chalko

Advice needed: Jumping two rigs with different canopy sizes...

Hi guys
Ill first explain my situation. Im getting back into the sport after doing my AFF a couple of years ago and doing a handful of jumps afterwards. Im away travelling at the moment and have an opportunity to buy another rig. I have a rig back home with a 170 in it that I never got round to jumping, I stayed on a 210. The rig im looking at buying has a storm 230 in it plus a new AAD which I need to get anyway. My friend back home also has an aad with a year or so left so I can put that into one of the rigs to.
I can get the rig pretty cheap because of the exchance rates over here and could even get another canopy to go with it for a middle margin while I downsizing to the 170. I could then either sell the rig or keep it and have the two to jump. Either way id be keeping the new AAD and getting it very cheap if not free because of the exchange rates. Im planning a teip for 3+ month skydiving this summer and plan on doing a bucket load of jumps.

So my question is there downsides to jumping two rigs with two different canopy sizes or is it good to have the variation?

And is there

Is there a maximum recomended difference between them?

Thanks for your time and replies.
Olie

chalko

Hi guys
Ill first explain my situation. Im getting back into the sport after doing my AFF a couple of years ago and doing a handful of jumps afterwards. Im away travelling at the moment and have an opportunity to buy another rig. I have a rig back home with a 170 in it that I never got round to jumping, I stayed on a 210. The rig im looking at buying has a storm 230 in it plus a new AAD which I need to get anyway. My friend back home also has an aad with a year or so left so I can put that into one of the rigs to.
I can get the rig pretty cheap because of the exchance rates over here and could even get another canopy to go with it for a middle margin while I downsizing to the 170. I could then either sell the rig or keep it and have the two to jump. Either way id be keeping the new AAD and getting it very cheap if not free because of the exchange rates. Im planning a teip for 3+ month skydiving this summer and plan on doing a bucket load of jumps.

So my question is there downsides to jumping two rigs with two different canopy sizes or is it good to have the variation?

And is there

Olie

It depends on your comfort level and experience. For wingsuiting I use a 135. For all other free fall I use a 120. For CRW I jump 126, 143, or 160.

If you are asking if its a good idea for you to transition directly from a 230 to a 170, I'd say hell no.

GobbleGobble

***Hi guys

And is there

Olie

It depends on your comfort level and experience. For wingsuiting I use a 135. For all other free fall I use a 120. For CRW I jump 126, 143, or 160.

If you are asking if its a good idea for you to transition directly from a 230 to a 170, I'd say hell no.

No I deffintly not thinking of going straight from a 230 to a 170!
Im more thinking of buying the 230 rig and possibly a 210 or 190 canopy here as I can get them cheaper. Jumping this rig until I can downsize to my 170 rig. Thus saving money on kit hire and getting an add for next to nothing. Then I would have to option of keeping the larger rig if I wanted. I could keep it with a 190 in it and have the two to jump once I was confident with the 170. But saying this if its not a good idea I could just sell the larger rig anyway and just jump my 170....

SoCalJumper

With your jumps numbers I'm of the opinion it is unwise to be jumping two different rigs.

What kind of jump number\experience would u recommend? Would it be worth holding on to the rig untill nearer the end of my trip so that I could make more jumps?

How many jumps have you made in the last 6 months? You said you did your AFF + other jumps 2 years ago……that is a life time if your jumpers are under 50. Slow down and think this through.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I haven't jumped in over a year and a half as ive been out travelling so I k ow I would need to do a lot with instructors first. Fair enough ill take the advice that shouldnt be jumping two rigs on this trip that I have planned. If I am to buy thelarger rig ill sell it on once im ready to down size. What is a rough estimateof jumps to downsize to a 170? I know it depends on the jumper. I would be jumping daily. Im 5ft 10 80kg. If that helps....

chalko

******Hi guys

And is there

Olie

No I deffintly not thinking of going straight from a 230 to a 170!
Im more thinking of buying the 230 rig and possibly a 210 or 190 canopy here as I can get them cheaper. Jumping this rig until I can downsize to my 170 rig. Thus saving money on kit hire and getting an add for next to nothing. Then I would have to option of keeping the larger rig if I wanted. I could keep it with a 190 in it and have the two to jump once I was confident with the 170. But saying this if its not a good idea I could just sell the larger rig anyway and just jump my 170....

Please slowly work your way down. I think as far as a purchasing strategy what you've outlined is ok. What might bite you in the ass is self control. Are you disciplined enough to NOT hook up that smaller canopy till you've put some solid jumps in? Are you going to do hop and pops and focus just on canopy control (you should). The swooping forum has a sticky thread with some great resources. Read them, do the exercises. Understand what they are telling you. If you don't, ask.

chalko

What is a rough estimateof jumps to downsize to a 170? I know it depends on the jumper. I would be jumping daily. Im 5ft 10 80kg. If that helps....

Ballpark, maybe 200 or so.

[edit: this is totally a finger in the air, which is all you asked for - seek professional advice in person ;)]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

chalko

Not really. At your experience level though, any difference will make learning difficult. Stick with one size until proficient with it, then another size until proficient with it, then another.

I just a 370 for tandems, 139 for wingsuiting and a 96 for everything else. Not super hard to go back and forth but I also have thousands of jumps of experience. When I was learning something new I pretty much only jumped that.

You need consistency of gear between jumps so that you can actually learn about the other factors, wind, location, flight planning, etc.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka