rocketdog

will a jumpsuit help at this point?

I've been in the sport for some time now & the majority of my 300+ jumps have been freeflying. Since I was a poor college kid when I started, I never bought a jumpsuit. To this day, I still do not own one & jump in a long sleeve + capris. The past year I've had major issues keeping up anyone whilst freeflying. I'm only 5'1" and (since the beginning) flying a comfortable sit has never been an option, I've always been half standing.

It's getting extremely difficult though & I'm not to the point on my head where I'd feel safe going bigger than a 2way. At this point, would a slick jumpsuit even help me speed up? Or will it undo all the skills I've learned since now I'd be "flying the suit"? FYI early in the sport I borrowed a friend's jumpsuit & had a crappy dive due to the drag on the ankles/not used to a jumpsuit.

Any opinions/experiences? Thanks all!

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

Ha. I don't use a jumpsuit either. Get rid of the longsleeve and wear a normal t-shirt. That should help some but you may need to wear a couple pounds of lead weight. Anytime you change your clothing flying will feel funny which is why people where jumpsuits to begin with. It builds a consistency, much like you built with wearing the same clothes. Get a tight slick jumpsuit and if you need then add a couple pounds of weight.

LiquidSky makes the speed lunar which could help. Check it out:)
http://www.liquidskysports.com/sky/freefly-suits/speed-lunar

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

ridebmxbikes

It builds a consistency, much like you built with wearing the same clothes. Get a tight slick jumpsuit and if you need then add a couple pounds of weight.

+1.

Most all my jumps have been without a jumpsuit, however the consistency of the jumpsuit is nice. An added perk is that if you ever have a less than graceful landing you can avoid some rash by wearing a full jumpsuit.

I've noticed jumping in t-shirts rags them out pretty quick.

Okay I've heard the weight thing a few times. Ugh, just wanted to fly my body instead. No worries.

I was sort of leaning toward not getting a jumpsuit, but right now I wear a cotton long sleeve & thick, denim capris so I was wondering if the material made a difference. Heavier material than a jumpsuit I would get, but less area of material.

Thanks for the link. What's a great starting point for lead weight? I don't want to fly/land like a bat out of hell B| THANKS ALL!

It really depends who you are trying to keep up with bit the more weight you wear the higher your wingloading is going to be. Id start with 4-6 pounds and go from there adding about 2 pounds each time to get use to the canopy ride and so you don't become too fast for who you are flying with. Just start small like everything else.

rocketdog

Okay I've heard the weight thing a few times. Ugh, just wanted to fly my body instead. No worries.

I was sort of leaning toward not getting a jumpsuit, but right now I wear a cotton long sleeve & thick, denim capris so I was wondering if the material made a difference. Heavier material than a jumpsuit I would get, but less area of material.

Thanks for the link. What's a great starting point for lead weight? I don't want to fly/land like a bat out of hell B| THANKS ALL!

Just keep in mind that adding lead will not only increase your freefall speed but your wingloading as well. So you need to feel comfortable with that increase in wingloading. Start with 6lb and increase in small increments as required/capable.:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

I wouldn't wear weights while free flying. They help with belly, but you have so much range when freeflying it isn't necessary. And weight will make flying your body like that awkward.

Ideally you want skin tight fast materials like ripstop. This can be expensive with modern suits. If you don't want to spend the money, your current setup shouldn't be that much worse as long as it is skin tight. But the answer is yes, a proper suit really will make a noticeable difference.

zerospinskier

I wouldn't wear weights while free flying. They help with belly, but you have so much range when freeflying it isn't necessary. And weight will make flying your body like that awkward.
Ideally you want skin tight fast materials like ripstop. This can be expensive with modern suits. If you don't want to spend the money, your current setup shouldn't be that much worse as long as it is skin tight. But the answer is yes, a proper suit really will make a noticeable difference.

Ummm, Yeah, not true, some petit ladies need weight belts especially if flying in formations or more static.
Weight can help you to fly at a mid speed for the group your flying with. I know many small ladies and some very light guys who freefly with weight, depending on the group and type of FF jump.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks man! My outfit now is NOT skin tight, in fact its quite the opposite: baggy long sleeve and capris (so they catch some wind at the calf). But perhaps next season I'll try jumping clothes that are tighter/slicker and see how/if that helps!

less fabric = better flying.

look at competition-grade tunnel suits.
they are built to fly in most fast and controllable manner possible.
and they are tight like hell.

general skydiving usually not require that radical design - pockets are handy, you may need to wear some underwear etc., but the idea is the same. it is not the suit that flies, it is your body.

rocketdog

John, you're probably right but I've put ~300 sit jumps in them so I bet if I switched to tights I'd be awful haha.

Hmm, you might be surprised how suddenly everything became smoother and easier. I've been thru 4 decades of changing jumpsuit styles for just belly flying, and seen free fly suits evolve from their infancy. People sometimes underestimate how much all that excess flapping material screws with their flying. The problem is worse for little girls. :)

Okay I've heard the weight thing a few times. Ugh, just wanted to fly my body instead.

Oh how I love that comment.... If you want to "fly your body" then you should jump naked. <-- Only half kidding.

The fact is that jumpsuits help for more than style, they help for more than protection from rash. They also provide a uniform flying surface that you can get used to.

More drag equals you fighting the jumpsuit more. This can be good if you are a brick, but if you are a feather it can be very difficult.

To get fall rate figured out, you need a base. And then you need to try and match that base in your neutral position. So you would jump with a normal sized person in say a sit (or belly, or head down) and try to keep with them. If you float or fall then you need to make an adjustment.

You should adjust:
1. Your outfit
2. Lead

So if you are having to stand when most people are in a sit... then you need to drop some drag. If you are in a sit when most people are in a stand, you need to add drag.

If changing the outfit does not work and you are wearing the least amount of drag, then you need to look at wearing weight. Don't just start slapping on weight, try reducing drag first.

The goal is for you to be able to use you range to make adjustments on the fly..... So you need to have an equal base to start from.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334