rapter

My dropzone is going to close, Cal-City

I Have jumped at Cal-City for over 20 years, and it's going to close it's doors at the end of the month. Van and Alberta sold the hangers and land to the City. I heard about it tonight, I'm shocked it's been a 30 min. drive for me, 15 min from work. I did my first jump there, night jump, big way, demo, even met my wife there. My Mom's ashes were released in the air there. So where am I gonna jump now?

I'am so sorry to hear of your loss. May the next DZ you call home give you another 20 years of fond memories.

Well... this has been around before, but here's a picture of N121PM before a bunch of skydivers got ahold of her... :D

Still had her de-ice boots, wing fence, strut pants, real door... etc.
;)

I prefer the "after" picture. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Well... this has been around before, but here's a picture of N121PM before a bunch of skydivers got ahold of her... :D

Still had her de-ice boots, wing fence, strut pants, real door... etc.
;)

I prefer the "after" picture. :)

Yeah... skydivers... they get a-hold of a grand lady and what's the first thing they start doing... pulling her "clothes" off... :D

... not that I'm saying that's a bad thing. ;)

Pilgrim Airlines??? :D

Yeah... makes you laugh to see a "puritain" airplane spend its later years as a jump plane with skydivers doing un-speakable acts inside her... don't it?

:D

Oooh Oooh See y'all on the 24th for unspeakable acts. :):D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

The one at Cal-City N121PM is older, S/N 14, first one sold to the commercial market.

Wow. Didn't know that. That was one of the two Twin Otters I did my AFF out of at Skydive City in 1998 when it was Freefall rather than Desert Express. I did my first four way out of that aircraft! Didn't realised it was historic. B|
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Man I'm sorry to hear that:( I'm from Texas, but my aunt lived in CA for years and became a pilot. She asked me if I had ever jumped at Cal City and said that she used to hang out near there with other pilots. Was there a flight school nearby as well?

I hope you find another great dropzone.

Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I stopped in last Sunday for the first time and did a 4-way with Philly, Tim, & Mike. Best jump ever, for me. That's no surprise, considering the caliber of the guys I was jumping with. Also, I got to spend some time with Patti and Antoinette.

You'll never meet a nicer bunch. I was really looking forward to going back to spend a few days.

I feel fortunate that I got to jump there.

Correction (I think??)...The oldest flying Otter (serial # 15) is in Fentress...

Hmmmm... I'll have to look before she goes away, but I think N121PM (Desert Express... aka: The Cal City Otter) is serial # 14... or at least the I.D. tag on the empenage says s/n 14... :D, if I'm correct.

Anyway, where did you see the Cal-City Otter advertised for lease?

Hmmmm....I'll be damned. Well that makes sense. The N # of our airplane is 122PM. Everybody here thought this was the oldest flying Otter.:$:$:$ I can't wait to pass on the news.:P:P

I saw the Cal City Otter advertised right here on DZ.com.

It is a damn shame. I really wish this wasn't happening. I wish there was something I could have done, like buy more jump tickets to keep the place going;)

Cal City was the only place that I ever really felt comfortable jumping in So Cal. I never had to deal with any politics from other jumpers. No skygods, no assholes and no bullshit. It was sort of un-real how cool that place was and how well they treated me. Kind of a safe haven for someone who didn't do so well socially at other dropzones.

They had the most professional staff anywhere that provided the best customer service of any dropzone I've ever visited.

I'm going to miss Robert the most. We are kind of like kindred spirits in a way. Both outsiders, that share the same cynical outlook:D

This is going to make him homeless, along with a few of the other staff, but I worry about him the most. I hope he can find work and a new home. He doesn’t have much but I believe he deserves to gain the most from this transition. His kindness and good humor will always be an asset in the real world that he’s about to re-enter.

I don't know where I'm going to jump now. I feel very sad about this and all the people I'm not going to see anymore.

I'm going to start getting teary eyed if I continue so I'll end by wishing everyone at CalCity a bright and happy future wherever life leads them:)
Thanks!

I'm going to miss Robert the most. We are kind of like kindred spirits in a way. Both outsiders, that share the same cynical outlook

This is going to make him homeless, along with a few of the other staff, but I worry about him the most. I hope he can find work and a new home. He doesn’t have much but I believe he deserves to gain the most from this transition. His kindness and good humor will always be an asset in the real world that he’s about to re-enter.

I am worried about Robert as well. :(

There has to be something we all can do to help.

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo