aidanjames1

What do you's prefer for your rig?

Personally, I have a hackey but all types of handle have pro and con.

Especially for people jumping in cold countries during the Winter or any time, beware of the combination of your handle and gloves, it can be deadly. I have investigated a case where the jumper died while using a borrowed rig equiped with a very tin and flat freefly handle with gloves. He was used to jump with his gloves, used to jump with hackey like the two precedent jumps he made just before the fatal one, but maybe he wasn't used with the combination he had on his third jump that day. Unfortunately for him, in a hurry, he had forgotten to turn on his AAD.

OTOH I recommend that the handle whatever the type, to be of a bright color different from the rig, it is for the people close to you in an aircraft door when doing a tight exit. A bright different color handle catches the attention of other jumpers nearby therefore it's easier for them to avoid and not entangle with it . I am still badly surprised to see quite often handle color matching the color of the rig.

When there are works on a highway, don't they use the bright orange color ? There should be a reason for it.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

I recommend that the handle whatever the type, to be of a bright color different from the rig, it is for the people close to you in an aircraft door when doing a tight exit. A bright different color handle catches the attention of other jumpers nearby therefore it's easier for them to avoid and not entangle with it .

But... that's not cool! Nothing is more cool than a black webbing with a black handle against a black jumpsuit. Yeah, baby!

[But... that's not cool! Nothing is more cool than a black webbing with a black handle against a black jumpsuit. Yeah, baby! ]

Black webbing with a black handle against a black jumpsuit DURING A VERY DARK NIGHT JUMP TEASING THE BLACK DEATH ;)

erdnarob

[But... that's not cool! Nothing is more cool than a black webbing with a black handle against a black jumpsuit. Yeah, baby! ]

Black webbing with a black handle against a black jumpsuit DURING A VERY DARK NIGHT JUMP TEASING THE BLACK DEATH ;)

And a black helmet with a black visor tint. Darth Vader baby!

erdnarob

OTOH I recommend that the handle whatever the type, to be of a bright color different from the rig, it is for the people close to you in an aircraft door when doing a tight exit. A bright different color handle catches the attention of other jumpers nearby therefore it's easier for them to avoid and not entangle with it . I am still badly surprised to see quite often handle color matching the color of the rig.

When there are works on a highway, don't they use the bright orange color ? There should be a reason for it.

Weren't the first plastic PVC handles all orange? I think it was a standard color for few decades.

Nice read from Bill Booth here!:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1932397#1932397

B|

skydiverek

***OTOH I recommend that the handle whatever the type, to be of a bright color different from the rig, it is for the people close to you in an aircraft door when doing a tight exit. A bright different color handle catches the attention of other jumpers nearby therefore it's easier for them to avoid and not entangle with it . I am still badly surprised to see quite often handle color matching the color of the rig.

Weren't the first plastic PVC handles all orange? I think it was a standard color for few decades.

Nice read from Bill Booth here!:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1932397#1932397

B|

Standard? I had a white PVC handle in '79, FWIW.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Orange PVC tube handle, sure, my 1978 Wonderhog and futher RWS rigs were equiped with them. But because of Murphy's law, there was a small possibility for that kind of handle/tube, being hollow, to catch something. I have seen people putting a cork on both sides of that tube. This is again a typical problem of fashion versus function. On an airplane, some push buttons, switches, levers or handles have a bright color and even better, they have a shape related to their function like the lever for flaps have the shape of a flap and the lever to get the landing gear up or down has the shape of a wheel. This can be very convenient at night when your electrical power is down.
Back to our problem, when I am in the door for a tight exit, as long as I can, I protect my hackey using my hand and sometime, I ask the people behind me to keep an eye.

Boogers

***[But... that's not cool! Nothing is more cool than a black webbing with a black handle against a black jumpsuit. Yeah, baby! ]

And a black helmet with a black visor tint. Darth Vader baby!

Darth was a piker. Hotblack Desiato did it first and did it better...

"It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me,'' said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, "Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?''
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess