Von_Nosheaux

Oddball / sketchy Question

Not entirely sure this is the correct spot to post this question, but I'll try.
Has anyone here successfully pawned a complete rig and then gone and gotten the rig back? Specifically, anywhere in southern California?
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, yes I am aware how suspicious this looks for someone with zero posts. However, the rig is mine, if anyone cares for proof I've got no problem providing it. I'm in a bit of a bind and need cash, and I really, really, really don't want to outright sell the rig. It's been perfectly suited for the jumping I do and I don't care to have to go find another complete system anytime soon.

Just curious if anyone has been in a similar situation. It kills me to have to ask, but my skydiving gear is the only bit of kit I own with any value. Thanks.

I've dealt with pawn shops before and they don't give you a quarter the value of anything unless its jewelry. That's assuming they even accept a parachute rig. there's not a very big market for it and who's yo say if they do find a buyer(because they have to assume that you won't come back for it) that they won't go kill themselves with it by jumping off a 3 story building. The only thing you can do is go over there with it and ask but don't have too much expectation when you go.

Von_Nosheaux

Not entirely sure this is the correct spot to post this question, but I'll try.
Has anyone here successfully pawned a complete rig and then gone and gotten the rig back? Specifically, anywhere in southern California?
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, yes I am aware how suspicious this looks for someone with zero posts. However, the rig is mine, if anyone cares for proof I've got no problem providing it. I'm in a bit of a bind and need cash, and I really, really, really don't want to outright sell the rig. It's been perfectly suited for the jumping I do and I don't care to have to go find another complete system anytime soon.

Just curious if anyone has been in a similar situation. It kills me to have to ask, but my skydiving gear is the only bit of kit I own with any value. Thanks.

If you PAWN it you are basically getting a loan based on the potential resale value of the rig. You'll get maybe 50% of resale value and a time to repay. If you sell it (if they will even take it) it will be worth little unless they know a DZ and rigger who can appraise it.

Remember that the contract with a pawn shop is for a fixed period of time where they CAN NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE sell the item. After that, the item gets listed and maybe sold.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

:o

There is nothing I look after more than my rig. Every time I use it I'm relying on it to quite literally save my life.

To put it in the hands of people who don't know anything about it, won't respect it, and will store it with god knows what else is batshit crazy in my book.
For all you know it could have been stored next to leaky batteries the next time you jump it.

Seriously. A MASSIVE no from me.

I understand you're struggling, and if it's that bad maybe it's time to sell the gear, get stuff in order and come back to skydiving later?

The sky isn't going anywhere.

Von_Nosheaux

I'm aware of the process, just curious if anyone had any experience trying it in the area. Looks like a local shop will take it, the owner's son is a jumper, go figure. Thanks for the replies.

If you are going to do it, consider providing a tote to store it in, take it to the shop and after everyone agrees, seal it in the tote in such a way that when you get it back, it is still sealed......if you get it back inside the agreed time limit. That might help you protect the rig from tampering and poor storage.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Buy a Pelican case for it, and LOCK the rig up after you pawn it. I used to work at a pawn shop, and the back storage are in all the shops in our town are hot, dirty, contaminated with oil from car parts, acid from leaky car and tv remote batteries, jewelry cleaning chemicals, etc.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

How much are you looking to get for a loan? Don't pawn it. You'll end up screwed. That's even if you can pawn it. If you're smart about it you can hand it to someone as collateral and let them hang onto it. If you were my friend, I'd probably hook you up with enough funds to get by. If you couldn't pay it back, then we'd talk selling it off.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

ive been broke as fuck a few time the past few years and have thought about selling my rig. It is all I have thats worth anything.
I would never sell the whole thing, if I had to i would probably start by selling the Main to get some cash. that way if I wanted to get back into jumping it would be pretty easy to replace with something, if I sold my saf2 for $1300 to get ahead im sure I could find another canopy for $300 that I could use until things got better.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)