degeneration

Crown Prince Cheats Death over Dubai!!!

Didn't want to show disrespect by posting this in the Incidents forum, but the news article reads like it should have been...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510029/Crown-Prince-Dubai-cheats-death-skydiving-festival-manages-untangle-parachute-cords-3-000ft.html

Never seen line twists so over dramatically exaggerated!!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

Didn't want to show disrespect by posting this in the Incidents forum, but the news article reads like it should have been...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510029/Crown-Prince-Dubai-cheats-death-skydiving-festival-manages-untangle-parachute-cords-3-000ft.html

Oh brother.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

---AP 20. November 2013
DENVER

"A Denver man is lucky to be alive after plummeting nearly 13,000 under a malfunctioned parachute on Wednesday.

Michael Haring, an experienced skydiver with 40 jumps, was performing advanced maunevers in freefall such as front and back flips and barrell rolls - skills that are used in international competition. When he pulled the ripcord to deploy his main parachute, it failed to open leaving the outermost cells of the chute uninflated.

"As a skydiver, you don't have a lot of time to react in life-threatening situations like this. I could have cut the main parachute away and opened my reserve, but I quickly analyzed the situation and made the decision to stick with what I had and make it work."

What Michael did once he realized the parachute had totally malfunctioned was aggressively pull on the back "risers" in to inflate the chute properly and land safely. In a situation where most would have cut away, this skydivers intrepid mindset and courageous actions serve as a shining example of bravery in the face of death."

CAN I BE A PRINCE NOW???:D:D:D

mattjw916

someone needs to post a video reply in the comments section of them cracking open a beer at 3k under a canopy with line twists, chugging it, then kicking out... because that's about how much time you have... :P

I know your joking, but some of us don't even have time to take a shot from 3k when we open in (spinning) line twists. B|:ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

This made me laugh in a meeting when I read it earlier

If line twists or end cell closure are worthy of news we all got to start cashing in.

What do you think i can get for countering a spin caused by loosing a bootie before my eyes turned red and I passed out and died

I got an adrenaline rush just by watching at that crazy video. Wow, close call, indeed! Can't wait to see this on Freakout Friday. Actually, this deserves its whole section. Freakout Dubai.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

I know your joking, but some of us don't even have time to take a shot from 3k when we open in (spinning) line twists. B|:ph34r:

+1
Shaik Hamdan was quoted as saying: "In such situations taking a decision can save the jumper, whereas delaying for seconds can lead to ominous results. I could have simply taken the easy solution by using the alternative parachute. I looked at the problem from the perspective of a challenge that earns skills and additional experience, so I decided to confront the problem and deal with the challenge. I began immediately handling the problem manually and was able to solve the interwoven ropes and landed safely."

Since when has using a reserve been the easy way out?

degeneration

It is a very funny perspective. I guess being a public figure turns a mundane story into something newsworthy, whether the person at the center of the story makes a big deal of it or not.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Turboprop

+1
Shaik Hamdan was quoted as saying: "In such situations taking a decision can save the jumper, whereas delaying for seconds can lead to ominous results. I could have simply taken the easy solution by using the alternative parachute. I looked at the problem from the perspective of a challenge that earns skills and additional experience, so I decided to confront the problem and deal with the challenge. I began immediately handling the problem manually and was able to solve the interwoven ropes and landed safely."

Since when has using a reserve been the easy way out?

it is when you are in TROUBLE! :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda