scottf1887

So how old is too old for a used rig?

IJskonijn

I think maintenance history and careful previous owners are much more important than age. I would much rather jump my well-maintained and well-cared for '91 Vector 2 (which already has velcro-less risercovers) than a newer rig that's beaten to bits by someone who doesn't care.

So yeah, get a rigger to check the rig over, and listen to his/her advice.

This^

Age is a factor, but not the only one and not even the top one, IMO.

I have a Talon DOM 1996 that I'd jump without concern. But it's been kept in good shape and doesn't have a whole lot of jumps on it. It's my old rig that I'm keeping as a backup (bought a new one a couple years ago). It's "sort of" for sale, but I'm not aggressively marketing it.

A rig that old won't be worth a whole lot, even as a complete system, no matter how good of shape it's in.
But for a 1st rig, knowing that you are going to replace it in a year or so, that's not a problem.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I just bought an old rig from 88'. I am getting my rigger ticket and did not want to wear out my gear. This thing is 25 and everything on it is fine. It has been sitting in a closet for almost 12 years though. Its been looked at by a few riggers and all of them have said it could be jumped. So they don't really have an expiration date but that does not mean they shouldn't. A lot of countries and the military put life limits on gear so that has to mean something.

If you could get a car from 1988 for $300-400 or a brand new one for $1600 what would you get?

ChuckMartin

I just bought an old rig from 88'. I am getting my rigger ticket and did not want to wear out my gear. This thing is 25 and everything on it is fine. It has been sitting in a closet for almost 12 years though. Its been looked at by a few riggers and all of them have said it could be jumped. So they don't really have an expiration date but that does not mean they shouldn't. A lot of countries and the military put life limits on gear so that has to mean something.

If you could get a car from 1988 for $300-400 or a brand new one for $1600 what would you get?

Thank you for the hassle free transaction and good luck on your riggers ticket.

ChuckMartin

If they car from 88 ran perfectly and had no extra maintanence issues and was functionally the same as the new one, then the 88 one obviously. Cars are kind of a rough comparison ;)

mattjw916

I just hope it stayed away from the "juicy girls" in Songtan while it was there... :P

Well my mom ordered it all and had it assembled while she was deployed there...from what I know of her history I'd say I'm safe there :P
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

hjumper33

If they car from 88 ran perfectly and had no extra maintanence issues and was functionally the same as the new one, then the 88 one obviously. Cars are kind of a rough comparison ;)

I was making the point it might be worth a little more just because its new. There has been some advances in both rigs and cars in the last 25 years. Cars are more safe, get better gas millage, more comfortable ect.... Rigs are more safe, have stronger materials, more comfortable ect...

ChuckMartin

I was making the point it might be worth a little more just because its new. There has been some advances in both rigs and cars in the last 25 years. Cars are more safe, get better gas millage, more comfortable ect.... Rigs are more safe, have stronger materials, more comfortable ect...

Really?

I wasn't aware that the material have changed. The webbing the harnesses are made from is the same spec it's always been. Older harnesses may have lost a little strength, but not enough to matter (barring damage of some sort).

And there's a school of thought that new rigs are less safe, given the recent rash of reserve deployment issues.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

divertech

There is a 20 year shelf life on containers.

Not true. Some manufacturers say that, and some riggers refuse to pack anything over 20 years old. But there are plenty of 20+ year old rigs out there that can be legally jumped.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

***There is a 20 year shelf life on containers.

Not true. Some manufacturers say that, and some riggers refuse to pack anything over 20 years old. But there are plenty of 20+ year old rigs out there that can be legally jumped.

I don't mean to sound like I am completely nitpicking, but I am.

Shelf life is not the same as service life.

And as far as I know no civilian parachute manufacturer specifies shelf life - can someone please correct me if I am wrong ?

likestojump

******There is a 20 year shelf life on containers.

And as far as I know no civilian parachute manufacturer specifies shelf life - can someone please correct me if I am wrong ?

The Military is the only one I know of that differentiate between “shelf” and "service" life. Civilian manufactures use DOM as a reference point.

Sparky

MAINTENANCE NOTES

2 The following Maintenance Notes are to be observed:

2.1 The life of the assembly is 15 years from date of manufacture subject to a critical inspection at 10 years.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

*********There is a 20 year shelf life on containers.

The Military is the only one I know of that differentiate between “shelf” and "service" life. Civilian manufactures use DOM as a reference point.

Sparky

MAINTENANCE NOTES

2.1 The life of the assembly is 15 years from date of manufacture subject to a critical inspection at 10 years.

And that's from where?
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

mcordell

************There is a 20 year shelf life on containers.

Sparky

MAINTENANCE NOTES

And that's from where?

That's from a British GQ manual for a PEP. GQ does not manufacture civilian sport gear.

next !