FlyingRhenquest

200 Jumps Later

:| ok....200 jumps.

better Hurry UP and get as many Go-Pros as possible and connect them to allll sorts of locations...

as for wingsuiting...

Time in sport ?? Who cares

Properly assimilating ALL that is needed to safely practice the BASICs of skydiving ?? who cares

Dialing in the details of what is needed to become borderline proficient ?? who cares.

Consideration of all the guidelines , which many have worked hard to establish for reasons of common sense and Safety?? who cares
All that seems to matter... is, I hit 200 jumps...

200 jumps pretty much qualifies someone to be .." Only Just Beginning"...
It's a marathon. Not a sprint .
imho

jimmytavino

:| ok....200 jumps.

better Hurry UP and get as many Go-Pros as possible and connect them to allll sorts of locations...

as for wingsuiting...

Time in sport ?? Who cares

Properly assimilating ALL that is needed to safely practice the BASICs of skydiving ?? who cares

Well I didn't think that'd be safe, but fortunately every single skydiver is the same and you can judge them entirely on the number of jumps they have without having flown them, met them and probably without being able to remember any other post of theirs you've ever seen on internet forums. So I guess now I have to go off to the bank to take out a line of credit for all those go pro cameras! I'll be sure to post an 8-POV video on teh internets, ASAP!

Several of my instructors, coaches and people I've flown with over the past year and a half were similarly enthusiastic! If any of them had told me to slow it down, I'd have been happy to listen to them! They might not be terribly happy about all the cameras I'm going to have to hang off my ass now, but I'll tell them some guy on the internet told me to hurry up and do it!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

um yeah... we were all enthusiastic about how skilled Josh, Emily, and Brady had become out there in lovely Colorado right up until the moment they died

sometimes you don't even get a chance to hear someone tell you to slow down before it's too late, just sayin'
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

True enough everyone IS different.. :o Part of the FUn of our sport...
i'm only just suggesting...Go EAsy. The camera comment was Absolutely Tongue-in-Cheek...:)
But IF your instructors say charge ahead.....then have at it, and Good Luck

i have a strong feeling that you WILL be "keeping us posted "...B|

jmy
A 03914
D 12122
scr scs nscr

Jesus man,

195 - 200 ???

I get the req, but come on. He didn't volunteer the info, you had to question him.

At least this guy sounds like he did 195 honest freefall skydives; not what half the guys are doing nowadays: 200 hop-n-pops.

Coach quality? I'm no wingsuiter, but I imagine that he had priorities, and pulling was a higher priority than whatever else?

This guy has my approval...
William

williammonk

Jesus man,

195 - 200 ???

I get the req, but come on. He didn't volunteer the info, you had to question him.

At least this guy sounds like he did 195 honest freefall skydives; not what half the guys are doing nowadays: 200 hop-n-pops.

Coach quality? I'm no wingsuiter, but I imagine that he had priorities, and pulling was a higher priority than whatever else?

This guy has my approval...
William

Silly me, I thought half the guys were padding their logbook, not doing hop n' pops.
Good to know you feel it's OK to bust a BSR. Once we start re-interpreting the rules, it doesn't take long to spiral down to whatever interpretation someone wants to make. Might as well start letting AFF's jump in 18 mile an hour winds, I mean...it's only a 'little' more than allowed, right?
If he landed off due to line twists, that's a small indicator of poor instruction, albeit that linetwists are very rare when properly taught. Add in that an "instructor" took him before he had the required number of jumps, it's a reasonably solid indicator that it was poor instruction. Poor instruction leads to more poor wingsuiters creating problems for DZOs.

Every piece of literature I found on flying the wingsuit for the first time and every wingsuit guy led me to expect line twists on early wingsuit jumps. I also got the feeling from the wingsuit guys I talked to that uncontrollable flat turns are very common early on, and I had no problem with that.

And fact of the matter is I'm not actually sure how many skydives I've done, which is one of the reasons I mumbled about it. I had several pages go missing from my AFF book (Pages came out of their bindings and got lost) which I only noticed after changing logbooks. I also know for certain that I've forgotten to log several jumps since I got my digital altimeter. It's quite possible that the DZ's software thinks I'd done more than 200 jumps at the time, even though I only had officially logged 195 of them. I was half-way expecting them to tell me I'd have to do another jump or two before doing the wingsuit class, and was prepared to knock out a couple of hop and pops if they had.

It's supposed to hit 69 tomorrow. I was thinking of taking the day off from work and doing a few more wingsuit jumps out of the King Air, but it's going to be awfully (AWFULLY) hard to avoid doing good old fashioned 12K high pulls all day if it's really that warm. I thought I was done with those for the season, but we're on track for it to be REALLY nice.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

Every piece of literature I found on flying the wingsuit for the first time and every wingsuit guy led me to expect line twists on early wingsuit jumps. I also got the feeling from the wingsuit guys I talked to that uncontrollable flat turns are very common early on, and I had no problem with that.

Then they're idiots.
I'd really like to see a video of an FFC (in a proper suit) in a flat spin. I'd even pay $$ for it.
Linetwists are incredibly rare, when proper instruction is part of the process. If linetwists are common, then the teaching method is incorrect.
A proper instructor would have had you do an FFC without the suit, a jump without the suit, and evaluate you from there.

https://vimeo.com/30969226

Then again, we've only taught around 800 FFCs at our school, so your instructor might know more than we do.

DSE

Then they're idiots.

Linetwists are incredibly rare, when proper instruction is part of the process. If linetwists are common, then the teaching method is incorrect.

Hi DSE,

I certainly agree that if you are learning wingsuiting with jump numbers in the 200 ~ 300 range then you need to be super current. For a beginner its a bit like jumping out with a straight jacket on that can quickly turn into a nylon coffin if you get behind the game.

I only have 300 jumps and 10 Wingsuits which makes me a newbee for sure, but with all due respect is saying if some one is getting line twists then the instruction the got was incorrect ?

This stuff isn't like learning to fly an airplane with an instructor ready to grab the controlls if you screw up. You can spend all day talking about it, hopping out of a mock up, laying on a skate practicing tossing out your hacky and so on, but ultimately when you standing in the door and jump you are on your own.

Sure, doing it right depends on getting good instruction in first place, but it also depends on flawless execution of what you have learnt for the first time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

uncontrollable flat turns are very common early on

WTF??? - :S

Dude, you CLEARLY don't even have a clue, to what you don't even know - let alone "don't even know, what you don't know"!! B|

...and I had no problem with that.

Saying things like this tells me, that (again) you don't even have a clue (needed) to even BASICALLY assess the risks, you are stating here now you are willing to accept ("have no problem with") - and as such, even if you DID have the pre-requisite full 200 jumps (or even more) - notwithstanding ...YOU ARE NOT READY

Even actually attaining THE MINIMUM required 200 jumps, IF you had - in of itself is not (or never should be anyway, IMO) considered in of itself, as a(n) defacto: "AUTOMATIC QUALIFIER".

But you just keep on keeping-on, rebutting every little piece of advice and input being given to you, by those who do KNOW. - You dah man!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

There are ways to significantly reduce risk of linetwists during deployment while wearing a wingsuit. A knowledgeable WS instructor knows exactly how to minimize this problem, and in proper training, linetwists are ridiculously rare.

So yes... If you're getting linetwists on every jump, or even frequent linetwists, then yes...it suggests poor training.
Linetwists on deployment have contributed to fatalities in the past, so please don't be thinking linetwists are 'no big deal'. They are.

Scrumpot

uncontrollable flat turns are very common early on

WTF??? - :S

Dude, you CLEARLY don't even have a clue, to what you don't even know - let alone "don't even know, what you don't know"!! B|

...and I had no problem with that.

I had no problems maintaining control, I should have said.

I have learned a couple other things in the last couple hundred jumps that I refrained from sharing initially.

* You never actually want to talk about skydiving on dropzone.com. Next time I'm feeling happy about a skydive, I'll share it to a few friends on Google+.

* Just because you have 4000 jumps doesn't mean you crap daisies and unicorns. If you want to jump to conclusions about someone you've never met on the internet, that's fine with me. I'll give your opinion all the respect I feel it deserves.

DSE

* I did my first wingsuit jump at *mumble* jumps. Approximately 200-ish. For low values of 200-ish.

How many jumps did you actually have?

195 :P I didn't even get that much blood on my wingsuit! And most of it wasn't mine... :P

I was on track for 200 before the jump but I had a head cold/sinus infection for a couple weeks before the jump. Didn't even want to do a hop and pop with my ears clogged up like that. I figured with 3 hours of tunnel time now, 5 more jumps this way or that wouldn't make a difference, and I was right.

You weren't "right."
This is a BSR (Basic Safety Requirement). Your "instructor" violated the BSR, you had linetwists, and landed off the DZ. This also puts your instructor's standing with USPA at risk.
All three are indicators of the typical terrible instruction that are causing problems for wingsuiters around the globe.>:(

200 jumps is a threshold indicator for being able to put on a wingsuit. Just because you have reached 200 jumps doesn't mean you're ready for a wingsuit (or any other advanced discipline).

Disagree. Tear shit up and become the best pilot out there. Obviously you "were" ready to fly it... Don't let others give you to much advise. It's probably shit anyways... Fly then learn ..weeeeee

Bealio

I just hit 200 hundred recently, so I'll bite...

Out of the 12 of us who got free tandem skydives, I was the only one who pursued AFF.

Highlights:

-Received my "A" license at 28 jumps.
-I've only had someone pack my rig when i was a student and during my canopy course so i could go to debrief.
-Reserve ride with total malfunction at jump 47.
-Never had a home DZ.
-Took me 4 years.
-Fuck tunnels, fuck wingsuits, and fuck freeflyers.

I love your last comment...couldn't agree more B|