ChadF

Cutaway Handle Text Ideas

I simply have 'FUCK' on my cutaway handle and have a metal D-ring as my reserve.

I did think about getting 'DUDE' and 'SWEET' on the cutaway and reserve pillows, but realised the added bit of safety in having a metal D-ring reserve handle outweighed the coolness factor of two pillows with that embroided on them.

Metal handle for reserve ripcords allows you to put the tumb inside the D shape and gives you a more positive way to pull the ripcord at critical time. IMO a D shape handle stays flat on your chest and is not likely to be caught by mistake. But again fashion tends to be the rule instead of function. Even better, a ripcord using D handle and Spectra cable (1000 pounds proof, including a built in bungee) makes sure the ripcord will not float away from reach. Since there is a larkhead knot at both ends, that makes the inspection clear and easy to perform. One thing for sure you cannot perform in the field is the swaging resistance of both the pin and ball ending.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Cutaway: Reset button (can do some kind of iconic text or image if well known or one you like)

Reserve: Power button (circle with the line through the top - (I), or Hourglass symbol)

Or do simple block red Nintendo text on gray pillows, to make them look like this:
http://www.lifewithoutpants.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nintendoreset.jpg

ChadF

All great ideas..... As a programmer and a mac fan, I was torn between the if !(main) and the cmd+x / cmd+n

I settled on the mac shortcuts since they are simple 2 characters on each handle.

Have you had a cutaway yet? I have had 2 cuts, 4 reserve rides. My last rig had a soft reserve pillow, but my new one is coming with a good old fashioned handle. They are easier to grab and not hard to confuse. My first cutaway with the soft handle I remember physically looking for the yellow cables before chopping... just to be sure. Last thing you want to do is second guess yourself in that situation. [:/]