wykazox

Elsinore or Perris?

If we can't convince you to come see us in Florida or Texas www.skydivespaceland.com, then I'd recommend Perris of your two choices. I've spent quite a lot of time there, they have a very professional staff, great gear store, places to stay, pretty good restaurant, and wind tunnel.

If you do think about somewhere else, check out the "A in a week" program on our website, available at both our Texas and Florida campuses.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Elsinore has a very large staff of AFF instructors, loads going all day, every day (running a Caravan and Otter ATM).
Perris has a restaurant and a pool, Elsinore has a food wagon and a fountain.

Both have large landing areas for students. Elsinore has a more 'friendly' vibe, Perris is a bit more 'head-down, focus on the team skydive' vibe.

Both places are great, and you can't go wrong with either one, IMO.

You've got to go to Perris.

Many people on here will vote for Elsinore because they allow big turns (swooping), that's a big reason for your poll results. It's a bit of a confounding variable.

I had an excellent experience at the Perris school a couple of years ago. The instructors really know their stuff and are very friendly. If you happen to spend some time on the ground, the pool is awesome this time of year. The restaurant/bar is also a great place to hang out.

I cannot speak highly enough of the load organizers at Perris.

If you haven't heard of a Load Organizer -- They're staff members who will take you under their wing and teach you the skills you need to become a great skydiver. I think that every jump I did until jump 50 or so was with them and it really helped me out a lot.

It really helps to have people to jump with that are goal-oriented and that are all trying to improve. That is the environment that the load organizers foster at Perris.

If you're the kind of person that would just like to get out of the plane and do your own thing, though, I suppose any dropzone would work for you.

Perris is kind of a zoo though with so many tandems and students running around. It's a little too much stress/input for some people. I took a former Perris student over to Elsinore once and he had a much better experience as the pace of operations was a little more to his liking.

I did my own recurrency jump at Perris though since I thought I could knock it out there quicker... I still ended up sitting around a large chunk of the day waiting for people to get free. Just a busy day I guess, nice staff and a gigantic landing area where they come and fetch you in a truck even if you only land slightly off the grass. Be prepared to vacuum the moon-dust off your gear later though.

Anyway, I don't think you could go wrong either place. It just depends what kind of vibe you prefer when all is said and done IMO.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Perris has more rental equipment than Elsinore. You will be renting gear for awhile.

Perris has covered packing...Elinore has semi-covered packing next to a dirt runway. You'll be packing a parachute.

Perris has clean restrooms...Elsinore doesn't.

Many people on here will vote for Elsinore because they allow big turns (swooping), that's a big reason for your poll results. It's a bit of a confounding variable.

This is only true in a separated area, divided away from the student and main landing areas, so it's a bit of a stretch to say that "they allow big turns."
Generally speaking, those making big swoops are also on hop n' pops. That said, since the swoop pond was covered, big turns have pretty well gone away. The same can be said for Perris (or any other DZ that no longer offers a pond).

Elsinore has full-time Load Organizers as well.
Both DZ's are very good DZ's, and if one was to look for faults vs benefits, any DZ can be found wanting.

Well for what it's worth (i.e. nothing) I travel from Australia to jump at Elsinore.
I dont swoop either so it's definitely not for the HP landings.
And if you are the sort if person who would base their decision regarding skydiving on the cleanliness of the ablutions compared to another location, please dont go to Elsinore.
Knobheads like that annoy me.:ph34r::ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Both places have excellent schools with dedicated and friendly instructors. Both places can be a real zoo on the weekends if you're a student.

If you're going to be jumping on weekdays, I've found that Perris has a steadier flow because it's a larger and busier operation. I once jumped on a weekday 4 Way clinic at Elsinore where we had to quit after 4 jumps because there weren't enough people to get a plane in the air. But, Elsinore has since acquired a Caravan, so that may not be such an issue anymore.

Perris definitely has more facilities (restaurant, pool, etc). What it comes down to is the two places offer two different "flavors" of skydiving. Personally, I prefer Perris.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Squeak

Well for what it's worth (i.e. nothing) I travel from Australia to jump at Elsinore.
I dont swoop either so it's definitely not for the HP landings.
And if you are the sort if person who would base their decision regarding skydiving on the cleanliness of the ablutions compared to another location, please dont go to Elsinore.
Knobheads like that annoy me.:ph34r::ph34r:

I prefer Snore over Perris.. any time... good times at Elsinore. :)

diablopilot

If we can't convince you to come see us in Florida or Texas www.skydivespaceland.com, then I'd recommend Perris of your two choices. I've spent quite a lot of time there, they have a very professional staff, great gear store, places to stay, pretty good restaurant, and wind tunnel.

If you do think about somewhere else, check out the "A in a week" program on our website, available at both our Texas and Florida campuses.

This summer I have traveled to and jumped at six different dropzones. Spaceland was incredible, they own the huge airport, tons of people tried to help me out with getting in a jump (I was on a load with my cousin who was making her first tandem), and manifest even offered to change from the Otter to the Skyvan as I have never jumped from a tailgate.

There are tons of great dropzones around but next time I travel just for jumping Spaceland is at the top of my list.

GooniesKid

All else equal, i'd go to 'Snore. Why? Have you seen the line up of prospects there??? OMG every prospect on staff there is HAWT and my kind of lady!:$

Totally!

And I know from a reputable source that they ALL love being refered to as prospects! Makes them soooo wet!!!!!!

To the OP: See DSE's post. He sums it well, and pretty impartially considering he's a Snoridian.
Remster

I have done AFF jumps at both and I preferred the level of detail in the ground school at Perris. Additionally, the incorporation of tunnel time can really help. I can't disagree with anyone about the vibe at Elsinore, but if being a student is where your focus is (and should be), I would recommend Perris.

Perris has real restaurants, real pool, huge landing area, there are people who will come out to pick you up if you land farther than main landing area, collection of otters and sky van, and Tunnel on site if you struggle thru the aff level 4, and all the jumps are recorded on gopro for debrief.

Elsinore has food vendor thing with hotdogs, inflatable pool, used to be huge landing area, you better walk back if you land far out, two otter and one short caravan. and Tunnel near by at Perris if you struggle thru aff level 4, if your affi has any sense he or she will bring gopro and show it to you afterwards but not mandatory.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Elsinore has food vendor thing with hotdogs, inflatable pool, used to be huge landing area, you better walk back if you land far out,

Elsinore has a van onsite at all times (parked in the landing/packing area) and the packers/staff will drive to pick up anyone beyond the tetrahedron. I've picked up many a jumper. There is also a full-time driver for the van on Fri-Sun.

if you struggle thru aff level 4, if your affi has any sense he or she will bring gopro and show it to you afterwards but not mandatory.

AFAIK, everyone here uses a camera on AFF jumps. Some are mudflap mounted, some are helmet mounted, but everyone wears them.

Check out the poll results, Elsinore is ahead by a considerable margin, of course this could also mean that the Perris jumpers are at their favored drop zone instead of on the internet responding to polls.

Really though, who has to choose when they are so close? they are both great places to jump. Don't choose, just indulge. At one time I lived 15 minutes away from Perris and 20 minutes from Elsinore, I just went to where the action was.