blueraincap

After obtaining A License (APF)

That's my understanding. However, I believe if you haven't jumped in a few months you may be asked to do a refresher jump with a coach to make sure you're safe to fly with others. Past your A license, the next step is to start on your B-rels so you can do relative work in freefall.

Whereabouts are you doing your course?

Thanks. I am going to do it in the South Coast NSW.
The whole reason i am getting is similar to getting a scuba license which allows to me try different things during my travelling. I wanna skydive in different locations but almost all info on the web is about getting the license, as if the centres don't cater to experienced divers/license holders.
Can I visit all dive centres in OZ and dive at a low cost? Do I have to join and pay the club fee at each dropzone that I skydive? The only info I find is as vague as follows:

At the completion of this course you can skydive solo almost anywhere in the world with an international A License.

It's my understanding that once you have A you can jump solo or with people who have their instructor/coach rating at most DZs globally. Just make sure you have your log book in order and with you.

I found it better to just go straight onto B rels though, solos get boring quickly.

i was under the same impression, but how does it actually work? because each centre is independent and I don't see much reason financially for them to let you dive for $30-$40, unless they charge you some membership fee (which is a waste on our end because we are just travelling).

i was under the same impression, but how does it actually work? because each centre is independent and I don't see much reason financially for them to let you dive for $30-$40, unless they charge you some membership fee (which is a waste on our end because we are just travelling).

I'm no expert, but I've heard that many DZs make a large proportion of their profit from tandems and students. They will make a small percentage of profit from a $30-40 jump ticket, but that is enough to keep the plane up and running. As far as I'm aware, most DZs will be happy to have you jump as many times as you like without buying a membership or anything... just buy your jump tickets and have fun :)

Your A license is valid at any training operation dropzone. Under APF rules there is a difference. One thing to watch out for is differences in gear, here in Perth we have a dz that uses ripcord rental and student gear, which is fine if that is what you learn't on, but not otherwise.

It's a pretty small community and your best simply posting about the area you'd like to jump and people can give specific advice. If you come across to Perth I'm a B-rel coach and would be very happy to help. Actually thinking about it, APF has the coach register online (my details are on there) look up the state and you'll find b.rel coaches they will all be willing to help.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

blueraincap

Have you skydived in other countries with your APF A? what kinda costs are charged.

All websites only contain info related to tandem and AFF.
How do you know they let A license guys to skydive with them? You have to call everyone to inquire?

You want to do some research on the dropzone you're going to anyway, so why not? It's probably not a good idea to go halfway across the world with your rig without any idea what you're getting into. At a minimum I'd ask around here about a dropzone I was planning to travel to, and contact the dropzone by phone or E-Mail prior to planning my vacation there.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Looking at your original question, I assume:
1. You have not done any skydiving yet
2. You don't have your own gear

Yes, skydiving around a country is cool. Expensive, but fun. Don't forget that many of the DZs are not easy for a traveller to get to. You'll probably need a car or a lot of patience.

Your A licence would entitle you to jump at sport DZs around Australia. Surely the websites you've looked at say if they have sport jumpers there? Or they at least have phone numbers and email addresses for you to ask the question. Or go to the APF website which lists what every DZ offers.

Anyway, I have jumped in Australia at several drop zones in several states. As an A licence holder you would still be a novice. As such, any jump that you do would be deemed a training jump. The Chief Instructor would keep a close eye on you - including deciding what jumps you can and cannot do, and what gear you can and cannot jump.

Each DZ sets its own prices for hiring equipment, anywhere from $50 to $90 per jump. And I have seen DZs charge retraining fees if they need to take time to train you in different emergency procedures for their hire equipment. You would be better off taking your own gear or only going to places that have hire gear familiar to you.