BigTom99

16 year old tandems

Funny, did you miss the other thread on this page? :D At least he isn't 6. Your best bet is probably to use the DZ listing on here and then call all the ones that are nearby to ask.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Raeford Parachute Center IS a USPA dropzone and always has been. USPA has always permitted 16 year olds to skydive and has technically blessed off on 16 year old tandems since the FAA tandem "test period" expired and tandem jumping was passed onto the USPA a couple of years ago. Don't think for a second that you are doing anything wrong by allowing your 16 year old to skydive; you are not. The school manager at Raeford was, until this past election, the USPA regional director. The DZO was the chairman of the board of USPA for many years.

All you lawyer lovers please keep your arguments to the other 100 threads on the subject. This guy wanted to know where he could take his 16 year old for a tandem and I gave him an answer.

:)Yesterday(and i know i am in England!)we took the tandem masters son on a tandem on his 16th birthday.
The whole load all went out on the same jump with 2 smoke jumpers linking in formation.
What a birthday present.
Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

The impression I get is the whole liability angle if something were to go wrong.

To sign the waiver, youmust be a legal adult. If a parent or guardian signs it then legally they are signing away the rights of the 'child'. This makes for a legal hornets nest.

There is great advice already posted above, i'm in the 'call around' club.

Bill

I watched a video the other day where the tandem passenger was 14. The DZ was in Canada.

Here in OZ the min ages are 14yo for tandems and 16yo for AFF
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Do you happen to know what canadian dz would allow this???

i have only ever heard of one dzo alowing this and it was his son that the exception was made for.

I have seen quite a few 16 years olds jump in Alberta. My sister did a tandem at 16, and two weekends ago I dispatched a 16 year old girl who came all the way from Flagstaff to jump because she wanted to jump solo. Not sure why they chose Edmonton, but she did two IAD jumps and had a great time.

I believe it is fairly standard in Canada - 16 is a minimum age with parental consent and 18 is the minimum without. That is also subject DZO discretion of course.

You could try Skydown in Boise Idaho. Im not sure but I think they will let a 16yo go.

Idaho isnt in your back yard but its a lot closer than the east cost.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Anywhere in Quebec with parents or tutors permission. I think it's not possible elsewhere in Canada. Why.....guess...lawyers rule a bit too much. Remember that a 15 year old person can fly an airplane solo, though not able to get a pilot licence before 17. Same for driving a car, the minimum age is 16.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.