rapter

My dropzone is going to close, Cal-City

Found this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tgYhEWftMk

... on YouTube.

It looks like one from Greg's "All Shelly, All The Time" video collection. :D

Fortunately, some of the rest of us got in the way of the camera lens too... ;)

I especially like the bit where Dean is wearing a rig, wearing a Shelly, wearing a rig in freefall. :)

Well… I’m home sick with the flu and have way too much time on my hands.

I found the enclosed photo on the web. Evidently it was taken on the camera of some student that was there to do a Static Line.

He had given his camera to someone on the plane to take photos of him getting out not knowing that skydivers would be happy to add a picture or two to the roll after he got out… and here’s the result.

Note some of us with more hair that is less “blond”. :D

Given some of the folks on the plane, I figure this was taken in the early-mid 90s

On the way home from jumping at Taft yesterday, I stopped by Cal City and shot some video of the ol' DZ there. Its pretty no-frills, but I cut it together to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGS7yTHSV5Q

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure Van & Alberta would be proud:D

Aside from some overgrown tumbleweed in the parking lot & a few holes in the fence, it's not really that bad. The lawn looks like it's being watered. I noticed all the Cactus plants in the entryway are missing. Did people take those?

Someone should tape some video of the old Air Adventures West dropzone in Taft. It’s way worse.

The video could have used some music for good depression factor. Any song suggestions?

Actually, I think the "silence" of the "Lost DZ, Cal City" video only broken occasionally by the feint sound of footsteps, birds chirping and the sound of the wind gets the exact affect desired.

I've thought of doing the same at what used to be Air Adventures West while coming or going from Taft, but that place looks to be more "private" of private property and I'd hate to get shot by the owner or confronted by the cops for being on the premises. :(

I've thought of doing the same at what used to be Air Adventures West while coming or going from Taft, but that place looks to be more "private" of private property and I'd hate to get shot by the owner or confronted by the cops for being on the premises.

I've driven down to AAWest, despite the NO TRESPASSING sign. Don't worry about it. The worst they ever did to me was give me a hard stare until I got in my car & left. Go for it!

It would also be cool to splice in some old photos & video with the new footage. Show some before & after transitions. That would trip people out!

Found a little horse ranch. What would I call it? VanLand, The Flying V Ranch, ? How about Skydive California City? Thats what it says on all the jumpsuits and gear. In fact I even have a couple of Tshirts...

VanLand? Hehehe. That's good!

Van & Emiko's Skydiving Palace and Ranch?

Van's Freefall Pleasure Palace (heheh, that sounds like a bad shaker bar)

I'm out of ideas. :(
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

* sigh *

Another Christmas without Skydive California City. :(

If the place were still open its highly likely I'd be there right now waiting to get on a load instead of sitting here unshowered in grubby sweat-pants and a thread-bare old Cal City Skydive tshirt. :S

Yep, they were good about being open on holidays so folks without family... or folks who choose not to associate with their family... had a place to hang out and jump on such days.