rapter

My dropzone is going to close, Cal-City

If you don’t use it, you loose it.

Sadly, it speaks volumes when a dropzone like CalCity shuts down.

It is a real eye opener because this is the second time I’ve been orphaned due to a DZ shutting down. It makes me realize how thin the margin is in keeping a dropzone’s doors open.

Is the cost too high? Or is the sport dying?

If you don’t use it, you loose it.

Sadly, it speaks volumes when a dropzone like CalCity shuts down.

It is a real eye opener because this is the second time I’ve been orphaned due to a DZ shutting down. It makes me realize how thin the margin is in keeping a dropzone’s doors open.

Is the cost too high? Or is the sport dying?

Dude! Chill with the negative waves.

This situation is a lot different than the manner in which Air Adventures West went in and to be an orphan, you've had to have a family in the first place.

Maybe its just that Van & Alberta are getting on in years and an offer was made that they couldn't refuse. That is a down-side of building up a Skydiving operation with lots of great facilites, multiple aircraft, lots of on-site services, etc.; its not like there are many (if any) would-be DZOs that can come in and have the coin to buy such a place out. I'm sure it was a very good offer the city made and it wouldn't have been that way if they hadn't put so much hard work into the place to make it of value.

Skydiving Operatoins are weird in that the customers (Skydivers) somehow "feel" or "act like" or "spout off like" they've got a say in the business, how the place is run, what should and shouldn't be done with things... etc. etc., there's a GREAT cartoon along these lines in this month's issue of Skydiving Magazine (yeah, I've done it too)... if I could scan it in and post it here, I would... but when it comes down to it, its the DZOs place to do with as they decide. Again, in the end, I'll give Alberta a hug & I'll shake Van's hand, congradulate them on their hard work as it looks like its payed off well for them, wish them the best in their "retirement" (I still can't see either of them sitting around with their feet up for more than, oh, a day) and thank them and the many others too for running a turbine DZ 40min from my door for so many years.

I'm sure as the years go by, when I drive past the place, it will still be a reflex to look see if I can spot the Otter or 206 on jump run or in the pattern or canopies in the air. Occassionally too I take the bug-smasher out of Inyokern to LAX and it flies right past Cal City, down RT 14, before hanging a turn at Mojave... I'm sure if I'm sitting on the correct side of the airplane I'll look at the Cal City Airport, pick out what will soon be "used to be" the skydiving hangar, see what the landing areas look like (has something been built on them?) and muse over giving the pilot of the comuter plane I'm on corrections to the spot. :D

I've heard talk of some folks trying to pick-up and run a Cessna / Student Operation out at Cal City. I have to stress that, to the best of my knowlege, its probably not much past the "talk" phase, if that, but I'd be very glad to see that happen... anything to keep a toe-hold there for skydiving... it would seem to me that if skydiving totally leaves Cal City (or any place that has it going on) that its just that much harder to start up again by someone in the future. [:/]

Maybe its just that Van & Alberta are getting on in years and an offer was made that they couldn't refuse.

Maybe so.

In fact, definitely so. Talking to Van this weekend, I now know that's exactly what happened. For someone else to match the city's offer, well...it just isn't going to happen.

So yeah, like everyone I'll be damn sad to see the place go...but I'll be thankful to Van and Alberta for the memories, and glad they got something in return for maintaining such a great place to skydive all these years.

I've heard talk of some folks trying to pick-up and run a Cessna / Student Operation out at Cal City. I have to stress that, to the best of my knowlege, its probably not much past the "talk" phase, if that, but I'd be very glad to see that happen... anything to keep a toe-hold there for skydiving... it would seem to me that if skydiving totally leaves Cal City (or any place that has it going on) that its just that much harder to start up again by someone in the future. [:/]

I agree. Lots of rumors floating around...I'm not so sure it's going to happen, though. The closest thing I heard to that rumor this weekend was the suggestion that the regulars get together and rent a turbine plane to fly jumpers at Cal City once every month or so, just for old times' sake. A nice dream, if we skydivers weren't such a flaky bunch....

Still, I agree that it's going to be a lot harder for skydiving to ever take root there again, unless someone keeps something going. Kinda sad for the town, too...a lot of whuffos I've met from the area associate California City with skydiving. Heck, even the waitresses at Foxy's were bummed out about it this weekend. [:/]
Signatures are the new black.

closest thing I heard to that rumor this weekend was the suggestion that the regulars get together and rent a turbine plane to fly jumpers at Cal City once every month or so, just for old times' sake.

Yeah, well, unfortunately, that just ain't gonna happen. Seen it tried. As an exercise, call up Pat or Melonie or Dan BC at Perris... or Carl at Elsinore... or Larry at Eloy and... if you can get their time to talk... ask them what it would cost to ferry an Otter to Cal City for a weekend, run jump ops and then ferry home... OBTW, they're probably gonna be "funny like" and actually want some money up front AND still be paid if the winds start blowing at 0600 Sat morning and don't quit till Monday. But anyway... Then take that number and go amongst all your skydiver friends and try to pry $$ out of them to cover it... good luck with that... because...

...if we skydivers weren't such a flaky bunch....

:D

I've heard talk of some folks trying to pick-up and run a Cessna / Student Operation out at Cal City. I have to stress that, to the best of my knowlege, its probably not much past the "talk" phase, if that, but I'd be very glad to see that happen... anything to keep a toe-hold there for skydiving... it would seem to me that if skydiving totally leaves Cal City (or any place that has it going on) that its just that much harder to start up again by someone in the future.

Sorry if I sounded a bit melodramatic with the “orphan” terminology.

Isn’t there another skydive school at the airport that purchases jump tickets to fly students on the CalCity Otter?

Maybe they could take the ball & run with it. Of course that would mean that they would need a plane.

I’m open to the idea of getting a group together once a month if the cost isn’t too high, but there would have to be a serious commitment amongst the jumpers to keep something like that going.

Isn’t there another skydive school at the airport that purchases jump tickets to fly students on the CalCity Otter?

Maybe they could take the ball & run with it. Of course that would mean that they would need a plane.

Yes... there is another operation at Cal City that has been buying slots on Van's plane for their students for a few years now... but... No... they're not interested in starting back up and trying to be a full blown DZ again. They've got real "day jobs" now and are happier that way. Running a Drop Zone or being a professional jumpmaster, for most folks, is all about "lifestyle" and only about "hard work" for a few. Don't wanna hear that, okay, but face it, its a "trueism" in this sport and its usually just those few that are at the "hard work" are the ones that, in the end, can get out with a nice chucnk of change.

I’m open to the idea of getting a group together once a month if the cost isn’t too high...

Well there you have it Kipp... translation of the above... "Sure I'll kick in money for that!"... (and what they really mean is, "What ever I have left over after I break this $5 to buy a 6-pack of Blatz")... :D... an example of "flakey skydivers".
:P

I’m open to the idea of getting a group together once a month if the cost isn’t too high...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there you have it Kipp... translation of the above... "Sure I'll kick in money for that!"... (and what they really mean is, "What ever I have left over after I break this $5 to buy a 6-pack of Blatz")... ... an example of "flakey skydivers".

Ohh come on. I would have dropped at least a $20.

Well there you have it Kipp... translation of the above... "Sure I'll kick in money for that!"... (and what they really mean is, "What ever I have left over after I break this $5 to buy a 6-pack of Blatz")... :D... an example of "flakey skydivers".
:P

:D This is me, resting my case. :P
Signatures are the new black.

It may become a traveling band of Gypsies till people settle in to new dropzones and some may quit the sport, others will wonder the earth never finding a new home. First stop will be Taft on the 8th. and 9th. of Dec. for this band of refuges. Will the good people of Taft Please welcome them with open arms, except there strange cultural behaviors and don't mind there guns.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Hi Everyone!

I am putting together a photo album for Van and Alberta, I am asking for everyone that will be here this weekend to bring a 4x6 picture to add. I will have 4x6 cards for you right something to go along with the picture.

Also there will be pot luck dinner on Saturday night after jumping if you would like to contribute anything please give me a call.

Thank you very much for your support! Take care and best wishes.

XOXOX
<3 Antoinette Marie <3

Hi Everyone!

I am putting together a photo album for Van and Alberta, I am asking for everyone that will be here this weekend to bring a 4x6 picture to add. I will have 4x6 cards for you right something to go along with the picture.

Also there will be pot luck dinner on Saturday night after jumping if you would like to contribute anything please give me a call.

Thank you very much for your support! Take care and best wishes.

XOXOX

Antoinette Marie?? Was that your FIRST post on DZ.com?

CASE OF BEER!

... and we won't even have to write a note for you (anymore) to take to the liquor store saying its okay for the guy to sell you beer.