degeneration

Crown Prince Cheats Death over Dubai!!!

DougH

******The Sheikh is lucky he didn't get his hand caught up in the excess brake line that should have been stowed by himself...

Fify - not a packers responsibility.

Depends on the arrangement.

I always preferred to pack tandems and student gear (less so) when I was actively packing.

That being said I always packed a sport rig exactly the way I wanted to jump it, because I held myself to standards.

If it was someone that wanted to get pack jobs all day on quick turns I would give them two prices, the base pack job if they gave it back pack ready with brakes stowed, excess stowed, slider set, and not in a mess.

The next price was if I was doing everything.

I see what you are saying here, and i agree, it depends on the agreement. As a full time jumper I have an agreement on tandems with packers here that they stow the brakes but I get the rest ready for jumping like uncollapse slider and release ring locks etc. On the other hand I never lay my camera rig down without everything ready to jump including excess stowed, rds attached etc. If i was to lay my gear down without the excess stowed i would fully expect to have it open without the excess stowed... Some people, silly as it may seem, have their own reasons for not stowing it. (note i do not agree with it at all)

DougH

IMHO your a douche and should go back to working at McD's to pay for your ramen if your the type of packer that would let a rig go with un-stowed brakes, broken rubber bands, or otherwise shit condition.

Take some pride in your work, communicate with your customers, price accordingly.

Just to clarify, I am not a packer, I was a packer at one stage and most people brought their rigs ready to pack. There were a few that never brought it with the excess stowed and when asked about it they didn't want the excess stowed... when i come across this situation i usually like to educate on how dangerous it is and ask again. If they were low time jumpers that didn't know better i would stow the excess or refuse to pack for them if the wouldn't let me.

IMHO you sir are out of line for assuming that i take no pride in my work and lazy for expecting a packer to do it for you. All i was saying is if you want your excess stowed, you have to do it yourself, you cannot rely on a packer to do it for you when they are rushed and racing to keep up with demand. How hard is it to do for yourself? I do over 1200 jumps a year and do it on every one. It takes a few seconds.

If you are going to trust complete strangers to pack for you at least take care of the critical components yourself.

Bingo!

If you assume that packers are going to take care of X, Y, and Z, and they don't, you have a real problem on your hands.

If you assume that they won't, and you do X, Y, and Z yourself, and it turns out that they would have done those things for you, your biggest problem is that you wasted 60 seconds doing shit you didn't need to.

davelepka

If you are going to trust complete strangers to pack for you at least take care of the critical components yourself.

Bingo!

If you assume that packers are going to take care of X, Y, and Z, and they don't, you have a real problem on your hands.

If you assume that they won't, and you do X, Y, and Z yourself, and it turns out that they would have done those things for you, your biggest problem is that you wasted 60 seconds doing shit you didn't need to.

Enablers!!

How about, we come back to put it in the bag for them as well. I’d hate to see them screw that up. We'd better stow the pilot chute also. I’d not want to throw out a knotted up PC. :P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Stow your brakes the second you land if nothing else just because not stowing them gives them a chance to twist up. It takes less than ten seconds - the toggles are already in your hands and the risers just happen to be right within arms reach.

Once you've done that, grab the slider from behind your neck, spend three seconds uncollapsing it, and then push it up towards the canopy while you gather up the lines.

With a bit of practice the whole procedure takes less than twenty seconds and very rarely is anyone too busy to spare the time. It's so simple and useful that it should be a B license requirement. It's good for your gear, and it's a nice gesture to the packer, god knows they rip their hands apart enough as is.

Back to the thread topic: Better to have a melodramatic Prince than a Crackhead Mayor, amiright Toronto?

mx19

***IMHO your a douche and should go back to working at McD's to pay for your ramen if your the type of packer that would let a rig go with un-stowed brakes, broken rubber bands, or otherwise shit condition.

Take some pride in your work, communicate with your customers, price accordingly.

Just to clarify, I am not a packer, I was a packer at one stage and most people brought their rigs ready to pack. There were a few that never brought it with the excess stowed and when asked about it they didn't want the excess stowed... when i come across this situation i usually like to educate on how dangerous it is and ask again. If they were low time jumpers that didn't know better i would stow the excess or refuse to pack for them if the wouldn't let me.

IMHO you sir are out of line for assuming that i take no pride in my work and lazy for expecting a packer to do it for you. All i was saying is if you want your excess stowed, you have to do it yourself, you cannot rely on a packer to do it for you when they are rushed and racing to keep up with demand. How hard is it to do for yourself? I do over 1200 jumps a year and do it on every one. It takes a few seconds.

Hey I owe you an apology, I wasn't addressing the bottom part of my quoted response to you, I was addressing it to all the packers that fall into the lazy subset. :$

Packing can be a great job, I really enjoyed doing it, and I took pride in it. There aren't a ton of packing positions, and while it isn't the most coveted position on the DZ, I think it should be filled with people that go above and beyond.

Looking back now I can see how you would think I was directing the criticism and harsh words at you. Sorry again. :o

I owe you a beer if we every cross paths. :ph34r:

Getting back to the actual conversation at hand, it doesn't take long the customer to stow those things, personally I only pack for myself.

That being said I check every part of a rig that I pack. Excess stowed in the field doesn't always make back in stowed. Should I leave one stowed and the other toggle not?

I check the toggle settings ever if they were set by the person I am packing for. If I catch one potential problem it was time well spent, good customer service, and good for safety.

Sliders uncollapsed in the landing area doesn't always get fully uncollapsed, I open them up!

All small expenditures of my time as a packer, and I am doing to the job the best that I can.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

dqpacker

Back to the thread topic: Better to have a melodramatic Prince than a Crackhead Mayor, amiright Toronto?

does the toronto mayor jail rape victims?

????

females in UAE have been put in prison for being raped. google it.

Oh, I had a dyslexic moment there - I thought you said that the prince was raping jail victims. I will google your version.

shveddy

Stow your brakes the second you land if nothing else just because not stowing them gives them a chance to twist up. It takes less than ten seconds - the toggles are already in your hands and the risers just happen to be right within arms reach.

Once you've done that, grab the slider from behind your neck, spend three seconds uncollapsing it, and then push it up towards the canopy while you gather up the lines.

With a bit of practice the whole procedure takes less than twenty seconds and very rarely is anyone too busy to spare the time. It's so simple and useful that it should be a B license requirement. It's good for your gear, and it's a nice gesture to the packer, god knows they rip their hands apart enough as is.

Probably not the best idea in the middle of a busy landing area.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm always looking to get out of the landing area as soon as possible to avoid being hit by swoopers. I don't want to be standing there like a sitting duck fiddling with my gear.

Turn and face the direction the traffic is coming in.

If I am watching the traffic I can always dive out of the way, and I am less likely to be dropped in on unexpectedly.

I don't necessarily think it is a great idea for someone to land and just sprint off the field either. In a certain sense a static target is easier to avoid then a few people moving dynamically through the landing area.
=P

^^Word.

Sometimes it gets pretty busy and congested out there. And after a great jump and nice landing, how awful would it be to get broken and/or break someone else because of a collision in the landing area?

I mean, I'm certain it's happened - too often - that's just my take on it.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm always looking to get out of the landing area as soon as possible to avoid being hit by swoopers. I don't want to be standing there like a sitting duck fiddling with my gear.

DougH

Turn and face the direction the traffic is coming in. If I am watching the traffic I can always dive out of the way, and I am less likely to be dropped in on unexpectedly.

I don't necessarily think it is a great idea for someone to land and just sprint off the field either. In a certain sense a static target is easier to avoid then a few people moving dynamically through the landing area.

Even if you're facing downwind, you're still being distracted from watching for incoming canopies by stowing your brakes and fiddling with your slider. And then there's the hook turn guys who, even though you're facing the landing direction, they will come downwind behind you and do a fast hook up above, coming into view only shortly before they become a danger. And that can occur in the few seconds you're looking down stowing your toggles. The guys doing long straight-in finals aren't a problem.

I like to land near the beer line and then just take a few steps into the safe zone to get clear of all the high-speed chaos. THEN fiddle with my gear.

I got hit by a swooper once, while standing in place and thinking he planned on just flying by me. Whack! Down on the ground. He didn't even apologize. He said it was my fault for standing where he wanted to land. Really. What an ass.

Boogers

And then there's the hook turn guys who, even though you're facing the landing direction, they will come downwind behind you and do a fast hook up above, coming into view only shortly before they become a danger. And that can occur in the few seconds you're looking down stowing your toggles. The guys doing long straight-in finals aren't a problem.

I like to land near the beer line and then just take a few steps into the safe zone to get clear of all the high-speed chaos. THEN fiddle with my gear.

I got hit by a swooper once, while standing in place and thinking he planned on just flying by me. Whack! Down on the ground. He didn't even apologize. He said it was my fault for standing where he wanted to land. Really. What an ass.

You might even have to chew gum and walk at the same time some day! ;) ;)

In all seriousness, you have way bigger and more dangerous problems at your drop zone if you are watching all the straight in traffic in your landing area, which is following the pattern, and swoopers regularly drop in down wind.

Fuck that! Sounds like a shit show.
=P

crotalus01

Every swooper I know will tell you to stand still when you hear or see them coming because its easier to avoid a static target than a moving one....

Funny, I was told that it's the folks on the ground who are supposed to get out of your way. But that was in reference to a straight in, regular pattern.. And before anyone freaks out let's assume that we all take reasonable precaution to NOT hit anyone who has already landed... So which one is it? If I'm getting my stuff together and hear a canopy coming in, and can't see the pilot until a second or two before impact, what should I do - duck and cover or jump?

BigMikeH77

***Every swooper I know will tell you to stand still when you hear or see them coming because its easier to avoid a static target than a moving one....

Funny, I was told that it's the folks on the ground who are supposed to get out of your way. But that was in reference to a straight in, regular pattern.. And before anyone freaks out let's assume that we all take reasonable precaution to NOT hit anyone who has already landed... So which one is it? If I'm getting my stuff together and hear a canopy coming in, and can't see the pilot until a second or two before impact, what should I do - duck and cover or jump?

If you are going to move, drop straight to the deck.

I dislike the idea of jumpers throwing big turns a truly swooping in a crowded pattern where this should really matter. Any talented canopy pilot should not be buzzing others on the ground during a full plane landing.

Keep your head on a swivel. Running side to side is VERY counterproductive and will probably put you in more danger.

Honestly, if you are 1-2 seconds from impact, you are probably going to get hit anyways. [:/]

Even if you're facing downwind, you're still being distracted from watching for incoming canopies by stowing your brakes and fiddling with your slider.

Really?... from pattern flyers?...well you do admit they're not really a problem later in your narrative below...

The guys doing long straight-in finals aren't a problem.

And then there's the hook turn guys who, even though you're facing the landing direction, they will come downwind behind you and do a fast hook up above, coming into view only shortly before they become a danger. And that can occur in the few seconds you're looking down stowing your toggles.

Doesn't your DZ have a separate landing area for swoopers since it sounds like you are not one of them?

...Hmmm... better be careful or you might get hit by one of the rest of the huge crowd who likes to "land by the beer line"...

...sorry, guess my warning was a little too late...

Look, I apologize for the tone, but unless your DZ does not in fact have separate landing areas (lanes) for swoopers and straight in approaches, you really ought to reconsider the appropriateness of your landing next to the beer line if that is the designated swooper zone.

And no, I am not a swooper...I do land out in the boonies, so I have adequate time and room to watch for incoming canopies, as well as stow toggles, slider, and gear... and yes, packers do appreciate courtesies that seem to have all but disappeared in this self centered world where instead of pondering how they might show some consideration to others, everyone justifies their own actions ...

...you know, like swoopers who hit people standing in their swoop lane, ...and non swoopers who want to land in the swoop lane... YMMV

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

Boogers

i call bullshit. no real info, just like your profile. where do you jump? did you talk to the dzo about it? guessing you didn't.

dqpacker

i call bullshit. no real info, just like your profile. where do you jump? did you talk to the dzo about it? guessing you didn't.

I know someone who was hit by a swooper - it resulted in a hospital visit. Different circumstances though.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.