them.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

300 in 3 months or so is pretty aggressive. If that was my goal over the winter, I'd show up at Eloy with a pocket full of money, two rigs, make friends with a packer and get ready to have a good time.

Eloy gets something crazy like 330 jumpable days a year, will be flying, and have world class coaching available (consider it if you want to really work on you canopy skills....).

Any of the major FL DZ's might be an option too.

Do you have 5 years involved in the sport, or has it been 5 years since your first jump?

There's a difference, and it matters.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't know what is normal but I was at Zhills 2012-2013 starting Dec 26 for 16 days. I mangaged to jump 14 of those 16 days. Several of those days were less than full days because of weather. Weekdays 9:00 AM until about 5:00 PM, 8:00 AM until about 5:00 PM on weekend days during that time of the year......If that information might help you.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

wmw999

Do you have 5 years involved in the sport, or has it been 5 years since your first jump?

There's a difference, and it matters.

Wendy P.

It would be hard to argue there is a practical difference, but I was under the impression that it technically counted?
"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"

This concept has always baffled me.

Would you want your wife/husband/mom/dad/so/whatever taken on a tandem by someone who did a bunch of jumps quickly so they could hit the minimum number and get a rating?

Why would someone want to only meet a minimum standard while taking someone else's life and livelihood (not to mention someone else's loved one) in their hands?

It seems the more logical/intelligent approach would be: At which dropzone can I do a large number of jumps while focusing on my canopy skills and working towards attaining the necessary skills to safely take full responsibility for someone else's life?

But I guess it makes more sense to just crank out a bunch of low-quality, non-learning jumps and then put both someone else's life and the livelihood of someone's business, as well as the reputation of the industry at risk so one can make a few bucks hauling cargo.

BTW, the most effective way to make 2-300 jumps in a short time is to have a bunch of money and go to a dropzone that flies a bunch of loads. If one can't figure that out with "5 years in the sport", the likelihood of being a quality instructor is pretty low. Most individuals who have been in the sport for 5 years know that Eloy jumps approximately 355 days a year, more than most any other US DZ. In addition, said jumper would probably know how to google historical weather conditions, as that is the primary factor in making jumps (besides, of course, the dz being open).

You do not need to be at a 7 day a week dz, or have multiple rigs. All you need is money and time. "Short time" is relative..does this mean 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 days?

I don't see why time in the sport matters. What if you have been in the sport 10 years with 1000 hop and pops. Doe's that make them more ready then somebody with 2 years in and 500 RW, FF, AFF....jumps? I think free fall time should mean way more then years in the sport. I use to teach people how to shoot and I have seen newer guys that knew way more and could out shoot other guys that have been shooting for decades. I understand the point they are trying to make "more time in the sport the more you will see/ know..." but there are people that are at DZ's all day everyday soaking up knowledge and there are guys that come every few weeks doe's a jump or two and leaves. What about somebody that gets an A licence then doesn't jump for a while comes back years later does 500 jumps and their good. There are just too many loopholes in the time in sport thing. If they really don't want people to be TI's with less then three years in make the course harder so you have to be better to pass. I have worked at a DZ from the time I got off AFF, I am there everyday they are open. I have flown camera, wingsuits, working on my rigger ticket, pro rating, and AAFI and have over 400 jumps in 9 months. I'm not saying I know everything but I have met plenty of guys with "3 years in the sport" that I would trust myself over them any day. I have no desire to be a TI but I still think the prerequisites for it are way off base.

One will need to take their log books to the TI course for review and consideration.

Most TI/E's will review each book as part of the evaluation for determination if one is ready to be a TI candidate.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I don't see why time in the sport matters

Because you don't know what you don't know. It really is a simple as that. I wish the AFF rating had a time in sport requirement.

I use to teach people how to shoot and I have seen newer guys that knew way more and could out shoot other guys that have been shooting for decades

Maybe, but on average the guy that has been around 10 years knows more than the guy that has been around a year.

I'm not saying I know everything but I have met plenty of guys with "3 years in the sport" that I would trust myself over them any day.

It is not about what you think, it is about what the majority thinks.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334