rapter

My dropzone is going to close, Cal-City

I Have jumped at Cal-City for over 20 years, and it's going to close it's doors at the end of the month. Van and Alberta sold the hangers and land to the City. I heard about it tonight, I'm shocked it's been a 30 min. drive for me, 15 min from work. I did my first jump there, night jump, big way, demo, even met my wife there. My Mom's ashes were released in the air there. So where am I gonna jump now?

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

I'd say you thank Van and Alberta for the years of blood, sweat and tears, not to mention the time and money, they've invested in that drop zone, wish them well in their future endeavors ... then pray there's another of those rare birds around to get the ball rolling on another successful drop zone in the area.
Zing Lurks

Yeah, Cary...me, Alethia, Brian and the rest are all pretty torn up about it, too. We definitely don't have the years there that you do...but it definitely feels like home (and family, too).

I'm glad Van & Alberta have kept the place going for so long, and hope they enjoy whatever they move onto. My only wish (not counting that the place would keep going) is that they'd given it a bit more notice so we could really get used to the idea, then send the place off with a bang. It's gonna be tough to let go.

Planning to make the best of the next 3 weekends. :(

Signatures are the new black.

This is really awful news.

Cal City has been my home dropzone for quite some time. It was the best facility anywhere in SoCal.

The vibe was always extremely welcoming and provided a laid back atmosphere to anyone who jumped there.

I don’t want to jump anywhere else and I’m really upset to find out about this!

I’m sure Van & Alberta have their reasons. I will make sure to visit before the end of the month.

Thanks for all the great memories guys!

I’m not a regular at Cal City, but have visited a few times. One of my favorite skydiving memories was a jump I made there many years ago. The space shuttle was scheduled to land at nearby Edwards, so all jump operations were on hold for a short while. Finally, it was decided it was too windy for a shuttle landing, so it was held in orbit and we were released to jump. We exited, opened, and then while under canopy heard a distinctive double boom. There in the distance was the shuttle, falling like a brick, on final approach to Edwards. Quite a sight. It turns out they reevaluated the winds and decided to bring it out of orbit at the last moment, but communication got mixed up and GA traffic wasn’t advised. I’ve made more than 4,700 jumps, and some really stand out. That was one of them. Thanks Cal City.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Congratulations to Van and Alberta. They worked so hard over most of my life time to create and keep that business open. Many DZOs have told me that they wanted to built their facilities to rival my dads. Holding tension on PC s in front of the terminal, Beech 18s, DC-3s, movie stunts, Otters, the old loft, daily military air shows, clear skies, Early birds and sunset jumps. I am grateful for the opportunity to have had an incredible place to hang out, drive the dz truck, pack parachutes, great skydiving mentors, met my lovely wife, and now I am paying the mortgage on my house with what I learned from my dad about flying skydivers. I would hope to build a business as nice and retire. Thanks to everyone who participated in these memories. Jr.

My very first boogie was at the Cal-City grand opening. It was a rainy awful weekend and I won the accuracy contest. None of the realy good jumpers would go up in the rain.
I have some really good memories of Van and his DZ. Good Luck to them.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Wow, I sitting here at work wearing a Cal City jacket, shock to read this!
I haven't been there in years, Always had the best times there! I havent jumped in awhile!
I got to be static line jumpmaster rating, and did ground control for a while (many years ago).
Gary Calhoun

I've heard that CalCity has been up for sale for quite some time, but it seems the ideal situation would have been to sell the DZ to someone that planned to keep it open and running.

I can't help but feel a sense of loss for what they are giving up.

Instead of passing the torch, they are selling a fine facility for scrap. What a shame.

...I am sure I know a few of you. My name is Dean-O. I have been in the sport for a very short time compared to you all. Cal City is where I did my first tandem with my wife and her family. I have been the only one to keep it going so far. I have met so many good people and feel a sense of brotherhood with all the guys and gals. #1 has to be Tony Kekahuna, the sky ninja, my trainer. Bob and Judy Celeya. What an awesome crew. I feel like I have just been dumped by some fine ass chick with no warning. I will at least be one of the very last people to get there license from this DZ. This weekend I will be doing my 25th jump on saturday. Like someone had said before, I wish we had a way to pass the torch, rather than turn it into anything other than what it has been. M y heart is bruised. We will just have to wait and see. Peace, Dean-O

Wow...that sucks! I only jumped at Cal City one time, but it seemed like a great DZ. I would like to welcome all Cal City jumpers to come to Taft. I think you will find the same small DZ atmosphere with a big plane :)__________________________________________________

"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But, the self is not something that one finds. It is something that one creates"- Thomas Szasz

You're right Cary, its a bummer to see "Van-Land" go in, but, everyone, like Junior said, we should be grateful for the good times we had there and respectful of the work Van & Alberta put into the place. IMO, they didn't just sell the place for scrap. I'm somewhat surprised to see it go so fast, but when you think about it... skydiving all over SoCal slowing down, fuel prices going up... what's the likelyhood of someone being able to come in and pick-up the operation lock-stock-and-barrel... I guess I had a wish in the back of my head that Junior and Emiko would come back and take the place over, but I guess that's not meant to be and it sounds like their doing well back east... add to that, although Alberta is much younger ;) (I swear the woman doesn't look a day older than when I first meet her 14ish years ago), but Van is what 64?... the hand-writting was on the wall.

I'll miss the place a lot. Its not every DZ, in fact I don't know of another, that you could pull up to at 1a.m. Friday Night / Sat morning, get into the hangar, unroll your sleeping bag on the stage (or in the Otter itself if it was a cold winter night and not otherwise in use:D) and crash until early-bird. Sure, it had its share of DZ Politics and Under-the-Windsock churn, but what place doesn't? I meet a lot of friends there. Friendships that I hope continue, but we'll be jumping at different DZs. Seen a lot of folks come through jumping there or working there, be around for awhile and then move on to bigger and better things. Meet a lot of different folks that I would have never encountered otherwise. Heck, I think its the last DZ around where you get to spot an Otter the "old fashioned" way... at least for a few more weeks.

I'll be currious to see what the city does with the place. I hope it doesn't turn into another Matrix Motors (aka "The Ruins"). :(

Trying to be upbeat... but I guess the "good ol days" of having an Otter DZ 40min from my door are about over. Guess I'll be spending more time on the road Saturdays and Sundays driving to Perris, Elsinore or Taft... or I'll have to finally "grow up", "settle down", "buy a house" and spend my weekends mowin' the lawn, trimin' rose bushes and yellin' at the neighborhood kids to "Git off my lawn!"
:o

Sorry to hear about that. I never jumped at Cal City but was there as a little kid while my dad was jumping there and it was an awesome place.

You are welcome to come jump in Taft.
We have a great group of people with a very friendly atmosphere like Cal City. We also jump an Otter so come meet new jumpers and have some fun with us.

At least you all were able to have such nice moments at Cal City to remember, talk about, and laugh at. Stay strong and keep jumping!

Hey everybody! It's me, "Blue skies, Black Kevin". Had I known this was coming I would've logged better! Cal City was the only dropzone for me. Guess you don't know what you've got til it's gone. Cal City is/was like home to me. I've been jumping there since the early 90's. I was talking to a friend last night and she reminded me how that place was open every day. That made sense cuz as a Navy jumper up at China Lake, I remember when we couldn't get range time all we had to do was check the weather, load up the trucks, and head down the road. It was about that time I met the Peckerheads... and soon became one.

(then I got a cool scar and fell into the fire pit but let's not get into that now...)

Thanks to everyone who helped make it such a special place. I guess that would be everyone.

Last weekend I arrived there at 3:30am. As I approached the hangar I wondered if I could get in to get a hot shower. The sight of that big Peckerhead sticker on the glass door made me feel warm. What was I thinking? Of course the door was open.

Jr. has been my pilot since I started in the sport. He allways told awesome stories about Cal-City. :)
I have allways wanted to head over to his dads place after to listening to all the stories he told!

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I have allways wanted to head over to his dads place after to listening to all the stories he told!

Well... you got about 3 weeks... you still could.
;)

He allways told awesome stories about Cal-City.

Yeah, ask him about the time his wife was explaining to the Cal City Police Dept how a bunch of drunk skydivers got a rental car "upside-down" on the landing area one Saturday night.
:D