wasatchrider

How many dont bother to get a license?

First license was a C. I did everything for the D; card filled out, passed the test, had the jumps but didn't see a good reason to send the USPA the cash for the license. I still have all the paperwork somewhere... just never sent it in and that was over 30 years ago. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Okay, I think I am finally beginning to understand it. It appears that the act of not sending the completed license application in is a passive aggressive equivalent of a “stick it to the man” move. We skydivers are such rebels :$.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

I forgot to mention one reason additional for some folks in the USA to get the B & C licenses: Currency!

If a jumper frequents a DZ which enforces the USPA currency thresholds.... paying for the B & C licenses may be a bargain if it keeps you from having to deal with re-currency training and supervised jumps. The 60 day A-license threshold can become a huge pain in the butt when weather gets bad. :|

The 180 day threshold for C & D jumpers provides a huge amount of flexibility for the jumper. Example: I dislocated my foot while landing a few years ago. I recovered from the acute phase, completed ALL of my PT rehab and got back in the sky without ever hitting my 180 day currency threshold. B|

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

rwieder

So you had to perform the much acclaimed "night jump" to attain your "D?"

Best-
Richard

Is that a problem? I've already done three. I'd be as much of a night jump whore as I am a high pull whore, if my home DZ would do them more than a couple times a summer.

During the summer I seem to average one 12K hop and pop a week.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FataMorgana

Okay, I think I am finally beginning to understand it. It appears that the act of not sending the completed license application in is a passive aggressive equivalent of a “stick it to the man” move. We skydivers are such rebels :$.

No just haven't seen the point. If you can pay for one instead of three I save money though. Just thinking if I want to travel this winter I probably won't get as much crap when I show up to a dz with my wing suit with a c license rather then on student status.
BASE 1519

. If you can pay for one instead of three I save money though.

That is not entirely accurate. IF you jump someplace which enforces the USPA re-currency thresholds, it could be way more expensive to go through re-currecny training and/or supervised recurrency jump than to have paid for a higher license with a longer currecncy threshold.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I jumped for years on my CSPA A 693, issued March 75 including jumping in the States at Z Hills, Xenia, and Hell Michigan. Was never a problem and continued to do the same when I moved to Aussie.
Then One day Ron LLewellin, who was running the Byron Bay NSW drop zone Pulled me up and wouldn't let entre the competition he was hosting (after I'd been jumping there for about a year) and made me fill out the paper work for A,B,C, & D. So I have all these with the same issue date of May 84.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

I forgot to mention one reason additional for some folks in the USA to get the B & C licenses: Currency!

This.

In addition to having longer windows for currency, you also can travel around more freely without having to worry about being unnecessarily restricted.

If all you have is an A you might find yourself having to land at a secondary "student" landing area or not being able to participate in specialty jump that requires more than an A license (balloon jumps, beach jumps, etc.)

Any one of those is a good enough reason in my book but when you put them all together pushing some paper through the machine to get a license beyond A seems worth it. YMMV of course.

I also made some jumps into Hell back in the 75-76 time frame. I assume you are talking about the DZ at Gregory. Steve Fellows was running it at the time.

I never bothered to apply for a license back in those days. Log book was all that was needed. I now regret not getting licensed.

GLIDEANGLE

. If you can pay for one instead of three I save money though.

That is not entirely accurate. IF you jump someplace which enforces the USPA re-currency thresholds, it could be way more expensive to go through re-currecny training and/or supervised recurrency jump than to have paid for a higher license with a longer currecncy threshold.

Assuming you actually wait that long.

I never went more than 30 days between jumps over my first 10 years and probably would have kept up the pace if I hadn't herniated my L4-L5 disc in a horrible sneezing accident.

It's also worth noting that you don't need to be current to get a license.

My original plan was to hit the 1000 jump mark with only an A license until I realized that I needed to have at least a B license to compete at nationals :(

I had already done everything needed for the license except for the test, so around the 500 jump mark I got my B license. Ah well, might as well finish it off with the C and D now...

I don't, but then again, I am a funjumper, and can do everything I want to with the minimum. If I want to become a coach/instructor or so then I suppose it is needed. I also don't do exhibit jumps, purely cause of the danger side of it.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I never bothered to get mine.. I have jumped at the WFFC, beaches, helis and balloons. even did a demo (shh) but I did have a logbook. Not so long ago nobody cared so much about the license as they do now. My gear bag along with my rig, alti and logbook disappeared mysteriously with my ex-wife. After a few years I finally bought another rig and rushed out to the dz. Times have changed, without a logbook or a license I had to jump through some hoops, nothing major.. but my advice is get the license now so you can jump anywhere without a hassle.

mccurley

That was Gregory, but Hell sounds so much cooler!!
Jumped there with Billy Weber and Harry Zeckman

I agree jumping into Hell does sound very cool. Actually did make some winter dives there when Hell was frozen over.

I jumped with those two as well. I made quite a few jumps with Harry. I also jumped with Billy, Harry was dating Billy's sister, Shirley.

Matter of fact my profile picture was taken there.

I skipped the A because I came up pretty fast and qualified for the B within a couple of months of my first jump. I later got the C so I could jump at nationals, but I blew off getting the D right away, that is until I heard someone say "hey, those D license numbers might go to five digits someday".

In the 70s and 80s the SCR type awards meant more than a license, which made sense, they measured not only your abilities but to a point the abilities of the group you jumped with...