ndalencon

Anyone Have Landing Tips?

New to skydiving. Just wondering if any vets out there (or anyone with experience, really) had any tips/tricks/wisdom regarding how to start your approach so you land exactly where you want. I can stand up a landing, and I've never landed outside the dz, but I usually end up a little farther out than I want to. Thanks for your help!

- Nick

1) Practice.

2) Pick a spot on the ground in your field of vision and keep your head still. If it seems to be moving UP you're not going to make it. If it's moving DOWN you're going to overshoot.

The bit of the field that isn't moving up or down is where you're going to land if everything else stays the same.

Now - DON'T FIXATE on doing this. Landing a little long is far better than colliding with someone because you're not looking around. a couple of seconds is more than enough...

Place a sweatshirt somewhere well away from other traffic, do a bunch of hop n pops so you don't have other canopies in the air, then practice practice practice landing on it/near it.

You will find quite quickly this repetition and lack of traffic pressure will increase your eye, skill, and feel.

I did this on 2 occasions, 1 when new and learning early on, and 2 when experienced and wanting to practice accuracy.

HTH

dqpacker

ask someone not on the internet. maybe someone at your dz, like your instructors. :S:S

What he said.

Get some coaching, take a canopy class. Make every jump an accuracy jump. Do not allow yourself to become cargo.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

tkhayes

done

TK, thanks for putting on the free Accuracy Seminars. I was visiting Zhills last weekend and heard the announcement on the PA. Open to all jumpers for free. Can't beat a deal like that when on a weather hold.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

How many jumps do you have Nick?

Many can better tailor an answer for your current ability, or at least make more meaningful suggestions for your anticipated abilities. I speaking about watching a vid of your current abilities. Or someone watching you in person.

Also this is where a canopy class with video debriefing can be very helpful. Considering they can only (argue) keep you in sight during your pattern and then you get the immediate feedback and actually remember what you can and compare it to the video there is great learning in this as well. So the master has given you some great reading to study, (Gee, come to DZ.com and get HOMEWORK. :)
Practice as Edwardo points out may in fact be the really telling factor here! :)
There's nothing like being dedicated to the task as compared with approaching this subject from a hobby lackadaisical perspective and drive, as compared with the committed focused approach some of those fanatics show. :)
C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Conman

Take canopy control courses with http://flight-1.com/sport/ , great way to improve your canopy skills

And bring the pdf that TK made :)
Or how about AXIS? Or how about Greg? How about DSE?

How about--------------?

I'm sure you meant to include the many, many wonderful people that teach this kind of thing???

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

GLIDEANGLE

This is unconventional advice, but worth a read:

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Canopy_Control/The_D_Point_by_Brian_S._Germain_725.html

Remember.... collision avoidance is way more important than landing on the target!

Safe to say collision avoidance is the single most important factor here. Landing on target is waaaaaay down the line... preventing getting killed is paramount.
You are not the contents of your wallet.