lewiskelly

Regulations on opening a new drop zone (UK or USA)

I'm starting to put together some future plans (more of a pipe dream at the moment) to set up a skydiving dropzone in the UK and wanted to know what regulations there are or laws associated with setting up a new dropzone on an existing airfield?
I thought this place would be the best place to go to get good around knowledge.
Hope someone can help!

Just out of curiosity what are the regulation and laws in the US?

Blue Skies & Safe Landings!

Somebody asked this same question a few months ago I think the answer he got from most people was something along the line of "if you have to ask, you shouldn't". If you want to open a DZ you either have been around long enough to know how to or have enough money to pay somebody that does.

thanks for the reply, and fully understand your point was really just asking the question to gain knowledge on the subject as this is to be something I'm looking to do it lets say 20ish years time, not looking to set up shop tomorrow, so you got to start somewhere and i supposed this would be my first step on seeing if anyone know of any regulations, licences or approvals need in order to eventually set up a DZ.

This is not actually the best place to ask.

The British Parachute Association, though, would be a very good place. You don't have to be a BPA DZ in the UK but in practice all of them are, and their operating rules are available on their website - they have also been known to answer email.

Let us know what you find out?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

If you're thinking twenty years out then I predict the regulatory climate to be dramatically different than it is today in both the UK and USA.

If you're thinking about making a small fortune as a DZO you better start with a big one...

jon

Try asking the British Parachute Association, United States Parachute Association, Canadian Sports Parachute Association and Australian Parachute Federation, because all of them have published guidelines for opening new DZs.
All the national parachuting organizations have similar standards, with BPA having the tightest safety regulations.

IOW a Basic Safety Regulation written by USPA may not be LAW in England, but it is considered "best business practice."

One of the first things you need to do is get permission from the local airport administration/or owner if it is a privately-owned airfield. Airport management will want to see a sound business plan and plenty of insurance. At a minimum, they will want to see third party liability insurance to repair any airplane you accidentally land on.

Early in the process, you should also talk with local air traffic controllers.

riggerrob

One of the first things you need to do is get permission from the local airport administration/or owner if it is a privately-owned airfield. Airport management will want to see a sound business plan and plenty of insurance. At a minimum, they will want to see third party liability insurance to repair any airplane you accidentally land on.

To hell with being beholden to a landowner or airport manager. Buy your own airport, and become your own owner/manager. Be beholden to no one but yourself. That's the only way to run a DZ without continuous threats of being kicked off.

jonstark

If you're thinking twenty years out then I predict the regulatory climate to be dramatically different than it is today in both the UK and USA.

If you're thinking about making a small fortune as a DZO you better start with a big one...

jon

This is the old joke that doesnt hold as much truth now as it once did. While it does take some a crap ton of capital to start and you can fall flat on your face or barely scrape by, there are many DZs turning tandems and making money like gangbusters.