Vex

Skydive Zephyrhills

Hi all,

Will be out here during the end of March and had a question:

What affordable and decent hotels/motels are there in the area (say about 30 mile radius or less)?

When I mean affordable I'm talking cheaper the better, but I don't want to be staying an a place that has poor facilities.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
V.

P.S: Would there happen to be any BPA coaches/advanced instructors that work at Z-hills? Just curious.

I've never stayed in a local hotel there.

I learned to jump there many years ago...started my addiction by bringing a tent and staying the weekends. (showers, food, drinks, bonfire, friends, everything you need on-site).
I've slept in packing tents, couches in the bunker (being awakened by mosquitoes at 4am isn't fun!), friends' campers, I bought a used school bus/camper at the DZ, stayed with local friends, made the long drive, and finally a few years ago we bought our own camper!
So I can't advise on local hotels.

I CAN say it's a wonderful DZ with a good staff and a lot of good folks there.

I think, not positive, but I think there are a few BPA rated instructors around.
There ARE plenty of people that talk funny around there though, so your chances should be good.
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

http://www.microtelinn.com/hotels/florida/zephyrhills/microtel-inns-and-suites-zephyrhills/hotel-overview

I've stayed at the above hotel a couple of times. The rooms are small, but I've found them to be clean and comfortable, and the price is usually one of the better in town (and includes a light breakfast).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Call Joannie at Sunshine Factory for trailer rental information. It's great to stay on the DZ! I always do.

Pip and Judy have trailers for rent too.

If you decide to go with a hotel you'll need transportation daily which you don't need if staying at the DZ. They can get you to and from the Tampa or Orlando airport.

Skydive City has negotiated really good rates with at least one local hotel. Again, Joannie can tell you which.

jon

skymama

They do have trailers for rent at the dropzone, ask about those too.

If you are going to Z-hills to skydive and want to stay cheap, then renting one of Pip and Judy Redvers' trailers is definitely the answer. I lived on the DZ for about four years and wish I had never left. Seriously.

Chuck

Vex

P.S: Would there happen to be any BPA coaches/advanced instructors that work at Z-hills? Just curious.

Dave Ruffell, at the Sunshine Factory, is a BPA Advanced Instructor.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I picked up a 50$ tent and an 18$ air mattress at Walmart and camped out for 2 weeks for a total of 5$ a day.

Slept like a baby every night. -> Woke up -> Took shower -> Jumped -> Repeat

Had an amazing time and I will definitely be going back each New Year :)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

DcloudZ

I picked up a 50$ tent and an 18$ air mattress at Walmart and camped out for 2 weeks for a total of 5$ a day.

Slept like a baby every night. -> Woke up -> Took shower -> Jumped -> Repeat

Had an amazing time and I will definitely be going back each New Year :)

This. End of March thru April and the last week of Sept through the first week of Nov are the absolute best times to be in Florida. If you don't mind the tent save your money for the bar and jumping.

««««««« Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Zephyrhills
7839 Gall Blvd, 33541 Zephyrhills»»»»»»»»

This is a neat place where the breakfast is included. Shopping centers are nearby. It is at about 15-20 minutes from the DZ
If you are sure of the dates you go there, you could use PRICELINE for that place and make a bid.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

+1 on renting a trailer from Pip and Judy. Or buying/bringing a tent. Or asking around - there are people who have a spare couch or trailer or van with a mattress. I have tried all options other than a hotel at ZHills - an absolutely fantastic place, you won't want to leave, whatever you choose :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

We just came back from Z-Hills. Considered all the options and rented a trailer there.....best choice for us: affordable (more money to jump with) clean, comfortable and convenient. A lot of folks were camping and using the bath house which is spotlessly maintained. Also stayed a few nights at the Quality in $79/night - very nic e and treat jumpers as favored guests. Have a great time.
www.geronimoskydiving.com