ChrisD

Third Class Medical in the News Again,...

normiss

I highly doubt the FAA does anything at the desires of any other group, much less the USPA.
I've never been checked by any USPA official anywhere.
Demo's, tandems, anything, anywhere.
The FAA has clear authoritative oversight at any airshow demo, hence the thorough ramp checks.
Every day at the briefing in the morning.
In full detail.
No USPA in sight.

Then please find me the FAR that requires a TI have a current medical.

The FAA is just using the USPA regulations since we are supposed to be 'self governing"

But like I asked, please show me where the FAR that requires a TI to have a current medical.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

normiss

Reading comprehension is important.

Yes, you claimed the FAA has asked for a TI's medical. I said the FAA only cares about the medical because the USPA does. You tried to tell me the FAA does not get pushed around...

But the fact is that the FAA does not in and of itself care about the medical. They only care because the USPA cares.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

mjosparky

You can fly any aircraft you want without a med. of any kind. Just don’t get caught.

Sparky

Yes, but you can legally fly a motor glider with a revoked medical.

Including flying over 10000', vfr on top, cruise speed over 120knots, and at gross weight up to #1698.

As far as I am aware, there are NO data indicating that possessing (or not possessing) a FAA 3rd class medical is correlated in any way with aviation related accidents.

The major beneficiaries of the FAA's medical requirements appear to be the AMEs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

As far as I am aware, there are NO data indicating that possessing (or not possessing) a FAA 3rd class medical is correlated in any way with aviation related accidents.

The major beneficiaries of the FAA's medical requirements appear to be the AMEs.

Correct, since the LSA category there has been ZERO accidents related to a medical issue.

Honestly, I wouldn't be very surprised if the medicals weren't just a way to keep the public off the FAA's ass when someone has an incident in flight.

"Well, he passed all of these tests 3 months ago, so he was deemed healthy enough to fly that 777"
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Ron

***As far as I am aware, there are NO data indicating that possessing (or not possessing) a FAA 3rd class medical is correlated in any way with aviation related accidents.

Correct, since the LSA category there has been ZERO accidents related to a medical issue.

You might want to take the time to point out that medical related incidents across all categories over a long period of time are low, comparatively. Not having a medical exam is in fact correlated with aviation incidents and has been since the 20s'. That's why we have it.
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

******As far as I am aware, there are NO data indicating that possessing (or not possessing) a FAA 3rd class medical is correlated in any way with aviation related accidents.

You might want to take the time to point out that medical related incidents across all categories over a long period of time are low, comparatively. Not having a medical exam is in fact correlated with aviation incidents and has been since the 20s'. That's why we have it.
C

Provide your data. The FACT is that not a SINGLE accident in LSA has been attributed to a medical issue.

Provide your data.

I'm sorry Ron, I was making an off the cuff remark about how the Medical requirement came about with the inception of the CAB in the first place. I wasn't referring so much to you as that as trying to point out the futility of some of the arguments with a governmental agency like the FAA. What I have noticed is that arguing with them is a very difficult endeavor and frequently the public perception is what rules the day. Of course I am not an expert here, these are some of my personal thoughts. I guess I'm still stuck with my and everyone's concerns when DUI, Currency, Medical and Tandem all come up in the same sentence. I was just venting. I do stand ready to assist anyone with letters, or lobbying if ever anyone wants to attend a public meeting or anything we can think of to better skydiving for everyone. If that makes any sense.
I wasn't referencing the LSA category. I was also poking a little fun at Kallend when he points out the AME might be in fact the only beneficiary. This upsets me cause of the frustration the sad reality of this whole issue. Millions spent on a requirement that when we actually try to measure it's effectiveness, it is the least important factor in Aviation safety, ironic hu? Sorry to vent my frustration upon you guys here....

C

And thanks for your patience and understanding.

The real problem with this site is many people here have many more posts than actual Skydives.I just love when the totally unrated Skydivers chime in on issues about rated instructores ;issues. I really do not know who you are but in another thread it has been stated you have only done one tandem and I noticed you never argued against it, May you should go become an actual. Skydiver before you post here.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

TheCaptain

The real problem with this site is many people here have many more posts than actual Skydives.I just love when the totally unrated Skydivers chime in on issues about rated instructores ;issues. I really do not know who you are but in another thread it has been stated you have only done one tandem and I noticed you never argued against it, May you should go become an actual. Skydiver before you post here.

Probably deserved that too,....

C

I started this whole thread because of this:

At a time when most pilots are debating whether the third class medical should even exist, the FAA seems to be doubling down on it. Rarely has the FAA and the airmen it regulates been further apart on an issue.

I just want to do what I could to raise awareness, if it is possible? So that skydiving can slide by the flack, so to speak.

And as far as defending my self about my jump numbers, I am not proud of my jump numbers as compared with the number of years I have been jumping. I have had large gaps and I'm personally embarrassed every time someone asks how many jumps I have and then expects some level of performance. Cgrips I spend more than half of my time getting current again and again. But for what it's worth I have more than one jump. I'm trying to be more sociable and not appearing as an expert. Please bear with me as I try to learn some new skills any help will be most appreciated.

Some may enjoy reading this, just tossin this out for your consideration: medical history 1942

The real problem with this site is many people here have many more posts than actual Skydives.

If someone is posting about a skydiving question, I do look at their jump numbers. If someone is posting about an F.A.R., I look at the intelligence of their argument. There is no correlation between number of jumps and being able to understand and discuss Federal regulations.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

kallend

Here is the attitude from one Avaition MD's perspective: DR. from Canada

C
It's just an interesting read,...

I just want to do what I could to raise awareness, if it is possible? So that skydiving can slide by the flack, so to speak.

Ok, I'll try this again: The FAA does not give a damn about TI's having a medical - THEY DONT CARE. Only the USPA cares. If the USPA dropped it, the FAA would not even notice. The only group making the TI/DUI correlation is the USPA.

And as far as defending my self about my jump numbers, I am not proud of my jump numbers as compared with the number of years I have been jumping. I have had large gaps and I'm personally embarrassed every time someone asks how many jumps I have and then expects some level of performance. Cgrips I spend more than half of my time getting current again and again. But for what it's worth I have more than one jump. I'm trying to be more sociable and not appearing as an expert. Please bear with me as I try to learn some new skills any help will be most appreciated.

Then let me throw this out:
1. Don't hide your experience. There is ZERO reason to hide your experience and it just looks like you are trying to sound like an expert.

2. Don't give your opinion as fact. Let's look at the thread recently. A guy asks about how to get current and you gave several comments that you tried to push as fact that were not grounded in the SIM and you were arguing with several AFFI's.

So instead of saying something like "At a minimum this person needs to start at Cat A, no exceptions and any other opinion is dangerous".... You could of said something like, "I am a jumper that has had to get current more often than I'd like to admit. I found that I did better when after a year off I started with a Cat A jump".

Statement 1 is full of fail. You are arguing with rated instructors (one that has worked the EXACT program the jumper in question was in) AGAINST what the SIM states. It is easy to prove you wrong, but instead of admitting it, you doubled down on the bad advice.

Statement 2 is an opinion and your background makes you pretty damn qualified to speak from the students perspective.

So, Statement 1 is acting like an Instructor when you had a 'B' license. Statement 2 was an opinion and based on personal experience.

See the difference?

I started this whole thread because of this:

Quote:
At a time when most pilots are debating whether the third class medical should even exist, the FAA seems to be doubling down on it. Rarely has the FAA and the airmen it regulates been further apart on an issue.

After watching you post in this an the other thread, you're on going rambling bullshit, it is quite clear you know little of the topic at hand and it would serve all of us who do grasp it and deal with the issue in our daily life's, if you could learn to shut the fuck up about topics you don't know shit about!

You then go on to prove this point by stating:

I'm trying to be more sociable and not appearing as an expert. Please bear with me as I try to learn some new skills any help will be most appreciated.

You have worn out any "Please bear with me as I try to learn", it's clear you are not in this thread to learn but rather to just stir the shit with bogus claims and so called facts backed with all of you're grand experience.

Many of those full of shit post of yours in fact are worded like you think you got some big handle on the facts, when in fact you don't.... other wise you wouldn't cloud the topic at hand with stupid ass Canadian doctors report that has no direct baring on this topic.

Do us all a favor and just shut the fuck up already and go away! Please.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

ChrisD

***As far as I am aware, there are NO data indicating that possessing (or not possessing) a FAA 3rd class medical is correlated in any way with aviation related accidents.

Here is the attitude from one Avaition MD's perspective: DR. from Canada

It's just an interesting read,...

Don't mean to be a ball buster but a Senior medical examiner is an FAA designation, for Americans. I am not clouding anything by introducing viewpoints from other countries.

And again it is just an interesting read...

RON: "Ok, I'll try this again: The FAA does not give a damn about TI's having a medical - THEY DONT CARE. Only the USPA cares. If the USPA dropped it, the FAA would not even notice. The only group making the TI/DUI correlation is the USPA."

I get your point, I got it the first time :)
Now what can we do about it? Give me something to do, I want to write a letter, or call someone at the USPA,...(Perhaps you could write the letter, I don't think anyone here wants me writing anything?)

C

Stratostar: Your going to have to take this on faith alone, sorry but saying this in our current pooilitical climate is just the wrong thing to say:

"Hijacking jet aircraft and making the FBI look like retards!"

Do you have a clue as to how what your saying is perceived by the public? And in the context of a skydiving medical discussion???

ChrisD

... Give me something to do, I want to write a letter, or call someone at the USPA,...

If you are a USPA member, you could start with your Regional Director. What you need to know to contact them is in your Parachutist magazine. Otherwise, www.uspa.org. Please note headquarters vacation schedule if you contact them.