potatoman

Difference between jumping now and then

JohnMitchell

The sport is cool and sleek now, but it was amazing like barn storming, then!

Yeah, when you were geared up, you were geared up. Heavy backpack, reserve with belly band cinched nice and tight, waddle/rattle when you walked to the plane. Oh, watch those handles sticking out everywhere. :D

It's a good thing there weren't any seat belts to get hung up on. ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

oldwomanc6

Yeah, when you were geared up, you were geared up. Heavy backpack, reserve with belly band cinched nice and tight, waddle/rattle when you walked to the plane. Oh, watch those handles sticking out everywhere. :D

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Sparky

You were stylin'! B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Darn, some of you are old.....LOL

Me hitting 20years in the sport is less than half of some out there. I am amazed.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

joesky

hi Jerry

"Your 'old days' are rather young. In my old days it was a 15 cm disc."

yikes, I'm not that old! I started with the small plastic frizbees which were probably not much bigger than 10 cm.

Joe

THAT is a GREAT pic!!! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi joe,

Re: THAT is a GREAT pic!!!

A tip from a very old accuracy jumper, set up your approach so that you can go for the disc with your right foot if you are dropping the gut pack to the left side.

Can you actually see the disc with the gut pack blocking the view?

And still a very good photo.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Depends when you got to 73. I made it on 18 Sep 40.

Well??????

Well, so far, you hold the DZ olde fart record by about six months. I won't be 73 until March 7 of this year.

A few hours after throwing out the challenge of who was older here, I remember you and I mentioning our "old age" a few years ago. It was only a matter of time before you'd hobble in here and I'd de-throned.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Guru312

Depends when you got to 73. I made it on 18 Sep 40.

Well??????

Well, so far, you hold the DZ olde fart record by about six months. I won't be 73 until March 7 of this year.

A few hours after throwing out the challenge of who was older here, I remember you and I mentioning our "old age" a few years ago. It was only a matter of time before you'd hobble in here and I'd de-throned.

I think it's great you are BOTH here posting!

These whippersnappers think I'M old! :ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

I think it's great you are BOTH here posting! ... :ph34r:;)

*I* think it's great we are BOTH here posting!!

After a few dozen accuracy landings like in the one shown in joesky's nostalgic photo, I'm lucky to be walking as well as I do. Although I made quite a few jumps into pea gravel during accuracy competition, I also made dozens of jumps aiming for a target with 10 foot legs of white canvas.

When the canopy is a C-9 with a double L or TU modification I'd be lucky to get within 100 feet of the target. For the most part, being able to hit any part of the target was a big deal.

When I opened my first DZ in 1969 the State of New Jersey required the "drop zone" to be 1800 feet in diameter with no trees or shrubbery and be covered with either sand or grass!!

One thing that folks learned how to do rather quickly back in the early days was how to spot.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Hi Guru,

*I* think it's great we are BOTH here posting!!

YES!!!!!! +1001

When the canopy is a C-9 with a double L or TU modification I'd be lucky to get within 100 feet of the target.

I entered my first competition with about 20 jumps with a C-9 with a blow-hole mod. I made the field on all three jumps; some of the 'seniors' didn't.

B|

JerryBaumchen

Jerry said: A tip from a very old accuracy jumper, set up your approach so that you can go for the disc with your right foot if you are dropping the gut pack to the left side.
Can you actually see the disc with the gut pack blocking the view?

hi Jerry
yes, you're right, but the answer to the problem is not on what side you swing the reserve to, but rather making sure you are square to the disc when you get there. In the picture you can see that my capewells/shoulders are not square so I am having to peek past the reserve. Unfortunately that also means my canopy is moving laterally instead directly to the disc. As a result I had to use my left foot and I missed the dead center - got a couple pennies.
But yes, it is a great shot that I thank Ron Dionne ("the King of the Island") for. I think it was an interclub at Abbotsford in '68.
Today, of course, we don't have to worry about the gut pack and I mostly can keep myself square to the pad as in this shot from last Dec.
thanks