degeneration

Crown Prince Cheats Death over Dubai!!!

nigel99

It is a very funny perspective. I guess being a public figure turns a mundane story into something newsworthy, whether the person at the center of the story makes a big deal of it or not.

Truth be said, he is a well known and kick-ass skydiver. He's probably laughing at this article as much as we are, it's hard to believe that he never had a line-twist before, but some Royal Press Office, Public Relations or some Personal Marketing Guru in Dubai must have though that this was a perfect chance to present him as a heroic and fearless sultan or something like that, maybe trying to build a little cult of the personality, with the video, a cooked interview, and everything else... don't forget that certain articles are aimed at a) the general public, not the skydiving community b) the people of Dubai, not the western audience with more often than not gives a flying shit about the Dubai Royal Family.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Di0

It is a very funny perspective. I guess being a public figure turns a mundane story into something newsworthy, whether the person at the center of the story makes a big deal of it or not.

Truth be said, he is a well known and kick-ass skydiver. He's probably laughing at this article as much as we are, it's hard to believe that he never had a line-twist before, but some Royal Press Office, Public Relations or some Personal Marketing Guru in Dubai must have though that this was a perfect chance to present him as a heroic and fearless sultan or something like that, maybe trying to build a little cult of the personality, with the video, a cooked interview, and everything else... don't forget that certain articles are aimed at a) the general public, not the skydiving community b) the people of Dubai, not the western audience with more often than not gives a flying shit about the Dubai Royal Family.

I agree
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

BigMikeH77

Yes, when I saw what had been released my initial thought was "Brought to you by the Ministry of Propaganda".. lol

So colour the people of UAE lucky then, right? One of their rulers is a righteous skydiver. Maybe we need some of those here in the U.S. :S

yea I think if more of our officials were skydivers they'd all loosen up and we would have a less oppressive government

The Sheikh is lucky he didn't get his hand caught up in the excess brake line that should have been stowed by his packer...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

mx19

***The Sheikh is lucky he didn't get his hand caught up in the excess brake line that should have been stowed by himself...

Fify - not a packers responsibility.

Surely a packer is expected to ensure that as far as possible everything is 'right'? Yes its nice when the client stows brakes and tidies up.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

BigMikeH77

---AP 20. November 2013
DENVER

"A Denver man is lucky to be alive after plummeting nearly 13,000 under a malfunctioned parachute on Wednesday.

Michael Haring, an experienced skydiver with 40 jumps, was performing advanced maunevers in freefall such as front and back flips and barrell rolls - skills that are used in international competition. When he pulled the ripcord to deploy his main parachute, it failed to open leaving the outermost cells of the chute uninflated.

"As a skydiver, you don't have a lot of time to react in life-threatening situations like this. I could have cut the main parachute away and opened my reserve, but I quickly analyzed the situation and made the decision to stick with what I had and make it work."

What Michael did once he realized the parachute had totally malfunctioned was aggressively pull on the back "risers" in to inflate the chute properly and land safely. In a situation where most would have cut away, this skydivers intrepid mindset and courageous actions serve as a shining example of bravery in the face of death."

CAN I BE A PRINCE NOW???:D:D:D

LMAO, classic. And to think some people think the French are assholes. So what does that make me for not only finding this hilarious but very well written too :D

muff528

This summer I went swimming; this summer I might have drowned. But I held my breath and I kicked my feet and I moved my arms around.

Wow, I'm glad you survived holding your breath :ph34r:

Let's write a book about it, get a publisher and go on a national tour. We can out do that old Prince

nigel99

******The Sheikh is lucky he didn't get his hand caught up in the excess brake line that should have been stowed by himself...

Surely a packer is expected to ensure that as far as possible everything is 'right'? Yes its nice when the client stows brakes and tidies up.

Wrong. You lay it down the way you want it packed. Excess stowed? Stow it yourself. There are many places that you get extra and better service from a packer, but certainly not expected.

I have 1-2 packers that I trust with my setup. Still I'll hook the RDS back up, stow my excess brakes line and cock my pilot chute. Not that they can't or won't, but I make it easier on them and I know the critical portions are done by me.

>Article mentions he is semi-professional...so is that like a level above amateur or
>weekend weekend warrior?

Probably. There are a lot of people out there who don't make skydiving their full time job - but most or all of their jumps are paid (coaching, video, instruction etc.)

billvon

>Article mentions he is semi-professional...so is that like a level above amateur or
>weekend weekend warrior?

Probably. There are a lot of people out there who don't make skydiving their full time job - but most or all of their jumps are paid (coaching, video, instruction etc.)

So the crown prince, who spent tens of millions to make a runway over the water, and a tunnel in his back yard, has a coach rating so he can afford jumps????:P:):$:ph34r:

mx19

***The Sheikh is lucky he didn't get his hand caught up in the excess brake line that should have been stowed by himself...

Depends on the arrangement.

I always preferred to pack tandems and student gear (less so) when I was actively packing.

That being said I always packed a sport rig exactly the way I wanted to jump it, because I held myself to standards.

If it was someone that wanted to get pack jobs all day on quick turns I would give them two prices, the base pack job if they gave it back pack ready with brakes stowed, excess stowed, slider set, and not in a mess.

The next price was if I was doing everything.

And if they gave me a stepped through rig with lines tangled and an absolute mess more than once we had a talk about it.

IMHO your a douche and should go back to working at McD's to pay for your ramen if your the type of packer that would let a rig go with un-stowed brakes, broken rubber bands, or otherwise shit condition.

Take some pride in your work, communicate with your customers, price accordingly.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'm sorry..... Packers of the world, stow the fricken excess brake lines. It's part of the pack job! :)
McDonnalds requires you to put a pickle in each and every McBurger. Not just every other one. That work ethic will not even keep you employed at Wall Mart. [:/]

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

wildcard451

*********The Sheikh is lucky he didn't get his hand caught up in the excess brake line that should have been stowed by himself...

Wrong. You lay it down the way you want it packed. Excess stowed? Stow it yourself. There are many places that you get extra and better service from a packer, but certainly not expected.

I have 1-2 packers that I trust with my setup. Still I'll hook the RDS back up, stow my excess brakes line and cock my pilot chute. Not that they can't or won't, but I make it easier on them and I know the critical portions are done by me.

I strongly disagree. I pack most weekends to supplement my jump budget. It is the responsibility of a packer to ensure that they only close a rig in a safe and jumpable state - blaming the jumper is completely unacceptable. It IS acceptable to not take on a pack job or charge extra because it is a mess, rush or whatever.

I've helped students learn how to lay down their gear neatly, with brakes stowed, pilot chute cocked because the more prepared it is the more packers are likely to put their pack job at the front of the queue.

Packing mains is a big responsibility and should not be taken lightly, I know of an incident recently where someone was very nearly killed due to a packing error on a main - in fact the person has multiple broken bones and a very long road to recovery. Not every screwup is covered by 'don't worry they have a reserve'

nigel99

I strongly disagree. I pack most weekends to supplement my jump budget. It is the responsibility of a packer to ensure that they only close a rig in a safe and jumpable state - blaming the jumper is completely unacceptable. It IS acceptable to not take on a pack job or charge extra because it is a mess, rush or whatever.

I've helped students learn how to lay down their gear neatly, with brakes stowed, pilot chute cocked because the more prepared it is the more packers are likely to put their pack job at the front of the queue.

This is really the only acceptable ethic for a packer. If you are going to pack it, pack the whole thing. If it is not in acceptable condition then educate your jumper or refuse to pack it. I agree w/ Nigel 100%.

I certainly do appreciate jumpers who lay their equipment down neatly and have it prepared for packing. If my time is very limited I am likely to move them up in the queue.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

nigel99

************The Sheikh is lucky he didn't get his hand caught up in the excess brake line that should have been stowed by himself...

Packing mains is a big responsibility and should not be taken lightly, I know of an incident recently where someone was very nearly killed due to a packing error on a main - in fact the person has multiple broken bones and a very long road to recovery. Not every screwup is covered by 'don't worry they have a reserve'

I am not saying that you are wrong. I am just saying what you should expect when you toss your shit down on a packing mat at a boogie with packers you don't know. If you are going to trust complete strangers to pack for you at least take care of the critical components yourself.

Set your brakes, stow excess if you want it stowed
Uncollapse your slider
Cock your pilot chute

All the packers I know at my home DZ will certainly grab you if you hand them something unsafe to pack. They are a quality group, but don't tell them I said so. The packers I use for training / comps I would trust completely to hand a pile of shit and get it back perfectly. I however respect them too much to do that.

If you aren't going to pack that thing yourself give it to the packer knowing you've taken care of the stuff that can really hurt you if they forget it.