BORNEassault

Can I complete AFF and get an A license through multiple schools?

I'm completing the first levels of AFF in California and will be moving twice to 2 different states in the next 6 months because of the military. The ultimate goal is to get the A license, just wondering if I'll be able jump at other schools around the nation and continue working towards an A license without losing any progress? May be a stupid question but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

BORNEassault

I'm completing the first levels of AFF in California and will be moving twice to 2 different states in the next 6 months because of the military. The ultimate goal is to get the A license, just wondering if I'll be able jump at other schools around the nation and continue working towards an A license without losing any progress? May be a stupid question but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

You should be able to continue progress at multiple drop zones. You may or may not be able to do that without doing some repeat training/jumps. It would depend upon the particulars of the timing of your moves, the completeness of your records, and the particular drop zones that are involved. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

What is the longest time you will be in one place? Will you be able to jump regularly? every weekend? during the week?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

BORNEassault

Short answer, yes.

Advice:
1. Before you start jumping, purchase a log book. Most Pro Shops will have them.
2. Tell your instructors what your expect to happen (regarding moving), take any advice they can offer, AND get the USPA license progression card in your hand before the first jump.
3. Insist (politely) that the instructors sign off on all of the training objectives that you cover, each and every jump.

With your log book and progression card in hand, you will be ready to show up at the next DZ down the road. Expect to be asked to repeat your previous jump (if in AFF) or do some other form of evaluation jump with an instructor to demonstrate that you are current and have the basic skills expected for your level of training. "Been there and done that", as they say.

Edit:
And also get a copy of the SIM, study well the student section, section 4, and understand that at each category there are things that need to be done and signed off on your progression card. Take charge of this understanding and don't hope that someone else will watch out for you. Know that when you finish Category B, what you should have done and have signed off. That is what you need to avoid being behind and repeating jumps because of missing documentation.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Thanks for the info, more definitive than anything I had before. The longest I'll be in one place for the next 2 years will be around 6 months and I should be able to jump almost every weekend but won't be able to get any jumps in during the week. I figured I may have to repeat some levels but I think the first thing I'm going to do is get a log book so I can keep good records of my jumps and progress. Thanks again!

I completed my A license jumping every other weekend in 3 months. Those were fall/winter months so I was weathered out some weekends. If you can jump just about every weekend you should be able to get your A at one place. At the very least you should be able to get to self-supervised status at one place.

That advice about keeping good records (both a log book and an A license progression card) was really good advice. Every drop zone I've jumped at had log books for sale. Almost all DZs are going to have a few basics for sale (goggles, altimeters, logbook, etc). The large drop zones may have full gear stores, the smaller ones won't but some are able to order on request.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"