-ftp-

Major reserve hesitation

You know I can't imagine why older container designs might out perform our modern, high tech, supper tight, slick as shit, tiny containers. But hay, we've got free fly colors now. And shiny, don't forget the shiny!

Look on the bright side of thongs will ya, at lease we made skydiving gear so safe, that now, skydiving is dangerous again.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

This is a good reason to always have a good spot. In case of cutaway, the main canopy will come back near or on the landing area. Too many people rely on the square canopy performances to exit at a spot they think good enough or estimated by the rule of the thumb.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Chances are on a high pull you aren't going to get a spot that would get your gear back to the dz if you chop at exit altitude.

Maybe on a cross country, but otherwise good luck getting a dzo/pilot that is going to spend the time on the tach to get you there!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

JerryBaumchen

Based upon my own personal experience & observations during drops tests, I am convinced that a 2-pin reserve container ( all other factors being equal ) will open faster than a 1-pin reserve container will.

What's that saying over the entrance to the brothel: You pays your money & you takes your chances.

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry, would that also apply to PEP's ? :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

stratostar

You know I can't imagine why older container designs might out perform our modern, high tech, supper tight, slick as shit, tiny containers. But hay, we've got free fly colors now. And shiny, don't forget the shiny!

Look on the bright side of thongs will ya, at lease we made skydiving gear so safe, that now, skydiving is dangerous again.

“We have created an environment in skydiving where the gear is so good that the people using it don’t have to be.” Dan Pointer

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

kuai43

Exited the plane around 14k, stable with about a 3 second delay and opened into a line over with a hard left turn.

Having recently had a cutaway in which I couldn't find my main and free bag for 3 weeks, I didn't want to chop it too high if I could safely ride it to a lower altitude and minimize the drift of the main and free bag.

Clearly the cost of a new main is high, but what's the cost of a replacement line vs. a reserve repack? @hook-knife.

I recall reading an article not too long ago where someone packed a line-over intentionally to see if he could clear it with a hook knife. even knowing ahead of time which line was over, he found himself unable to work it out and ended up cutting away.

too lazy to find it for you. sorry.
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about

Hi Lee,

two different two pin mirage designs

The original rig was the Rapid Transit System. If you were behind the wearer & doing a reserve pin check, you would see the cable coming over the left shoulder, then going down to the left side pin & then going horizontally over to the right side pin.

It was possible to route the pins in this configuration such that you could extract the reserve pins. I seem to recall an AD on that problem. IIRC they had obtained some ripcord cable that had a natural twist to it causing this phenomenon.

Now, if you were doing a reserve pin check on Silly, the cable would be coming over the right shoulder. ;)

Two relatively thin wide flaps that barely meet over the PC

Most of them that I have ever packed had quite a bit of spacing between the side flaps when they were over the pilot chute.

This is why I feel that they open faster, less mass to move and less distance to move it.

Just my thoughts,

JerryBaumchen

PS)

No big bulky heavy stiff flaps with ten layers of fabric, ballistic cloth, stiffeners, stripes, piping, etc.

No more calls, we have a winner.

Actually I was referring to the two verities of two pin vertical mirages. The first ones where the loops were in the top flap. They ran from the top down through the rig to the pins on the back pad. The pilot chute launch was not great. The later two pin vertical mirages had the pins on the out side like a more conventional rig. I would put the original rapid transit in a whole different category along with the wonderhog, warp 3, handbury, briefcase and all the others of the like.

I'm trying to recall but I remember the sides closing first on most of these rigs. I remember the pilot chute basicly being under the bottom flap and part of the top flap. Were there any rigs where the PC was under all four?

In comparison to the Modern rigs of today it was just so wide open with nothing stiff or heavy in the way.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

RiggerLee

In comparison to the Modern rigs of today it was just so wide open with nothing stiff or heavy in the way.

Lee

What time frame are we talking about here when you say "modern" and "old"?

Sorry, but I've been in the sport for 4-5 months, so to me a 15 years old design is "old", but probably others think in a different way.

Thanks!:$
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

Lee

What time frame are we talking about here when you say "modern" and "old"?

Sorry, but I've been in the sport for 4-5 months, so to me a 15 years old design is "old", but probably others think in a different way.

Thanks!:$

Some of those rigs Jerry and Lee are talking about are older then you are. :S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That's what I thought. So I did right to ask (I'm kinda old by the way!).

I'm about to buy a '99 Mirage G3 and I was wondering if that classify as "modern" or "vintage".
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

I'm about to buy a '99 Mirage G3 and I was wondering if that classify as "modern" or "vintage".

Mirage Systems is still making G3s. You have to read the advertisement carefully. Regardless of year, "like new" = "modern." "Well cared for" = "well used" = "vintage." ;)

Mark

:)

C

Looks like an ad for a skyhook IMO.

And we still have those that want to dick around with their explanations to justify their learning experience?

Seriously,

Really:

More armchair advocates making statements that riding a fatal main is ok? The ADHD fired, so that makes this ok????

Don't think >:(

PERFORME YOUR EP'S FOLKS.

Time is not on your side....

I bet the kid did the best he could under the circumstances,... there is nothing new here other than the amount of stupidity shown by more than a few comments advocating delaying your EP's. :)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

A mard would have helped in THIS circumstance but it is not a solution to fundamental errors in design. Keep in mind that this is the easiest possible condition from which to extract the reserve bag. Every thing was open and still the bag hesitated in the tray, or so it appears. What happens when he has to make a low exit with main tray and riser covers closed? No help from the mard there.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

dwhenline

seems to me that MARD will eventually become standard. First skyhook and now wings developing one. Certainly makes sense, although I hear arguements against them.
time will tell. I wish I had one.

IIRC...the original MARD came out well before the Skyhook.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

RiggerLee

A mard would have helped in THIS circumstance but it is not a solution to fundamental errors in design. Keep in mind that this is the easiest possible condition from which to extract the reserve bag. Every thing was open and still the bag hesitated in the tray, or so it appears. What happens when he has to make a low exit with main tray and riser covers closed? No help from the mard there.

Lee

Don't exit low....

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."