GAjumper84

IAD graduate, suggestions on what to do?

Hey everyone! First off, gotta say thanks to everyone on here that posted encouragement and suggestions during my IAD questions. Also have to publicly say thanks to my home DZ Skydive Monroe in GA! My instructors were great, and the DZO runs a very safe, student friendly environment.
Now for my question:
So now I can self supervise, what in your experiences is the best way to go forward in the sport? Should I knock out my A criteria as fast as I can? Or did you take some time in between to knock out some fun jumps? Also, I am thinking that I should just stick to getting the fundamentals down to get a good solid base to my freefall and canopy skills until 50 jumps, then reevaluate to see if i feel comfortable adding something new one at a time (ie backfly, sitfly, longer tracks). Is that a good plan?
Thanks in advance, also if anyone wants to post any advice for a newbie I will definitely appreciate it.

In the USOA IAD progression, most of what you need to do to get signed off for your "A" entails jumping with a coach or instructor. Do a jump or two by yourself for fun and to build confidence, then get to working on your skills with a coach or instructor. Then keep jumping, with others as much as possible, and work on your belly skills for another 50 or so jumps before adding new stuff (sit, etc) And after your "A", start working on your canopy requirements for your "B".

My opinion FWIW
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Uhmmm? I believe it is possible to have fun (Fun Jumps) while doing the A Card stuff? Ask around... find a coach that knows how to do this. Plan the dives to have fun. Include the A Card progressions. Welcome to the sport!! :)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

GAjumper84

Hey everyone! First off, gotta say thanks to everyone on here that posted encouragement and suggestions during my IAD questions. Also have to publicly say thanks to my home DZ Skydive Monroe in GA! My instructors were great, and the DZO runs a very safe, student friendly environment.
Now for my question:
So now I can self supervise, what in your experiences is the best way to go forward in the sport? Should I knock out my A criteria as fast as I can? Or did you take some time in between to knock out some fun jumps? Also, I am thinking that I should just stick to getting the fundamentals down to get a good solid base to my freefall and canopy skills until 50 jumps, then reevaluate to see if i feel comfortable adding something new one at a time (ie backfly, sitfly, longer tracks). Is that a good plan?
Thanks in advance, also if anyone wants to post any advice for a newbie I will definitely appreciate it.

It was suggested to me that while I was cleared to jump and to practice on my own, doing so a lot without a coach might allow you to learn some bad habits.

A skydiver without a license is a very restricted jumper. Many new doors open with that "A" license.

I think about 3 out of 4 of my jumps in that time frame were coached jumps. Only after I was almost 100% complete with my progression card did I pick up more solo practice jumps, practicing for my "A" check dive.

You might also be able to work on some B license canopy requirements during this phase once you have all of your A license canopy work complete.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Thanks for the advice! Didn't think about the fact that I could start B requirements if I finish all the A checklist. I have two great instructors who said they will coach jump with me anytime. Maybe you are right about not picking up bad habits. Like I said, my initial goal is to devlop a really solid base on the fundamentals, so I think it would be very helpful to concentrate on coaching based on what you said.