InternetNinja

New skydiver not feeling the 'it' factor

So, this is my first post and I apologize in advance for offending anyone, as that is not my intention. I have been debating with myself on this for a few days, and I feel as if the opinions of more experienced men and women may help. So here it is:

I am new to skydiving (obviously). It has been something that I have always wanted to do since I was a young child; I am 26 now. Anyway, I have been participating in an AFF course, and am currently through three jumps, one of which being minimal assistance. The problem is that I am finding no sense of enjoyment through any of the jumps. I figured the first time I jumped I would be excited, nervous, terrified, overjoyed, something.. but I was not. The walk to the plane, boarding, flight, standing at the door, and the freefall all produced a feeling of 'meh'. I did not experience a feeling of freedom in the air, no adrenaline, no 'it factor', and no accomplishment other than to say that I've done it upon landing.

I suppose my main question here is "Is this something that I should pursue?" I mean, it was cool, and I know I can eventually explore different avenues, such as a wingsuit or free flying, but if I am already at this point (let's say bored) after so few jumps, is this really something that is worth investing the time and money in?

Skydiving isn't for everyone. I don't do it for the adrenaline rush. I enjoy the focus on each jump and sharing that with my friends.

If you don't like it, you can always try bowling. I hear it is the next extreme sport.:P

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

but if I am already at this point (let's say bored) after so few jumps, is this really something that is worth investing the time and money in?

Probably not. You should invest your time and money in something that motivates or moves you.
Owned by Remi #?

I have no idea what you should do.

I can tell you as a new skydiver that I fell in love the sport the moment I stepped out if the door.

I think about it often and look forward to every single jump. I am constantly trying to learn more and get better, watching the weather, planning jumps, etc.. It's super fun. I don't do it for the adrenaline, it's much more about fun. I've done several sports and this is by far the most fun for me.

It's certainly isn't for everyone. Good luck!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

InternetNinja

So, this is my first post and I apologize in advance for offending anyone, as that is not my intention. I have been debating with myself on this for a few days, and I feel as if the opinions of more experienced men and women may help. So here it is:

I am new to skydiving (obviously). It has been something that I have always wanted to do since I was a young child; I am 26 now. Anyway, I have been participating in an AFF course, and am currently through three jumps, one of which being minimal assistance. The problem is that I am finding no sense of enjoyment through any of the jumps. I figured the first time I jumped I would be excited, nervous, terrified, overjoyed, something.. but I was not. The walk to the plane, boarding, flight, standing at the door, and the freefall all produced a feeling of 'meh'. I did not experience a feeling of freedom in the air, no adrenaline, no 'it factor', and no accomplishment other than to say that I've done it upon landing.

I suppose my main question here is "Is this something that I should pursue?" I mean, it was cool, and I know I can eventually explore different avenues, such as a wingsuit or free flying, but if I am already at this point (let's say bored) after so few jumps, is this really something that is worth investing the time and money in?

Nope. Maybe give it another couple of jumps (especially if they are already paid for!) but don't force it.
PLENTY of other things to do out there. Maybe get in the sea and try some kitesurfing.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Many struggle with the training and wonder, "Should I continue?". I was one of them. Now I always say, "Keep trying as long as you have the desire to". If you are not driven in some way, then I would not think it worth while to continue.

Jumping in a group and the intense pursuit of the jump objectives is what I enjoy most about the sport. And there is just something about being in the air and flying that I have always wanted to do. As young as you are, you have a lot of time ahead of you to come back if your interests change.

Just take note that if keep looking and thinking about the sky, you might have something wrong with you. :)
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

shropshire

Each to their own.... but if you are not feeling 'anything' then you are probably not fully aware... Please feel free to be on a different load to me and my mates .. thank you.

I'd rather jump with someone who is a bit bored than someone so amped up they don't think straight. Sensory overload is definitely a problem, sensory underload usually isn't.

To the OP. In my opinion, skydiving is far too dangerous and expensive to continue if you don't love doing it.

When I started wingsuiting I felt a bit like this. I think at the time I was so well briefed and so focused on performing well that I wasn't really nervous and everything went exactly to plan so it all just felt a bit satisfactory.
Might be that with a few more jumps you'll relax into it a bit more and start to appreciate a few bits that have so far passed you by. I'd say stick around until you've at least tried an unstable exit and tracking and if you still aren't having fun you're probably dead on the inside

DeeBeeGee

... and if you still aren't having fun you're probably dead on the inside..

That's a pretty fucking stupid statement.

I don't get the enjoyment of people sitting around and playing Bridge at night. But plenty of people seem to love it. Am I dead inside too?

To the OP: WE. LOVE. jumping out of planes. Feel free to give a few more jumps a shot. If it isn't blowing your skirt up, go find something that does. Life's too short to do something that you aren't having fun with.

New jumpers are normally lacking in situational awareness. Things are so new, and happening so fast that it's nearly impossible to take it all in. For some (maybe most?), this increases their fear and excitement. Even though you are not feeling the fear and excitement, you may not yet be able to take it all in and just enjoy the view and the relaxing freedom of flying your body in freefall.

It's sounds like you are focused, and handling the training well enough. But just falling stable is really not all that exciting once you get over the initial shock of throwing yourself from a plane. If you've got that all under control, then great. You are ready to learn what really makes skydiving fun.

Beyond just being able to save yourself from impacting the earth, the challenge to learn new skills is always present in the sport. There's several disciplines to focus on, and compete in, if competition might drive your excitement. But even the basics such as turning, recovering from instability, tracking, and flying relative to others all will offer a challenge.

I think by posting here, you are telling us you are invested enough to at least be curious what the sport is all about. So I say at least complete the AFF training and see how you feel then.

wildcard451

***... and if you still aren't having fun you're probably dead on the inside..

That's a pretty fucking stupid statement.

I don't get the enjoyment of people sitting around and playing Bridge at night. But plenty of people seem to love it. Am I dead inside too?

To the OP: WE. LOVE. jumping out of planes. Feel free to give a few more jumps a shot. If it isn't blowing your skirt up, go find something that does. Life's too short to do something that you aren't having fun with.
THIS!

I'd suggest finishing AFF and making your first solo jump then you've truly been there done that and if the drive to get right back up and do it again isn't there buy your beer and ride off to the next adventure.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

You feel nothing?

Do you look forward to it?

I can tell you that I just finished everything for my A license, I am freshly minted as of yesterday! I bought my own Rig and gear on AFP level 8.

For *me* it is therapy. I feel free, relaxed, and just plain HAPPY while in freefall!!!! It never gets old, and I cannot wait to do it again.

Maybe it is not your thing. Try a few more levels, where you play around with instable moves and docking, then see what happens.
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

Many thanks to most of you for the great replies thus far. I suppose the best way for me to correlate my skydiving experience is with motorcycles. The first time I rode a bike, I KNEW I loved it, and could not wait for the next time that I got to go out and ride. That is not the case with jumping for me. The technical aspect of it really doesn't hold a draw to me, and I was not overly amped to go back up as soon as my feet touched the ground. I know it is not danger of death that draws me, since driving to the DZ is three times more likely to kill me than the jump. It is very unfortunate, because I always thought that I would fall in love with skydiving right away, which I have seen with so many others. The fact of the matter is I am more confused than anything. I would love for my excitement level to rise with subsequent jumps which I can't know unless I do it, but why spend the time and money if my heart is not in it from the start. Catch 22; I know.

As far as bowling, hookers, bridge, and blow: Been there, done that and I found it all as exciting as jumping out of a plane and running with bulls; it's fun, but it doesn't make my heart flutter.

It is very unfortunate, because I always thought that I would fall in love with skydiving right away, which I have seen with so many others.

Eh. You created a fantasy of skydiving in your mind that didn't match up to the reality. Keep jumping and figure out if you like what it actually is, or move on. It's not the end of the world. Spend your money and time elsewhere. Skydiving will still be around if you decide to try it again someday, and it (and your life) will go on if you don't. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The first time i did a tandem it was amazing to me. Yelled the whole time in free fall. As I was walking to the parking lot a experienced jumper said "your hooked aren't you?". I was and when I finally started my aff, the second after I did my canopy control check I yelled "fuck yeah" so loud I think I scared the fish in the lake below me. That's the Same feeling I get every time I jump. On the other hand my girlfriend and my friend did tandems on my bday, my friend who had done an aff 1 before and several tandems was nervous, I was still nervous/anticipating after only 16 jumps, but my girlfriend looked like she was bored on the ride up, free fall video more of the same. She said it was fun, than told me she would probably be more excited for Aff and solo. Now I'll tell you what I say to her, why risk your life for something that you feel is just hmmmmm ok.

NWFlyer

It is very unfortunate, because I always thought that I would fall in love with skydiving right away, which I have seen with so many others.

Eh. You created a fantasy of skydiving in your mind that didn't match up to the reality. Keep jumping and figure out if you like what it actually is, or move on. It's not the end of the world. Spend your money and time elsewhere. Skydiving will still be around if you decide to try it again someday, and it (and your life) will go on if you don't. :)

it sounds like you jumped right into skydiving head first after thinking about it a long time. was there anything in particuler you wanted to do in this sport? wing suit, base, freely, swoop, rw, crw? or did you think it was gonna be pure adrenaline?

personally i couldn't think of a better way to relax and beat my body up at the same time. they say skydiving is safer than... there are real risks(calcuated risks) that you have to decide if the risk worth it.

it can be kinda boring going through the student training but you will be constantly introduced to a new aspect of the sport for a very long time! its a huge journey.

InternetNinja

driving to the DZ is three times more likely to kill me than the jump.

Where did you get this stat? From what I know chance to die in a single skydive is same as 3 weeks car driving in US.

About the original post, you've never mentioned your financial situation, which strikes me as odd. There are people who save for months for AFF, and there are people who earn 20k to 200k a month who treat the cost of AFF as spare change. Obviously it really depends on how much the opportunity cost of finishing AFF is.

Sorry, american forum, must use emoticons.. :$

wildcard451

If you ever made a no trump grand slam and felt no buzz then just maybe you are :P