kllrbee

Noob questions

Hey all
Sorry if these questions are beating a dead horse but my internet is down so im using my phone and its a pita to search with it....ha.
Anyways...im very green with all this. I have only done 2 tandem jumps....both over 5 years ago.
I obviously loved it and have wanted to go back and get certified but life and money got in the way.
I have saved up enough for the training....but im concerned with the gear. Ive heard to buy used up until one has about 100 jumps....but to be honest...I dont even know what im looking at when im reading a classified ad fr a rig....ha.
im 5'9"...160... could u guys point me in the right direction for what i need in a starter rig. I know i wont need it until i get my license but id like to start looking so i can plan ahead.
thnx all!

You have a way to go until you're ready to be concerned about gear. Concentrate on getting started first and then start saving for gear.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Exactly this. You need to get trained before you and your mentors or instructors even know where you need to start with gear, other that that your gear needs to fit. Canopy size and style is going to depend on your weight and ability when you have or are close to a license. There's little point in worrying about it now.
Owned by Remi #?

kllrbee

Hey all
Sorry if these questions are beating a dead horse but my internet is down so im using my phone and its a pita to search with it....ha.
Anyways...im very green with all this. I have only done 2 tandem jumps....both over 5 years ago.
I obviously loved it and have wanted to go back and get certified but life and money got in the way.
I have saved up enough for the training....but im concerned with the gear. Ive heard to buy used up until one has about 100 jumps....but to be honest...I dont even know what im looking at when im reading a classified ad fr a rig....ha.
im 5'9"...160... could u guys point me in the right direction for what i need in a starter rig. I know i wont need it until i get my license but id like to start looking so i can plan ahead.
thnx all!

As the others have said, use the DZ gear for training and get your own once your training's done. Much easier that way. Your dropzone might have a gear guy who can help you find some deals. If it doesn't, you can still talk to packers, riggers, and other skydivers to get an idea of what you'll be looking for in a rig.

If you buy online, make sure the seller will ship to your DZ's rigger for an inspection before you buy. This is standard practice for buying gear and if they're not willing to do it, I'd assume they're trying to put one over on you. Also make sure to get serial numbers on all the parts, which you can verify against the various stolen gear databases and with your rigger to make sure they didn't lie to you about any of them.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

If I were you...

Read, listen...ask & learn.

Start a 'rig savings fund' with target of 3500 to 5500 U.S. dollars...by the time you're ready, you have a basic idea as to what you should be looking for.

Then BE READY for when that kind of stuff comes around and snatch it up...getting 'something' you're not ready for means it sits until you are - and who knows maybe a better deal on better gear will present itself - & there ya are suckin' eggs, stuck with that 'other' stuff. ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

kllrbee

Hey all
thnx all!

The fact that you're thinking about gear is good, but don't over-think it. There is an abundance of good, used gear on the market and your height/weight put you smack in the middle of the bell curve of body types so finding the right stuff shouldn't be hard.

The opinions you get here are valuable, but for specifics I suggest you start at your DZ when you get into your training. You didn't mention where you plan to train, but most DZ's offer gear sales of some type and the DZO, manager, or DZ gear dealer can point you in the right direction.

No two jumpers need the same gear. The right equipment for you after graduating will depend on factors like your abilities in canopy control, what disciplines you plan to participate in, and how much you can spend. Your local DZ leadership will know best how to help you make good decisions.

Good luck buddy, and welcome to the obsession.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

No two jumpers need the same gear. The right equipment for you after graduating will depend on factors like your abilities in canopy control, what disciplines you plan to participate in, and how much you can spend.

And what *fits*, right?
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

No two jumpers need the same gear. The right equipment for you after graduating will depend on factors like your abilities in canopy control, what disciplines you plan to participate in, and how much you can spend.

And what *fits*, right?

yep.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Since you haven't filled out your profile, it limits our ability to answer your questions a bit.

I cannot speak for other countries, but here in the USA your training jumps all include the rental of the gear. Thus, the gear issue isn't too relevant while you are doing training jumps.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Hey
thnx for the advice.
I filled in the profile a lil bit.
im on the IL/WI border...Id be going to skydive milwaukee / sky knights. ...its only about 25 miles from me.

I hope i didnt make it sound like i was planning to buy gear while in training...i know they provide everything i need.
I just wanted to get a headstart so i know how much i would need to save.

Im sure im gonna love it but man....this is an expensive sport!

Skyknights is a good place (well, except maybe for the naked guy :P).
By the time you need your own gear, you will have a good idea of what you will need. And people who will help you find it.

You also have a decent sized population of jumpers around you (Skyknights, Midwest, Skydive Chicago, Chicagoland, plus all the little places) and you stand a pretty good chance of being able to find something suitable from someone getting new stuff or getting out of the sport.

Once you get your A, get the word out that you are looking for a first rig.
Make sure anything you are interested in gets a good inspection by a rigger you know, trust and who has no interest in the sale.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I just wanted to get a headstart so i know how much i would need to save

That's a valid point. However, what exactly you're going to need in a first rig will have nothing to do with the price. You can put together almost any sort of used rig for between $2500 and $3500 without an AAD (the AAD is the little computer that cuts the reserve closing loop if you're in freefall at too low of an altitude).

If you want an AAD, you might be able to find a used one and the price will reflect the age of the unit. The Cypres 2, the one you want, has a 12 year life span, so it loses value every year. You might find a 10 year old one you can buy for $200 or $300, and jump it for 2 years. The other option is to buy a new one for $1300/$1400, and plan on it losing about $100 in value while you jump it, but you can sell it easily for the remaining value without too much trouble if you get out of the sport. If you keep jumping for 12 years (or more), the AAD can be installed in any rig you buy in that time frame.

But in terms of the harness/container (these are one component), the main canopy and reserve canopy, $2500 to $3500 is a good budget for a 'nice' used rig with fairly modern components. There are rigs for less, and rigs for more, but if you can work within that range, you should have no problem setting up a rig.

One other thing to keep in mind, if you spend $3000 on a used rig and you pay a fair price for it, you can jump it for a year or two and 100 or 200 jumps, and then be able to sell it for $2750 or better. A used rig that has already depreciated in price from new won't really depreciate all that much more while you jump/own it, so it's really not a bad 'investment' in that sense.

kllrbee

Im sure im gonna love it but man....this is an expensive sport!

1. You have no idea how expensive! It can cost you all your free time, it can cost you your friends, it can cost you your romantic partner, it can cost you your job.... it goes on and on.

2. When budgeting, remember to allow ~$1000 for gear other than your rig such as: helmet, visual altimeter, audible altimiter, jump suit, etc. How much you spend for this stuff can vary TREMENDOUSLY based on what you get and new/used. If you go low-end/used you could get the non-rig stuff for way less. However, you could easily spend at least $1000 on this stuff if you go high-end and new.

For example, I know two new jumpers who each recently bought high-end & new:
G3 helmet ~$350
N3 visual altimeter ~$350
New audible altimeter ~$250
Custom Jumpsuit ~>$300

Of course, there are lower cost new choices and a wide array of used products to choose from.

3. Beware of "skydiver crack" and your budget... wind tunnel time is incredibly addicting. It is a very useful tool, and tremendous fun, but you can easily fly through ~$1000 of tunnel time in a day!

Welcome to the sky.

Good Luck and Blue Skies.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Skydiver crack?

Ive seen videos of wind tunnels....looks fun....but meh..

Thnx all for the replies.

Dave....u make a good point. I didnt even think about resale.

I think the general consensus though....is that im getting way ahead of myself....and i agree. I havent even taken lesson 1 yet....haha.

I hope i dont love it too much though....I think i can only afford about 100 jumps a year....lol.

Thnx again for the advice. I think it might be a lil while before i can start training. Its very cold here....but ill keep browsing the site to try qnd learn as i go along here.

I think i can only afford about 100 jumps a year.

There is NOTHING wrong with that.
Stay within your budget and you'll have more fun.

I have a theory about the 7 year tourist in the sport. I think many f them run up too much on credit cards and at 7 years have to back off skydiving completely to catch back up and then the fervor wanes as that's their last memory of the sport. The expensive addiction.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I didnt even think about resale

You did mention that you thought it was an expensive sport, so I figured that might a something to keep in mind.

If you buy used gear that's considered 'modern', and don't hang onto it for more than 2 or 3 years tops, you can get most of your money back out of it (of course, provided you take care of it).

So what you do is buy your first rig, then pay for (mostly) your next one by selling the first one. This way, you make the one big investment, then just cash it out when you want to jump something else.

Now the end-game is another story. One mistake people make is that they quit skydiving slowly. They stop jumping, but are in denial and keep insisting that they'll be back. Good for them, but bad for the value of their gear. If you buy a 3 year old rig and jump it for 2 seasons, you have a nice 5 year old rig you can sell. If you stick in your closet for 5 years, while you insist that you're going to jump again, now you have a 10 year old rig and the value is going to be way down.

The long and short of it is that if you manage the situation properly, you can jump and own used gear for not too much dough. Yes, you do have several thousand dollars you need to tie up in the whole thing, but you can get the bulk of that back out in the end if you play your card right.

Again, the AAD is another story. It's just a cost to own one and the extra layer of safety it provides. Again, figure about $125 per year to have an AAD in your rig, but you may have to tie up the full $1300 while you're jumping to make it all happen.

Allow your instructors and coaches to guide you when it comes time to buy gear. What you can start doing now is getting the generic things : helmet, goggles, altimeter, etc... Than when you're ready, your instructors willbegin to tell you what you should be thinking of in terms of gear purchase. Don't be in a hurry.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Another thing you might want to consider is what discipline you are interested in. Accuracy needs different equipment than RW. With RW you have to decide if you want two or one or none audible altitude devices. If you're swooping over water you'll want a waterproof altimeter. BASE jumping will take entirely different gear and special fake IDs if you get arrested. Of course freeflying and wingsuiting both take different stuff.
It can be really complicated so most people would say to ask your instructors when you get to the point buying gear makes sense. You could call for some gear catalogs now though to get prepared for later.

I agree with everyone who says wait, as well as those who said don't buy new. I have less than 400 jumps and have bought lots of used equipment from the DZ.COM classified section. So far I have purchased 1 FF Suit, 2 RW suits, 1 Camera Suit, 1 Wingsuit, 2 Helmets, 2 altimeters, Container, Main, & reserve. The only 'new' items I have purchased were goggles and my first helmet.
In my experience, skydivers tend to be honest and helpful when selling gear. It is a karma thing.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

...In my experience, skydivers tend to be honest and helpful when selling gear. It is a karma thing.

Most of them, yes. Enough of them aren't though, so being very careful is a good idea.

The prices are high enough that running a scam can be very profitable.

Others price "gutter gear" as high as decent used gear.

Fortunately, the honest sellers (again, the majority are honest) understand the concerns of buyers and are usually willing to accommodate cautious buyers with inspections and escrow deals (those protect the seller too).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo