airtwardo

Mike Truffer ~ still giving to the sport!

Wow! Mike, as I recall, was the one who started that fund. That's really putting your money where your mouth is! Mike, after seeing so many other national teams being sponsored by governments, and knowing that this wouldn't happen for the U.S., he started the fund to provide perpetual assistance to our own US team. It's not big enough yet to pay for 100% of expenses, but competitors today are a lot better off than they were before the fund.

airtwardo

Jim Hayhurst posted this pic on his FB page ~

Mike's donation of $400,000 to the U.S. Team Trust Fund.

God bless you Mike and thanks!

That's the finest act of skydiving philanthropy I've seen in years!

Thanks, and blue skies, Mike!! We'll see you over there.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

mjosparky

That is really amazing. I wonder if PiLFy still thinks Mike is trying to steal from him.

Sparky

Huh? Spark, do you mean USPA's money grab last year regarding A-cards, that MANY members railed against? That was a separate issue, entirely. I read, & respect/appreciate what Truffer did w/the fund he envisioned.

Haven't heard from you in quite a while, Sparky. You HAD appeared to lose the chip on your shoulder (?). If you feel the need to take a shot at me. Have at it, but use something I'm actually against.

grimmie

Legend...

Indeed...talk about a love for and a commitment to!

25+ years ago Bill Ottley use to be a frequent visitor staying with a skydiving roomie & I out in San Diego.

I remember him telling me he'd set up something along those lines as well...and suggesting we do the same.

At the time I wasn't really in a position to do so, but seeing Mike's thoughtful generosity and knowing more now in regard to how those funds are needed & used...

I think I'm going to get with 'my guy' next week and discuss possibilities.

This 'stupid hobby' has given a lot to many of us...what better legacy to leave than paying back a bit of what's owed, with a gesture which helps to advance the sport for many more generations to come.

I always knew Mike Truffer was a very special kind of person and had both respect for him as an individual and high regard for his accomplishments...

This 'final act' speaks volumes - I'm truly honored to have known him!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

PiLFy

***That is really amazing. I wonder if PiLFy still thinks Mike is trying to steal from him.

Sparky

Huh? Spark, do you mean USPA's money grab last year regarding A-cards, that MANY members railed against? That was a separate issue, entirely. I read, & respect/appreciate what Truffer did w/the fund he envisioned.

Haven't heard from you in quite a while, Sparky. You HAD appeared to lose the chip on your shoulder (?). If you feel the need to take a shot at me. Have at it, but use something I'm actually against.

You were the only one that accused Mike of stealing. You should go back to SC.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Boogers,

Wow! Mike, as I recall, was the one who started that fund.

A little trivia for you.

Many, many years ago Mike was going to Europe as some type of assistant to the US Parachute Team. While waiting in the airport for departure, he noticed some guys who were the US Competition Shooting Team ( or some name similar ) who were very well outfitted with gear bags, clothing, etc. He walked over and started talking to some of them to see how they were getting the money for all of the goodies. They told him that they had a donation-type fund setup and only used the income for their US Team travels.

The light went on in Mike's head and today we have the US Parachute Team Fund.

JerryBaumchen

"You were the only one that accused Mike of stealing. You should go back to SC.

Sparky"

Show me. I've no memory of doing so. I recall being angered by USPA's decision to no longer allow completed A cards to be accepted as a license. USPA's BOD vote on that wasn't unanimous. One of the Nays had called it for what it was, a money grab. At the time, considerable anger was also directed at USPA's funding (& unfairly promoting) a demo team. Membership dollars & resources were being used to field a demo team that would directly compete for business from members who've earned that on their own.

chuckakers

******That's the finest act of skydiving philanthropy I've seen in years!

What other donors have contributed more money than this?

I stand corrected. ;)

I wasn't really criticizing your statement, I was just wondering if anyone else had done more. I don't really know, but can't think of any. Ottley had money, but I recall him donating things like custom trophies, and not this kind of cash. Anyone know of other huge donations like this?

Boogers

*********That's the finest act of skydiving philanthropy I've seen in years!

What other donors have contributed more money than this?

I stand corrected. ;)

I wasn't really criticizing your statement, I was just wondering if anyone else had done more. I don't really know, but can't think of any. Ottley had money, but I recall him donating things like custom trophies, and not this kind of cash. Anyone know of other huge donations like this?

No worries, Boog. Not that I know of, unless you want to consider the various money bags who have operated DZ's, for the sake of keeping them open. I've known several people over the years who fit that description.

Of course that's different than an outright donation.

Mike Truffer = awesome.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

jumpwally

i didn't realize he was that well off.

Did he make all that money off of "Skydiving" magazine, which he published for decades?

If so, just think of it - all of our subscription money for all those years, went towards getting this $400k back for the sport. What a deal!

Hi Boogers,

Did he make all that money off of "Skydiving" magazine

I think so. He was a military brat; his dad was a Colonel in the USAF as I recall.

Mike got a degree in Anthropology or something similar from the UC-Davis. Then went to work for USPA. Left USPA & started the magazine.

Entrepreneurship is alive and well in the USA.

JerryBaumchen

PS) The world awaits the next SKYDIVING magazine. Here's your chance. :)

JerryBaumchen

Hi Boogers,

Did he make all that money off of "Skydiving" magazine

I think so. He was a military brat; his dad was a Colonel in the USAF as I recall.

Mike got a degree in Anthropology or something similar from the UC-Davis. Then went to work for USPA. Left USPA & started the magazine.

Entrepreneurship is alive and well in the USA.

JerryBaumchen

PS) The world awaits the next SKYDIVING magazine. Here's your chance. :)

http://blueskiesmag.com/ :)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals