brendhanbb

how do you know when to pull the chute.

i am just curious but how do you know when you are supposed to pull the chute i have never known this but yeah i am just curious how you know when the right time to pull is

When you can see the hair on the cows backs, and the frogs on the ground. J/K!

ridebmxbikes

We use altimeters that tell us how high we are, eyes are another resource. After jumping for a while you can usually tell about how high you are.

fair enough i guess its just about becoming more expeirenced and knowing but almost by instinct when to pull i guess.

Please stop starting a new thread for every question you have. You're clogging up space here by doing that, and it's annoying. Seriously.

Take a few minutes to think, then make a list of the various questions you have as a potential beginner, then put them in a single thread. That's the best way to get serious and polite responses.

brendhanbb

i am just curious but how do you know when you are supposed to pull the chute i have never known this but yeah i am just curious how you know when the right time to pull is.

Short answer: by wearing an altimeter and pulling at an agreed altitude.

Other answers: There are also audible altimeters that signal when it is time to pull. On tandem jumps the instructor may handle this 100% so the student/passenger doesn't have to worry about pulling. On AFF jumps, and SOLELY as a backup, an instructor will signal when it is time to pull if the student appears to be having trouble w/altitude awareness. When I did the static line progression back in the 80's, freefall delays of 10 sec or less were done via a count rather than with an altimeter, although I don't know if this is still standard practice for the static line progression.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Andy is very concerned about clogging up space on DZ.com. The poor owners of this site hate it when new people join and Andy is very worried about the cost to these poor owners. Which is why he has limited his posts to just over 21600. Please, have some respect for the struggling owners of this website. Luckily they have Andy to watch out for them. Too many people spend their time worrying about homelessness and poverty and stuff. DZ.com owners are being overlooked! But not by Andy thank God.

DJL

I'm blind so I have to use a flare Beagle. When the leash goes slack and I hear a howl it's time to pull the chute.

oh god this is hilarious... I'm just using the visual and... I just snarfed my coffee

I was told "When people look like ants: PULL. When ants look like people: PRAY"
You are not the contents of your wallet.

When I started in 68 I couldn't afford an altimeter. My first 35 jumps were made without one. I just counted out seconds. It works. If you lose track you can just pull.

My first altimeter was a big military surplus aircraft instrument with a homemade belly reserve mount that I made from a piece of aluminum using a hacksaw, a nibbling tool and a file. What safety it added in altitude awareness it subtracted in being a snag hazard.

Now I have two audibles, a wrist and a chest pillow mounted visual altimeter. I love gadgets. But I was actually more tuned in to altitude when I had no altimeter. I literally thought about it every second as I counted them off.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.