davidg39

How do backflips affect free fall speed?

I'm new to the sport - I received my license last month. I was wondering how backflips affect a skydivers vertical fall rate? Does it increase and if so how much?

If they do increase your fall rate, how long does it take in a stable belly to earth to return to TV?

Thanks everyone.

Yes.
Some, but not a whole lot.
Very quickly.

It happens quickly enough that it really doesn't make any significant difference.

If you do one right next to another jumper in stable belly fall, you will dip below them a few feet, if you do the backloop smoothly and quickly. Even if you get "stuck" on your back, that position won't give you much extra speed.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you want to try something pretty wild then do a back flip but stay all tucked up with your chin down and knees together once you get going. Hold this position. Keep holding... You'll feel the relative wind hit your feet and flip you over backwards faster and faster. The rotation speed will increase to an amazing rate! It's wild! Surprisingly, it's simple to stop on a dime and return to flat and stable on command. You may be dizzy for a sec tho. WooHoo!!

jon

jonstark

If you want to try something pretty wild then do a back flip but stay all tucked up with your chin down and knees together once you get going. Hold this position. Keep holding... You'll feel the relative wind hit your feet and flip you over backwards faster and faster. The rotation speed will increase to an amazing rate! It's wild! Surprisingly, it's simple to stop on a dime and return to flat and stable on command. You may be dizzy for a sec tho. WooHoo!!

jon

Makes for some fun GoPro vid too! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

jonstark

jon

I could totally see me losing my lunch overdoing that...
You are not the contents of your wallet.

jonstark

jon

Know what I'm doing next jump.

LivyFallsFast

***If you want to try something pretty wild then do a back flip but stay all tucked up with your chin down and knees together once you get going. Hold this position. Keep holding... You'll feel the relative wind hit your feet and flip you over backwards faster and faster. The rotation speed will increase to an amazing rate! It's wild! Surprisingly, it's simple to stop on a dime and return to flat and stable on command. You may be dizzy for a sec tho. WooHoo!!

jon

just cannonball it straight out the door, hang on to your knees as tight as possible and see how long you can hang on! B|

it really depends who does the flips, I'm a light ass and you won't see me lose any altitude relative to someone else in a quick backflip. if we have a 4 way with a backflip involved i have to slow down my flip so i can sink with everyone else.

ridebmxbikes

******If you want to try something pretty wild then do a back flip but stay all tucked up with your chin down and knees together once you get going. Hold this position. Keep holding... You'll feel the relative wind hit your feet and flip you over backwards faster and faster. The rotation speed will increase to an amazing rate! It's wild! Surprisingly, it's simple to stop on a dime and return to flat and stable on command. You may be dizzy for a sec tho. WooHoo!!

jon

just cannonball it straight out the door, hang on to your knees as tight as possible and see how long you can hang on! B|

it really depends who does the flips, I'm a light ass and you won't see me lose any altitude relative to someone else in a quick backflip. if we have a 4 way with a backflip involved i have to slow down my flip so i can sink with everyone else.

My first solo jump was this at the suggestion of a few people. It was pretty damn fun.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.