RMK

Logbook Backup

Reading through a few recent threads related to logbooks, a few have asked about backing up.

Attached is draft spreadsheet that (in addition to your physical logbook) can serve as both a backup and tool to have detailed info on your jump history and equipment.

This is a blank copy from my personal jump log sheet which I slimmed down. I entered 20 sample jumps, to show how it works. Enter your jump info on the “Jumps” sheet and the “Breakdown” sheet will update automatically. In general, green shaded cells are for entering information.

Edit and customise the entries/formulas to suit your needs. Blues.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

This is basically how I have it set up. I break out jumps by DZ, aircraft, jump type, and canopy type. I have it sum up FF time as well. Along with always having a really cool snapshot of info, I got sick of adding things up every time I apply for things (license applications, canopy courses, coaching, etc.) so I just started dumping things into a sheet. It was annoying doing the initial information dump (started around 200 jumps) but now it's pretty easy to catch up every few weeks.

An easy way to get a sort of back up for a logbook is to photocopy it or at least to photocopy a couple of pages every year ie. the first and the last one. But your idea is fine as long as the logbook owner "finds" the time to fill up the Excel pages on his computer and obviously, have a computer backup;)

Personnaly, when I jump, I have a little booklet (2 ½" x 3 ½") which I keep on me. After each jump debriefing, I write the essentials in that booklet (jump no., date, location, type of airplane, type of jump, organizer, formations done, and few other details...). On the evening I then fill up my real logbook using this booklet and my Protrack log.
Amazingly, some jumpers seeing my filling up the booklet sometimes think this is my logbook for good. They seem reinsured when I tell them this is only my temporary logbook. You can even fill up such a booklet during airplane climbing or when waiting on the bench for the airplane. I also try, at the end of the day, to start fiiling my real logbook (jump no, date, location, type of jump..) and get the signatures from the organizer or/and jumpers present in the airplane. If not possible I try to catch up those people the next morning for signatures.

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.