chuteless

Skydiving is like many other sports

overstuffed containers

This is the only real 'problem' with 'modern' rigs, and even then it's just a 'possible' problem in some cases.

In any respect, an overstuffed container is not the fault of the container, it's the fault of the owner or rigger who chose/packed those canopies.

The tapered pack trays and protective flaps make the gear work better. The designs are tested and proven to work with canopies falling into the 'normal' range in terms of fitment. Let's face it, if a container failed to work in an 'average' scenario more than once or twice, it would be quickly singled out, and black listed by the community. Nobody wants to jump a rig with a bad track record.

When a rig is operated outside of the 'average' conditions, like when the largest canopies you can manage to stuff in there are used, then you can't blame the design of the rig. Are you surprised when you snap an axle after putting 2500lbs of gravel into the back of your 1/2-ton pick up truck? That's not the trucks fault.

Try putting 1000lbs of gravel in there, and watch that truck perform flawlessly, and for more miles using less gas then a 1/2 ton truck from 20 years ago. Ditto with the rigs. Use them as designed, and they will work more reliably and for longer than gear from 30 years ago, guaranteed.

airtwardo

Remember the old 'solid saddle' days...split saddle is so much more comfortable - just don't forget the bungee cord which makes it a solid saddle (kinda) again, or you may fall out of the harness.

Yeah the harness...now with all kinds of articulated rings & bling. Sure it's comfy on the ride up, but in a lot of case the container is no longer tight against the jumpers back while falling - we can 'fix' that with another belly band. Gee, just like the Piglet container I jumped in the 70's...;)

This exactly. Like I said, I've used a belly band for freeflying an like it a lot. :)

JohnMitchell

Remember the old 'solid saddle' days...split saddle is so much more comfortable - just don't forget the bungee cord which makes it a solid saddle (kinda) again, or you may fall out of the harness.

Yeah the harness...now with all kinds of articulated rings & bling. Sure it's comfy on the ride up, but in a lot of case the container is no longer tight against the jumpers back while falling - we can 'fix' that with another belly band. Gee, just like the Piglet container I jumped in the 70's...;)

This exactly. Like I said, I've used a belly band for freeflying an like it a lot. :)
What ever happened to adjustable laterals like on student gear, that was designed to allow you to cinch the rig up against any size person? Nowadays, you fly up behind people to dock on a formation, and you get distracted by the way their rigs are flopping left and right on their back. That's because they all have fixed length laterals, many of which are too long, and there is empty space between their back and the rig, allowing it to flop around like a dead fish. That can't be good for smooth flying, with a dead fish flopping around on your back... Adjustable laterals my not be "cool", but they'll keep your rig under control, and then it won't be fighting against you in freefall while trying to dock on a 20-way.

Boogers

What ever happened to adjustable laterals like on student gear, that was designed to allow you to cinch the rig up against any size person?

Costs money, adds 2 buckles. [:/]

Last rig I had with those was a Racer, damn comfy.

Putting a belly band on is easy as pie, no sewing the rig required. Just thread it thru the hip rings.

Part of the problem is that hip rings allow the container to move around far more.
The only thing that will keep the hip rings in a fixed position (e.g. covering the iliac crest) is some form of belly-band. It is easy to slip an after-market belly-band onto hip rings.

grue

IN MY DAY WE STARTED CARS WITH CRANKS AND DIDN'T WORRY ABOUT DEAD BATTERIES

................................................................................

Cranks?
Cranks?
Cranks are for sissies!
Real men push-start their vehicles.
Did I ever tell you about the Korean War surplus Jeep that I learned to drive on????
Dumb soldiers push-started it, but the second day I learned how to park on hills.

"... and quick ejectors on both leg straps. ..."

......................................................................................

Military-specification Quick-ejector snaps have too many tiny springs and silly little moving parts that break after a thousand or so jumps. Then they don't snap shut properly, so you either have to tap them closed or risk them snagging on something and opening at the most embarrassing time.
I have lost count of how many QE Snaps I have replaced on tandem student harness side straps.
And I cringe ever time I look at a pilot emergency parachute with QE Snaps, because I know that half of them have so many broken internal parts that will not close automatically.
When I worked for Butler, he insisted that warbird customers sign extra waivers if they wanted QE Snaps.

And, yes I have made over 4,000 jumps, during which my tandem students wore QE Snaps on their side straps.

I have not walked straight since the last time I flew in King
Air without seat-belts. GRRRRR!

The really sad part about that in the fact that it happened in the 2000's (if I remember correctly). Goes to show, no matter how hard we try to get the message out, some people are hell bent on cutting corners to save a buck and it shows they clearly think very highly of the staff and clients who will be in need.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

chuteless

Skydivers posted a photo of a new rig apparently with another belly band, and a remark about " those new funny capewells". It appears that every few years, skydiving equipment manufacturers feel the need to come out with some new fangled gadgets, with the expectation that everyone will just have to have the latest piece of junk, and they will make more money. They had good rigs back in the 1960s and 1970s, and some screwball decided it would be best to take the quick ejectors off and they could step through the leg straps. What a stupid idea, and yet almost every rig you see now has this abomination. They go from bad to very bad, and make lots of money. Its time to make some more changes, and lots more money by convincing skydivers they need something new, modernized, advanced, revolutionary, and costly. If I had a rig made for myself in Jan 2014, it would have 1 1/2 shots, 1 belly band , and quick ejectors on both leg straps. The RIPCORD would be where it should be, just below the front of the shoulder, NOT tucked in my ass. I wouldnt throw pilot chute out, I would pull the ripcord and let the pilot chute do its stuff like it did for years. People would have to learn how to spot again. Wouldnt that be great?
All the rig has to do is keep the chute folded sufficiently to get a good opening when I get to altitude, and then as long as my harness stays on, I'll get a satisfactory landing. You sure do have some nice looking rigs now, but beauty doesnt help a bit when you need your reserve. Functionality should be first consideration, not how much the manufacturers can make by selling some new gadget to skydivers who always find the money to get " the latest".

Yeah! Damn kids and their "rock music."
Apex BASE