RUN_FMX

Jumping in Motocross Gear

In regard to ski goggles, didnt the guys who did the FLIGHT HUD use ski goggles with good effect?

I always find ski goggles restrict my vision though and would not be comfortable 100% in freefall... plus the strap outside the helmet seems... risky?
You are not the contents of your wallet.

LiborJanicek

In the latest issue (Jan) of Parachutist, one of the jumpers in the center fold is wear moto race pants and the sky surfer on the 2nd to last page is also wearing moto race pants.

I wonder if Kevlar pants would help for those slide in landings...

DrDom

In regard to ski goggles, didnt the guys who did the FLIGHT HUD use ski goggles with good effect?

I always find ski goggles restrict my vision though and would not be comfortable 100% in freefall... plus the strap outside the helmet seems... risky?

Depends on your definition of "good effect". I tried them on and felt like about 60 degrees was being trimmed off my field of vision. And the software was buggy as hell (I've heard they released a patch a while back.) It's a neat idea (I suppose) but not anything I'd ever actually wear while skydiving.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

billvon

>Your thoughts?

Beware the skydiver in the Bell helmet (or the Motocross pants, or the ski goggles.)

Yep. Beware. That was me once. Not well thought out in retrospect. I swooped into a fair race in front of the grandstands in full gear with my Bike waiting at the line. I was new to the state and was asked to help out with a demo into the fair grounds. It was a two days in a row with both days being separate events in regard to the races. After the Friday night demo I found the promoter and set it up for the next night. Had bike warmed and ready at the line. No time for a practice jump with gear but the thrill of it clouded my judgement. I had a slighter higher wingloading then normal with full gear but more importantly I had limited visuals in my Helmet and goggles. Because I was an idiot and swooped in I had visual restrictions coming around the turn which was a little lower than ideal to start and it had to come around. Turned out really good and everyone thought it was spectacular but even my ground crew didn't realize just how Ill conceived the plan was. When you can't abort the turn or fly long on the landing you really box yourself in to a corner getting it down and in. I landed inches from where I intended but that helmet caused just enough time with no vision of target that it could have caused problems. But no one knew the better except me.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

AggieDave

Literally the only people that really wear any sort of MX gear are swoopers and then its typically only MX pants.

You would probably be made fun of if you weren't a swooper...in fact, I think that us swoopers are made fun of anyways.:D

I've just bought a pair of pants, to fly with my camera jacket. May look like a dork, but better than board shorts for protection.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

***Literally the only people that really wear any sort of MX gear are swoopers and then its typically only MX pants.

You would probably be made fun of if you weren't a swooper...in fact, I think that us swoopers are made fun of anyways.:D

I've just bought a pair of pants, to fly with my camera jacket. May look like a dork, but better than board shorts for protection.

I use MX pants for hop and pops. Great protection and I got mine on clearance for ~$50 or $60. Very durable. I have seen quite a lot of jumpers wearing them for that purpose at a number of different dropzones. Nobody has ever laughed at me or even given it a second thought except to say they thought it was very practical.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Me to.
I have MX pants..Cheaper that swoop shorts ( especially last season colours ) and they offer great abrasion resistance hence protection against friction/grass burns on the legs.
Vanity doesn't come into it, i am that dork.

Regular skydiving helmet etc unless a 'Pink' Protec is available.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

FlyingRhenquest

***In regard to ski goggles, didnt the guys who did the FLIGHT HUD use ski goggles with good effect?

Depends on your definition of "good effect". I tried them on and felt like about 60 degrees was being trimmed off my field of vision. And the software was buggy as hell (I've heard they released a patch a while back.) It's a neat idea (I suppose) but not anything I'd ever actually wear while skydiving.

This was actually something I've been wondering about since I ordered a set for paramotoring but not sure I'd be willing to use them skydiving. I used just the goggles the other day without the HUD and found my vision restricted. I had not worn goggles in a long time but after just using it snowshoeing... I think I'm not too keen on jumping them...