RUN_FMX

Jumping in Motocross Gear

Aside from the obvious like not having grab handles etc, is there any reason why jumping in Motocross top and pants instead of a jump suit would be considered dangerous?

Does anyone here actually do it?

On the same note, is there any reason why you couldnt use MX / ski goggles? I know a lot of BASE jumpers do this.

Your thoughts?

Loose items like the typical motocross jersey have a tendency to blow around in freefall and can cover all your handles making it extremely dangerous if you have a high speed malfunction and can not locate any of your handles due to the shirt covering them. Swoopers wear the pants all the time for the durability they provide when sliding in 30mph landings.

Do a search for some near incidents where tshirts and other loose tops have caused issues for jumpers in freefall and under canopy.

And 'm yet to see Ski goggles catch on, most I have used tend to fog too much if they are sealed or are too bulky to wear with the typical skydiving helmet on. Sunglasses are way more common.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for the quick replies guys, pretty much summed up what I was thinking.

My reasons are pretty simple:

Jumpsuit :$500
MX Gear: FREE ;)

Plus I think it would look cool, which is obviously WAY more important than being able to find my handles!

I think I'll stick with the jumpsuit :)

Plus I think it would look cool, which is obviously WAY more important than being able to find my handles!

Holy crap - where are you buying your jumpsuit?? I had mine custom-made and it was $200.. You can buy used for as little as $50.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Wearing any type of loose clothing that is not a one piece can lead to fabric covering your handles, but if you take the appropriate steps(aka tuck it in, wear a belt), I see no reason not to. I jump regularly in shorts and a long sleeve shirt for sit fly jumps.

And as far as the moto gear goes, Ive seen a few people jump with the pants on, I have actually been considering this for a cheap and temporary use for a mix and match FF type suit till I invest in one of my own. Bottom line, talk to your local instructor, ask them what steps you need to take to wear normal clothes, and go for it.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

Literally the only people that really wear any sort of MX gear are swoopers and then its typically only MX pants.

You would probably be made fun of if you weren't a swooper...in fact, I think that us swoopers are made fun of anyways.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you want to jump in it, go ahead. Make sure the jacket part will not fly up and cover the handles. Are there open hand pockets on the jacket? I've seen reserve handles hide inside of those, so make sure those are zipped shut.

I've seen people jump in tuxedos, wet suits, Santa costumes, a short black dress (very interesting;)) and a Supergirl costume. I can't see why MX gear is such a stretch. I might not want to do RW with some one in all that protective leather, though.:D

>Your thoughts?

Beware the skydiver in the Bell helmet (or the Motocross pants, or the ski goggles.)

Why? because he is wearing a helmet that will actually protect his head if he stacks it? Yeah beware alright because when he does stack it he will stand up and walk back to the shed on his own...

Holy crap - where are you buying your jumpsuit?? I had mine custom-made and it was $200.. You can buy used for as little as $50.

holy crap - where have you been buying yours!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Arent you that guy who rides FMX for the Crusty demons? ;)
Just spent all day watching videos of you on youtube doinf some sick shit in massive stadiums.
You are Steve Gregor right?

Welcome to the sport!

Bro, Nothing wrong with jumping in motocross gear mate, however I think you might be looking into it a bit too much, as there is nothing wrong with jumping in tshirts and shorts.

However, from what I have heard about you and how you are going through your levels, I would suggest you take it seriously and get a decent RW suit, learn the skills and then get a nice freefly suit. If you are taking skydiving serious and you are already use to a lifetime of sponsorship through the world FMX circuit, I would seriosuly consider getting the right gear and doing it the right way.

Besides, the discounts you are being offered, dealers cant even get.

DeepSeed and KKrew have got your back.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

not everyone lives in America and buys suits with USD.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Paid $300 this season for a new jumpsuit - a very nice one at that. Why would it be so much more expensive than in the USA?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Paid $300 this season for a new jumpsuit - a very nice one at that. Why would it be so much more expensive than in the USA?

New Zealand dollars != US$ on exchange rate is my guess and as his location is NZ I guess he used NZD.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I wear my MX pants when I shoot video (with my camera jacket) and fun jump. I think that they are really comfertable, and it looks cool since I have "ROCKSTAR"across my Ass. I used to wear a MX jersey when I would sit fly but have since got a Free Fly suit. In my opinion its a good starting point, if you dont have a lot of cash to drop on gear. Buy a rig and parachute then worry about the suits later. As for the gloves I would go with batting gloves over MX gloves beacuse I dont need any armor on the top of my gloves, and MX goggles would be a little bulky for my liking in Freefall

"Pilots without Maintainers are just pedestrians with cool jackets and sunglasses"

When i have start mx riding for jumping so i have wear my motocross suit, pant and i have shoot video with my camera motocross suit and fun jump. I think that they are really comfertable, and it looks cool since I have "boldersports"across my wear. I used to wear a motocross jersey when I would sit fly but have since got a motorcross suit. In my opinion its a good starting point, if you dont have a lot of cash to drop on gear.

Motocross Suit

RUN_FMX

Aside from the obvious like not having grab handles etc, is there any reason why jumping in Motocross top and pants instead of a jump suit would be considered dangerous?

Does anyone here actually do it?

On the same note, is there any reason why you couldnt use MX / ski goggles? I know a lot of BASE jumpers do this.

Your thoughts?

And then... you could LAND ON YOUR BIKE while someone plays an AWESOME HEAVY METAL RIFF! WhhhaAAAAAAAAAAA! FUCK YEAH!

*edit* Naturally there'd have to be some explosions. And you could be ON FIRE!

Excuse me, I just had an idea for the BEST COMMERCIAL EVER!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

This person has two posts, both containing a link to their Motocross Suits website and one of which (this one) is extreme thread necromancy. Mods... can we have a report button?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?