verticalflyer

market research Skydivers jobs

Just a quick enquiry, I remember seeing a while back that a survey of skydivers had been carried out and skydivers made up the top 10% of the country in earnings and job type ( Lets face to support jumping habits you either need to be paid well, work in the sport or be born loaded. Can anyone refer me to the location of this data or just quote it for me as I am carrying out some research for a marketing proposal that needs this info.

Thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Fraser;)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

You gotta be kidding! Tell me your a Republican and the economy is getting better and better and job opportunities abound...

I really question your clain. 80% of the people I know how jump are really tight for jump funds.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

>skydivers made up the top 10% of the country in earnings and job type . . .

>Lets face to support jumping habits you either need to be paid well, work in the sport or be born loaded.

Not in many places. I started when I was making peanuts. I financed my first 50 jumps by packing. There are places where jumps aren't $20 a jump, where people spend $1000 for a rig and not $6000, and where jumpsuits are actually used for years and then handed down. You can spend a lot of money in this sport but you don't have to.

>
Not in many places. I started when I was making peanuts. I financed my first 50 jumps by packing. There are places where jumps aren't $20 a jump, where people spend $1000 for a rig and not $6000, and where jumpsuits are actually used for years and then handed down. You can spend a lot of money in this sport but you don't have to.

No kidding! When I started I only earned $800 a month as a grad student, and after rent, and cheese sandwiches to eat, I was still blowing a couple of hundred at least on jumping. But when I tried to sell my blood for jump money I was turned down because I was anemic - I couldn't really afford much meat back then :-)

I was asking for the information not agreeing with it, I started on a £150 rig which was a Chaser with a 1979 Pegasus and a 26ft Lopo. I found the source or research its in the Skydivers handbook. As those who have pinted out there are exceptions but as I said most either pack, instruct or work in an asociated area. The point was that those who jump a lot a dont fall into those categories must be fairly well off.

Thanks for the feed back, Once I get hold of the page I'll find the relevant numbers which may be of interest.

Cheers

Fraser

Just a quick enquiry, I remember seeing a while back that a survey of skydivers had been carried out and skydivers made up the top 10% of the country in earnings and job type ( Lets face to support jumping habits you either need to be paid well, work in the sport or be born loaded. Can anyone refer me to the location of this data or just quote it for me as I am carrying out some research for a marketing proposal that needs this info.

Thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Fraser;)

Yes, skydivers are the smartest people in the country. No doubt about it.

Thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Fraser;)

Yes, skydivers are the smartest people in the country. No doubt about it.

WOW you dug up an 11 year old post for that:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks for any feedback

Cheers

Fraser;)

I am paid well..i have a career not a job.
I don't work in the sport.
I wasn't born loaded...I pay for my own expenses..unlike kids these days that have mommy and daddy pay for them.

Just a quick enquiry, I remember seeing a while back that a survey of skydivers had been carried out and skydivers made up the top 10% of the country in earnings and job type

Engineers, doctors, and lawyers are over-represented compared to the fraction of the general population they compose but only constitute a minority within the skydiving community.

Lets face to support jumping habits you either need to be paid well, work in the sport or be born loaded.

It's about priorities. Rent your own one-bedroom apartment ($600/month) or a room in a house ($300/month) and make 15 jumps. Get a car with a loan ($200/month) or drive one that's paid off and older than you and make 10 jumps. Go out drinking at bars a couple nights a week or make several jumps each weekend.

Get a new container and reserve for $2000 or an old airworthy combination for $800 and make 60 jumps. Get a new canopy in your colors for $1500 or a lightly used one for $600 and make 45 jumps. Buy a $300 brand name jump suit or have a local rigger make one for $150 and make 8 jumps (that actually worked out better - he sewed in an accent stripe instead of doing it as an applique so the suit had no seam on the shoulders where your rig sits).

Obviously these numbers are a bit dated, but the principles still apply.

Lets face to support jumping habits you either need to be paid well, work in the sport or be born loaded

Totally false. You make choices and then love with them. If you want to drive a new car and take out a loan for it.... Well that 500/mth is going to your car and not jumping. You want to live in the 'cool' part of town and have a big house? Well that is money that is going to housing and not jumping.

I had a good job and lived in the DZ trailer park. My rent was 125/mth. My friends lived in apartments and paid 600-900/mth. I drove a paid off car, my friends had a new car and a payment ~400/mth.

So their cost of living was 900-1200/mth more (not including the higher cost of insurance...Etc). Jumps back then were 23/jump. So that's almost 40 jumps/mth. I could and did make.

Yes it helps to make good money. But I just bought an aerobatic plane and I am not 'rich' by any means. I budget well, spend smart and pay cash for toys. If I can't afford it, I save up till Icahn afford it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Wow I posted this ten years and 2000 jumps ago, someone must really be dredging the posts. Holy post revival batman.

Have to say in ten years I agree with the posters, whilst money helps if you want it badly enough you can make it happen and just budget properly, however cash always helps.:)