Kirkk0herra

I'm about to sign up for an AFF course. Beginner questions.

ianyapxw

I think your post is off.

He might be legitimately ready before 200 flights to fly with a camera, or he might think he's ready before 200 flights though he isn't. Simply stating

make a few jumps and then let us know if you feel that you have focus to spare

isn't the way to convince him.

My point is that it's quite hard for someone who hasn't made a single jump to get involved in a meaningful debate regarding the effects of wearing a camera in freefall.

I dont get the rush to mount a camera. Seriously. I don't.

If you want pics to show all your friends what you do as a student talk to your instructor and see if they video you.

You wont have the skill to fly safely AND video someone else for a while.

I may only have a few jumps, but I can say with certainty the LESS "things" the better. Simple analogue altimeter is about all the gear you need aside from your helmet/rig. If I had one more thing to pull my mind away while dealing with the fear, adrenaline, and sensory overload of exiting a plane... I'd probably not be here. The folks on here have a ton of experience and GREAT points: snag risk, distraction, snag on your friend, and all kinds of unpredictable events. Why the rush to add more risk to a dangerous sport?

If you want to show off what you did have someone video you. Seriously. If you want pretty pictures of scenery from altitude... have someone bring you up in the 182 and take some pics out the door. You'll get better pics and less risk of your life.

I stopped caring about my YouTube videos when I realized I was jumping out of planes for my own experience, not someone else's. Maybe once you're in the sky the importance of video-evidence will be mitigated.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

ianyapxw

I think your post is off.

He might be legitimately ready before 200 flights to fly with a camera, or he might think he's ready before 200 flights though he isn't. Simply stating

isn't the way to convince him.

To Kirkk0herra, there are a variety of reasons, such as snag hazard or awareness. A jumper can focus too much on getting the shot and losing track of other jumpers or the altitude.

edit: at the end of the day, standards are not set by us. It is set by people who are (supposedly) knowledgeable and experienced and act in our best interest. The true reason(s) will only be known by them, everything else is just bits and pieces we hear.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of jumping experience are you basing your statement on?

There are very few people ready ahead of the recommendations.

There are lots and lots who think they are "special."

Read the stickies in Photog & Vid and see what you find.
And the "true reasons" are always stated. Ask nicely and be willing to listen, and you will get explanations for any rule there is. Most of them will involve someone getting hurt or killed.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I think you're missing the point of my post. I'm not here to comment about people's abilities and regulations and stuff.

I thought the reply

isn't the best way to continue the discussion. Feeling is a pretty bad gauge, let alone asking someone if he feels ready

ianyapxw

I think you're missing the point of my post. I'm not here to comment about people's abilities and regulations and stuff.

I thought the reply

isn't the best way to continue the discussion. Feeling is a pretty bad gauge, let alone asking someone if he feels ready

Let me try one last time then, just for you.

1. Non-jumper is puzzled by the 200-jump recommendation.
2. I suggest that by making a few jumps and actually experiencing the stress he will perhaps become less puzzled.

manseman

Let me try one last time then, just for you.

1. Non-jumper is puzzled by the 200-jump recommendation.
2. I suggest that by making a few jumps and actually experiencing the stress he will perhaps become less puzzled.

Thanks buddy. The sport does seem to have almost two sides. I was told that after 200 jumps -if one is a solid performer- one can move onto BASE. And now one needs 200 jumps for a GoPro. Like I stated previously I understand the reasons behind restrictions. I just thought 200 times anything is plenty.

Kirkk0herra

Thanks buddy. The sport does seem to have almost two sides. I was told that after 200 jumps -if one is a solid performer- one can move onto BASE. And now one needs 200 jumps for a GoPro. Like I stated previously I understand the reasons behind restrictions. I just thought 200 times anything is plenty.

Well, that does in no way mean that base and wearing a camera for regular skydives requires the same skills, attitude or level of experience, or that the risks involved are at all similar. It just means that neither activity is suitable for a beginner. Also keep in mind that a skydive is very, very short. 200 skydives is about 3 hours of freefall.

And almost everybody wears a camera eventually while almost nobody goes into base.

It isn't like 200 is a universal number. In Canada you need a B license, which one can qualify for with a minimum of 50 jumps, but of course not everyone gets every license at the minimum.

Either way, skydivers are expected to have a bunch of jumps after they are no longer students, before getting distracted by a camera.

As for Finnish, UK, or Spanish rules... I have no clue.

Kirkk0herra

I was told that after 200 jumps -if one is a solid performer- one can move onto BASE.

The numbers are the same, but the reasoning is totally different. You could regard it as a coincidence.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

manseman

Well, that does in no way mean that base and wearing a camera for regular skydives requires the same skills, attitude or level of experience, or that the risks involved are at all similar. It just means that neither activity is suitable for a beginner. Also keep in mind that a skydive is very, very short. 200 skydives is about 3 hours of freefall.

And almost everybody wears a camera eventually while almost nobody goes into base.

More than 100 skydivers a year apply and get their base numbers I would assume double that who do not get their numbers
I would assume that would mean that more than 300 skydivers take up base each year a lot do not continue with base
one course does over 100 a year by themselves
not a lot compared to skydiving but base is getting pretty popular
BASE 1519