cricket132

help for skydiver's widow...

Greetings all!
Let me tell you a little bit about myself--
Skydiving was always something I wanted to do at least once in my life-well I had a chance to do it twice...on the same day including my 1st and only night jump!
What an experience!! It has been 11years and I still love talking about it!
Fortunately I broke my leg on the night jump (yes, I meant fortunately!) The guy friend that I went with ended up having to take care of me for the rest of that weekend b/c my roommates were out of town and I couldn't do anything until monday when the orthopedic surgeon was open. Long story short, b/c of all this (he felt bad and blamed himself which is totally ridiculous!) he brought me to Vegas on a business trip 2 months later (since I was laid up with a cast and couldn't work for 3 months), we had such a great time hanging out, we started dating a few months later. Then, we ended up getting married 4 years later! Sadly, after 4 years of marriage I lost him to a freak heart attack that no one saw coming. Skydiving was such a huge part of his life--he had close to 500 jumps and had his certification to train students (something he loved to do was teach others his passion!) He was so adorable when he talked about skydiving because he would get SOOO excited and animated, he wanted everyone to try it at least once!! That's why I was reluctant to part with any of his equipment until I was ready. I know that he would want someone to get some joy from them though, so thats why I have decided to sell his rigs and jumpsuit.
Now for the help part of my post:
I have no idea where to start! The local dropzone shut down in 2004 and I don't have any contact info for any of the people that my late husband use to jump with. I just found this forum with the classified section so I plan on starting there, but I need to find out the value of his equipment. How can I do this? From my experience the skydiving community is filled with super nice people always willing to help.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Tell us where you live and we can point you to a local rigger or a nearby dropzone.

Tell us what you have, and we can give you an idea of what it would sell for used.

Most parachutes have 3 or 4 parts, the main parachute, the reserve, and the container, sometimes an AAD. The packing data card has information on everything except the main parachute. Is there any embroidery on the rigs? Tell us and we can help you find where the data card is hidden.

Send an email or call Chutingstar.com. Tell them what you said here.

They'll help you figure it out. They can inspect the gear, give you an honest estimate, and probably even help you sell it to someone appropriate.

Just to back this up - chutingstar are a well known and respected intermediary for second hand gear sales with 3 brick and mortar stores. You can trust them to help you out.

To everyone who responded with offers of help, Thank you so much! I will drag his rigs out of storage tomorrow to gather the information you suggested so I can find out the value.

To others:
I hesitate to respond to your postings for fear that perhaps I am misreading the somewhat malicious and snarky vibe that I feel when I read them. If I am wrong, then my deepest apologies. I'm kind of at a loss as to what exactly your implying or what issues you may be having with my posting, which makes it hard to defend or respond to your comments. If you want more details concerning my jumps and accident then here you go--
My 1st jump was on July 27th 2002 at Grand Lake St. Mary's DZ which was owned by Bob Tanagent (possibly mis-spelled Bob's last name) It was a tandem jump with John Farrell (wonderful guy BTW!) They were having a "boogie" that whole weekend due to the Grand Lake Festival that happens every year. We jumped out of a King Air at 15,000 feet. My 2nd jump was also a Tandem with John, again out of the King Air at 15,500 feet and took place at 9:45-10:00ish I remember before we went up the sun had already set and there were no traces of sunlight left, but after reaching altitude you could see a thin line of sunset again in one direction and a majestic thunderstorm way off in the distance the other direction....beautiful!
Because tandems have to pull at a higher altitude, we were blown further down wind than where everyone else landed. When we came in I didn't bring my legs up as high as I should have into the "chair sitting" position when we flared, resulting in me snapping the small bone in my leg and dislocating my ankle. (completely my own fault, and nothing to do with John)
After a visit to the coldwater ER complete with my future husband, Brett Nicoll Sr, John Farrell, Mindy and Jim (sorry I can't remember their last names, it was 1st and only time I met them) Jim did video tape both my 1st tandem in air, and the before/after shots of the second jump, including lots of ER footage! (thanks for the memories Jim!)
I guess that about sums that part up--

The dropzone closed not too long after that...maybe a year...I'm not really too sure. I do know that Bob had some financial problems due to legal issues I believe due to a few bad accidents that resulted in deaths. One accident was a plane crash that claimed the lives of 5 people...jumpers and pilot. The plane ran out of fuel during the altitude climb, 1 or 2 divers tried to jump but they just didn't have enough altitude for their chutes to deploy. Again, all of this was a year or so before I even met my husband. I just know from him talking about it...5 funerals in 2 states within 2 or 3 days. This is why I don't know exactly how many jumps he had, because after this horrible accident he went a whole year not logging his jumps...he felt it wasn't important. **Some of these details may be a little "off" because its been a long time since I had the story told to me.**

Brett never did jump again...he always talked about it and every spring he would say that was the year he was going to start jumping again...I don't know if its because the local DZ shut down and everyone was scattered to other DZ (zenia ohio and Richmond Indiana if I recall)
or just because his life situation changed during that time, we started dating and he gained custody of his 14year old...

I hope this helps clear up any questions or doubts you may have been having in regards to my original post, if you have any other questions, I would be glad to answer them.

One of the Basic Safety Requirements in the USPA Skydiver's Information Manual (section 2.1.e) - 9. All student jumps, including tandems, must be completed between official sunrise and sunset. [NW]
You don't have to outrun the bear.

One of the Basic Safety Requirements in the USPA Skydiver's Information Manual (section 2.1.e) - 9. All student jumps, including tandems, must be completed between official sunrise and sunset. [NW]

Doesn't mean night tandems don't happen.
They aren't supposed to, but...

To the OP - You are getting some snarky comments because your story has a few oddities in it. 2nd jump a night jump is very unusual.

I would suggest contacting one of the bigger gear retailers. Chutingstar is a very reputable operation. SquareOne is another.

Both places will be happy to sell your gear for you. They will take it on consignment. They will inspect, price, market and sell the stuff for a reasonable commisson.
You will be fully protected from the scammers and low-ballers that would try to rip you off.
Any buyers that have lingering doubts as to your story would be assured that the gear isn't on any of the "stolen stuff" lists that are out there, or any thoughts that you are concocting a long and sympathetic story to perpetrate a scam of some sort.

NOTE: I'm not accusing you of peddling stolen gear or being a scam artist. But this has happened in the past, and some people get a little jaded.

Send an e-mail or call one (or even both). They will help you figure out what you have, how to find data cards, labels and other info that is needed, and tell you exactly what the process and commissions would be. They're nice folks, and this is what they do.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There were a lot of names in there that bring up memories from early on in my skydiving history. Grand Lakes closed shortly after the plane crash and two jumpers landed in the lake in the middle of winter after attempting Canopy Formations and died.

If you can get some of the information of the parachute by looking for a piece of paper that is usually tucked into a pocket on it or you can take it to any of the dropzones that are still around come spring we can help you in person. The local area DZ's are Xenia Ohio, Middletown, Ohio, or Waynesville Ohio. Most of them open again in April so you could go by on a weekend and see someone there to help you directly to make sure you know what you have and what it is worth.

That being said depending on the exact items it might be worth a hundred dollars or up to a thousand or more.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

two jumpers landed in the lake in the middle of winter after attempting Canopy Formations and died.
---

Yes, I remember that story too...it was a student and his instructor. The student had a wetsuit on, the instructor did not. The jump was a clear day in January. The student was headed for a landing into the lake, the instructor followed b/c of the inexperience of the beginner... the student lived because he had the wetsuit on, the instructor unfortunately did not make it because of exposure.

Thanks for your honest and candid reply--I completely understand, I had considered the concern people would have in regards to a possible scam--did not think about the aspect of stolen gear.
I myself have been taken advantage of by people I trusted to deal fairly with me when selling some of my late husbands other personal items that were outside my realm of knowledge (motorcycles, firearms, and whatnot) hence the reason for seeking professional advise and guidance here.

I have a friend looking to buy used gear.

What was the height and weight of your husband?

Click on my profile. There you will find my email address, send me an email and we'll move our conversation there. Or send me a PM.

Sandy Grillet
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

He was 5' 7" and about 170lbs pant size 32 x 30
His jumpsuit is pretty small...he could not fasten it up in the last few years of his life...so he must have been closer to 150 and his 29"/30" pant size when he was skydiving full time.

Ok, thanks for the info. That will be too small for my friend.

Good luck.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

ok, so far I have identified:
1- javelin J3 container manf. may 1996 w/ cypres (past 10years old) Red and Gold in color

1- falcon 175 canopy manf. oct. 1996 pink, green, blue, black

1- harness/container Vector V5 manf. 3.25.1988 with
Reserve Raven III manf. Sept. 91 cypres (past 10 years old)
1- canopy falcon 195 manf nov. 1996
1- round military canopy manf. nov 1964
1- tony suit basic
approx. size 30"waist-30" in seam 5' 7" -5' 8"Height

None of these have been used since 2002. They were all repacked and stored away in our bedroom closet. Climate controlled the past 11 years, I don't know how much that matters?
Any thoughts? I know the cyprex are outdated so have no value--

Hi cricket,

I know the cyprex are outdated so have no value--

Even though they may be way outdated; if the cutters have not been fired then they have some value.

You could post them for sale and see who might want to buy them.

I sold an unused cutter to a dealer here, who then used it as a trade-in on a new CYPRES.

JerryBaumchen

Jamie is that you??

this is Mork (jim) your videographer... from you ill-fated Night Tandem.. a few of your post left a lot of these jumpers wondering what you were doing....a night jump for your second jump.. you left out that both of your jumps were TANDEM .. made with a certified tandem instructor.. and your second jump was infact a sun-set load that turned into a night jump.. I still have your ER room video by the way. I didn't read your whole story yet.but I want to go back and read that..but it appears Brett passed away??? when??? so very said.. please drop me an email directly at [email protected] and fill me in.. very sad to hear about this.