RichM

One armed skydiver? Looking for info

A friend of mine had an accident and permanently lost the use of his right arm although it is still attached. He's done a tandem and would love to take up skydiving. Has this been done before? Is there anyone with personal experience I could talk to? Thanks in advance
Rich M

You might try over in the "Skydivers with Disabilities" forum.

I know for certain that there have been amputees that jump.
I know there are paraplegics that jump.

I'm pretty sure it can be done.

The bad arm would have to be secured for freefall, and he'd have to learn how to fly that way.
A competent rigger should be able to come up with some sort of harness for the arm.
Tunnel time would be useful in learning to fly.

Which arm is it?
If it's the right arm, he'd need a rig modified for left hand pull (Not too big of a deal)
He'd also need a SOS reserve handle setup (again, not too big of a deal).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Pepperell has a few jumpers, I recall that have SOS rigs, for their physical conditions. I think the manifest is still open or taking calls, leave a message and they might be able to put you in touch with the individuals concerned. I'm not going to just give out their info here...

C

Good luck

I'm sure they would love to help!
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Thanks for the comments. I thought it must have been done, I'll follow up with the individuals and DZs mentioned, and post again in the skydivers with disabilities forum :) He has lost the use of his right, and as you say main and reserve would need to be deployable with one hand.
Rich M

skyjumpenfool

Kevin Burkhart is in the Red Jumpsuit, silver helmet.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQpsOvDof0M

enjoy. B|

to richm -

it was a fun jump and fantastic day - my wife is a suitbuilder and also modified his original freefly suit to also serve double duty to position and protect the one arm so he could suit up easy and not require additional slings not designed to be compatible with skydiving gear.

the guy is also a scuba instructor, swims a couple miles a day, last summer we played a round of golf (he won one hole closest to the pin contest) and so much more.

There's plenty of life after an accident like you friend had. Some of these examples I'd hope will help him deal better. you're a good friend for looking out for him

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

skyjumpenfool

Kevin was a very skilled and current skydiver when he lost use of his arm. Even then, this was a tough sport to conquer. My guess is, he'd be happy to talk with you. I'll send him a link to this thread. Good luck.
B|

Thanks, I look forward to talking to him and introducing him to my friend
Rich M