DrDom

Noob Q of the day: Angle Dives vs Track Dive?

Hey guys, I keep hearing all about "angle diving" and have no idea what it is. I understand what tracking dives are and I thought that it was the same but then I was listening to SDR and heard them listed separately.

Help a noob out... what does this terminology mean?

Cheers!
You are not the contents of your wallet.

A Tracking Dive is defined as one in which the majority of the time is spent in a track, with a fairly normal freefall descent rate and a substantial amount of horizontal movement. The flight path typically covers up to a kilometer (.6 mile) or more of horizontal distance and is often in a straight line or has only slight course changes.

An Angle Flying Dive is defined as one in which there is a horizontal component, but the angle is much steeper than a conventional tracking dive, resulting in a faster fall rate and less horizontal movement. The horizontal component may involve several direction changes. Some people call these atmonauti or tracing dives.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

A Tracking Dive is defined as one in which the majority of the time is spent in a track, with a fairly normal freefall descent rate and a substantial amount of horizontal movement. The flight path typically covers up to a kilometer (.6 mile) or more of horizontal distance and is often in a straight line or has only slight course changes.

An Angle Flying Dive is defined as one in which there is a horizontal component, but the angle is much steeper than a conventional tracking dive, resulting in a faster fall rate and less horizontal movement. The horizontal component may involve several direction changes. Some people call these atmonauti or tracing dives.

Sparky

I was trying to sort it out from SDR but it wasnt clicking, this ^^^ makes more sense and is fascinating...

Thanks for the patience in the question, I know it is a bit amateur but hearing the lingo is one thing, understanding it is another :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

mjosparky

Sparky

:D:D:D