Deisel

Model's Propeller Accident

Maybe she should be suing the asphault company who laid the asphault down. She was on the asphault wasn't she ?

Yeah, but it wasn't their phault.

You have been found guilty of a terrible pun. You are hereby sentenced to drinking a beverage of your choice, you hilarious ba***stard. It sound like the old I'll sue because I'm blond and not legally responsible for my actions, You have the legal responsiblity to protect my from my self,

You can call me an asshole if you want,but walking into a spinning prop is pretty stupid.

I agree she doesn't have a case to sue, but would you be so damning if she wasn't? Anybody can make a mistake, especially at night, especially in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar hazards. Walking into a spinning prop can hardly be compared with stepping in front of a speeding train.

Are you trying to make me believe that it would be absolute pitch black next to a running aircraft sitting on a paved runway,on an airport,just because it is night time.
Do aircraft not have alot of lights on them at night?
Do airports have complete black outs when aircraft are landing?
Maybe I've missed something,but I could have sworn that even the small municipal airports are lit up like small towns.
And even if most people were unfamiliar with the situation,I would hope most would have enough common sense to know the prop is spinning on the front of the small proppeller driven airplane, wether you can see it or not.
Maybe I am wrong,and most people are without common sense.
You are right though about comparing the train to the spinning prop.
I think it could be easier to step in front of a train in a big,noisey,busy,bustling city where evryone is running around in a rush to get where they need to be, and letting their gaurd down because they are in a familiar everday environment where complacency is most likely very common. But it is still a pretty stupid thing, stepping in front of speeding train,and so is walking into a spinning prop.

But it is still a pretty stupid thing...walking into a spinning prop.

Maybe so, but a lot of smart people have done it. I say this for the benefit of those that think it could never happen to them. It can. All it takes is a momentary lapse of paying attention to an almost invisible danger; it's happened too many times for me to think it could never happen to me, and is something I really try to never forget. I've also been around helecopters quite a bit, and know the tail prop has eaten a few pretty smart people as well.
Yeah, dumb ones too, for sure.
But what do I know?

Loveland - Ft Collins Colo, airport about 1990.A An experienced skydiver was walking thru the hangar and (according to him) just "touched" the blade on a Cessna. The magneto fired it, and the blade went around just enough to come down somewhere on his head. Down played it, but the guy with him was thinking he was hospital bound. It may have been more of an incident than he let on.

Good point.
It could happen to anyone, and is more likely when complacency becomes a factor.
It seems a person would be more cautious when less familiar with a dangerous situation though.
The 1st time I flew,it was in a huey when I was a forest fire fighter. Good times!

>Are you trying to make me believe that it would be absolute pitch black next to a
>running aircraft sitting on a paved runway,on an airport,just because it is night time.
>Do aircraft not have alot of lights on them at night?

Not pointing at the prop where people can see it. A Cessna will have a landing/taxi light (if on) beneath the fuselage pointed forward, but the beacon and nav light will be well away from the propeller. This can actually make things MORE dangerous - by lighting up parts of the aircraft, it makes people pay attention to the lit parts even if they can't see the more dimly lit parts - and that gives them the confidence that they can safely get around the aircraft. (Which, of course, is how nav lights work to begin with.)

>And even if most people were unfamiliar with the situation,I would hope most would
>have enough common sense to know the prop is spinning on the front of the small
>proppeller driven airplane, wether you can see it or not.

Most people do. But since even skydivers and pilots walk into props occasionally, even experience and knowledge are not proof against mistakes.

All valid points.... However, you can't blame everyone else (i.e. lawsuit) for your own acts of stupidity. Yes, shit does happen! But suing someone else for your mistake is just wrong.

If you want to gain (financially) from your own acts of stupidity, purchase a "Stupid" insurance policy. I'm betting some slick agent will sell you some?
B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Yet insurance does cover stupid.

Insurance tends not to cover things occurring from criminal acts etc, but if you are stupid and in so doing crash your plane or car, burn down your house, or have a dumb guest slip on ice on porch stairs when not holding the railing ...insurance does generally cover that.

Not that I agree with her suing to be covered under the larger 3rd party liability part of the insurance rather than the smaller passenger insurance. Passenger liability is often lower, presumably because there is some assumption of risk there. (e.g., I don't know the US aviation market specifically, but in Canada one might have a minimum of $100k pax liability, but a minimum of $1M 3rd party liability)

I do not care how you try to make excuses for an adult walking into a spinning prop, unless you are blind or incapacitated in some other fashion, it is pretty stupid.Some people are saying that you can't see a spinning prop and it's true you can't,but I can't see the air I'm breathing either,but I know it's there.
If you do something stupid and get messed up or mess up someone else,then it is your fault, and if anyone pays for it,it should be you.
Trying to sue for being a dumbass seems to be acceptable nowdays.
Paople burning their crotch because the hot coffee was hot,and then blaming someone else for being careless.
Walking into spinning props because you are not thinking about what you are doing,walking off the subway platform because you are not paying attention.
Why should people be rewarded for acts of stupidity?
I mean,if that were the case,I would have been a billionaire by the end of my teenage years.

>I do not care how you try to make excuses for an adult walking into a spinning prop,
>unless you are blind or incapacitated in some other fashion, it is pretty stupid.

After every incident there are some people who say "that person was so stupid! What an idiot. Imagine, walking into a prop/not pulling/turning so low. Good thing me and my friends aren't that stupid."

This is often a defensive mechanism, a way of saying "this can't happen to me." That's a dangerous attitude to take - because even smart people walk into props. Thus the attitude of 'stupid people don't walk into props and I'm not stupid' sets people up to walk into props.

Flight instructors, test pilots, aicraft mechanics with 35 years of experience, ultralight pilots and skydivers have all made that mistake. The smart pilots/skydivers/mechanics think "wow, someday I _could_ make a mistake like those people - I better be on my guard against that."

....... But since even skydivers and pilots walk into props occasionally, even experience and knowledge are not proof against mistakes.

You'd think that once would be enough to lurn ya not to repeat the process.... even occasionally[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

it's a sad accident and i'm glad she's still alive..... but Stupid is an unfair label to use.

anyone who HAS been around airplanes when their engines are running has been indoctrinated since their first skydiving lesson, about the danger.
One of the most amazing things that impressed me when i first began this hobby, was Just that... We can stand right next to all sorts of planes.. single engine and multi, while they are running....with all the noise and wind and sometimes heat... that goes along with that...There are not too many other situations where that's possible... and it's a huge responsibility....:|

But we have been briefed and many know af accidents and near misses...

Do you know IF the subject of the Prop was EVER discussed with this Woman??? .. in a serious and effective way ?? i don't.

Was it common for the woman to ride in a small airplane? Do YOU remember how you may have felt once in a while,, after landing in a that sort of small plane.? while i honestly had over 150 jumps and therefore take-offs before i EVER landed in a plane,, I sometimes felt a bit wobbly, maybe my head or ears still stuffed up. ,maybe stomach queasy...:| on the few accasions where i "went for an airplane ride"...:)
Have some sympathy. [:/]She may have exited.. looked ahead of the plane, to where she was going..and taken the shortest path....:(

maybe the pilot should have finished his taxi roll with a bit of a turn to put the door of the plane into a position where IT faced her next direction of travel..without ANY alignment with the Front of the plane...i.e turn the business end of the aircraft OUT of harms way,,, !!!

i I have not read every detail and in fact am uncertain whether this was a low wing plane or a high wing plane.. If the second... then sure. she may have just ducked under the wing...

Insurance is intended for accidents...
if you're unhappy then fight for tort reform, don't launch a P A on the injured person by calling her, what you did.

jmy
A 3914
D 12122

Maybe they should counter sue her for damaging the plane..... but where does all this ligation get ya?

I wouldn't be surprised f this is down to some scumbag ambulance chasing shitester lawyer.:S>:(

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

***This is often a defensive mechanism,a way of saying "this can't happen to me"

You have me all wrong dude.
I am human,and humans do stupid things.
I have done some ultra stupid stuff as a teen and I'm sure that if I live long enough,I will do more stupid stuff.
This being said,it does not matter how good or smart you are or were. If you walk into a spinning prop,I and many others would call you an idiot,because it is really stupid to walk into a spinning prop.
I hope I never walk into one,because I would really look like a dumbass. Wait,hang on,I would be a dumbass for walking into a spinning prop.

>However, you can't blame everyone else (i.e. lawsuit) for your own acts of stupidity.

Agreed there.

Danny Page got hit in the head with the propeller of his own airplane once when he was trying to prop start it. It fucked him up. Should he have sued himself? I'm just asking.

Danny Page got hit in the head with the propeller of his own airplane once when he was trying to prop start it. It fucked him up. Should he have sued himself? I'm just asking.

He could sue the manufacturer of the airplane, the manufacturer of the propeller, the installer of the avionics, the aviation fuel delivery company, and the people who poured the asphault.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

You have me all wrong dude.
I am human,and humans do stupid things.
I have done some ultra stupid stuff as a teen and I'm sure that if I live long enough,I will do more stupid stuff.
This being said,it does not matter how good or smart you are or were. If you walk into a spinning prop,I and many others would call you an idiot,because it is really stupid to walk into a spinning prop.
I hope I never walk into one,because I would really look like a dumbass. Wait,hang on,I would be a dumbass for walking into a spinning prop.

Its about as dumb as people killing themselves under open canopies, huh!.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

***Its about as dumb as people killing themselves under open canopies,huh!

Yep,that sure sounds dumb. I have to say though that I have spanked the dirt a few times myself.
I was lucky enough to limp away with my ego receiving the brunt of the punishment.
I sure felt like a dumbass.
I think walking into a spinning prop would take it to the next level of dumbass.

yeah..... maybe for YOU!!!!!! or for others who HAVE some sense of it's danger.. who HAve been warned....for whom being AROUND a running aircraft may be commonplace..:|
But this lady????? how do YOU know how well briefed about it..... she was????[:/]

jeeze man, have a little sympathy...

jmy

So you do not believe that the spinning propeller on the airplane would be considered common knowlege in our modern 21st century society here in the USA.
I could see an argument for somone from a primitive society without any experience of modern 21st century technology like AIRPLANES.
I do feel bad for the girl,but she still did something pretty dumb.
All the people who have walked into a spinning prop with the knowlege of said prop(pilots,skydivers,mechanics,adults raised in modern societies,ect....) are guilty of an act of stupity.
To expect someone else to pay for your act of stupidity is stupid.
But I guess here in the USA this has become the way things are done.
You can even sue someone because you eat to much junk and you are obese,because the food taste so good you could'nt muster the self control to stop eating it.
The coffee was hot and I burned myself when I dumped it in my crack,it's your fault so I'm going to sue you.

>However, you can't blame everyone else (i.e. lawsuit) for your own acts of stupidity.

Agreed there.

Hi One

If Danny had the right insurance coverage and his company refused to pay. :o

Than he would have to sue his insurace company. To collect the coverage he had paid for.[:/]

Kind of like the VA: Deny, Delay, until they Die>:(

History of insurance: Long but there's a index;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance#History_of_insurance
One Jump Wonder